Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which team did you play in the last game?

Glorious Arstotzka
- 17 (16%)
Glorious Moskurg
- 13 (12.3%)
Ingloriously Didn't Play
- 76 (71.7%)

Total Members Voted: 106

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 500

Author Topic: Intercontinental Arms Race: Finale  (Read 565846 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1938 (Strategy Phase)
« Reply #975 on: May 08, 2017, 07:36:50 pm »

Actually, here's a thought.  What if we pressed the center?  Our carriers should do better with clearer visibility, and we can paratroop into the sparse islands.  They had the advantage in the tundra last turn and we've done nothing to directly boost our infantry; perhaps we could catch them by surprise?  If we gain a foothold we take away their Aluminum bonus.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 08, 2017, 07:37:34 pm »

Though we've been doing better in that Arena, they do in fact still have a Major Naval Advantage.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 08, 2017, 07:52:52 pm »

With clear weather, that could be a Minor or even an Even Advantage. 

But yeah, it was just a thought.  Tundra can't be any worse of a choice.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 08, 2017, 07:58:42 pm »

Pushing islands without landing craft is asking for a repeat of the really bad Gallipoli landings. Without the tactics or equipment for taking a beachhead, you're asking for issues. As in, death and loss on a large scale.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Intercontinental Arms Race: Spring 1938 (Revision Phase)
« Reply #979 on: May 08, 2017, 08:08:38 pm »

Throwing up some more ambitious stuff so that people have that option...

Revision: Double-reckless!
Cited as a consequence of prematurely awarding Vodka for the assumed success of fixing such a minor detail, the engineers were a little over-enthusiastic, and were apparently fantasizing about a "Twoteecee" that they had to catch... The results were predictibly ambitious for what could be done in a shed with a hack-saw and a hand-welder...
In short, two Reckless-Effect transport planes had their opposing ends removed and the stubs welded together with a little bracing for good-measure. The exposed control-lines(Obviously twisted together and welded) just "add to the charm". The greatly elongated cabin slowws loading, but it seemed that more time to drink was regarded as an asset. They 'solved' the cargo problem by welding some bars onto the walls to which cargo can be tied(After deciding that welding the cargo to the plane every trip would be too much effort...), but they also added a pair of winches with securing pins they removed from the shed's doors to provide a backup to the door opening and closing, and replaced the faulty springs with empty bottles, which also seemed to fix the problem...

Overall it has enough additional lift and thrust to carry a lot of cargo, and while it can't rally turn as more than a vague suggestion, the engineers were proud to point out that "Canners can't shoot straight, so straight is the only direction you should go!". More good news is that the only expensive components to be reproduced were the engines, so things could be worse there... Bless their demented hearts, they have made a thing of beauty, alas it shall most likely never see the light of day...

Revision FUAF-MTA-38-p
The paratroop version of the design has been refined to support combat conditions while correcting issues in the base design that prevented proper functions. Namely, the automated system was a good idea, poorly implemented. The components have been brought up to code and failsafes have been implemented. These correction have been added to the base version, which can still be fielded in friendly skies. Turrets have been transplanted from the AS-1931-HAFB to provide cover. Two either side below and behind the wings and one above and ahead of them. Overhead rails have been added to support paratrooper deployment and underfoot rails have been added to support cargo-drops. While carabiners and air-tanks+piped-masks have been added to secure the crew during open-bay operations.

Quote from: Revision Votes
Plan Corrective Measures: (2) Lightforger, Khan Boyzitbig
Pattern B (General performance and reliability): (1) Taricus
Reliability Sustainment Plan: (7) evictedSaint, Powder Miner, Strongpoint, Andrea, NUKE9.13, Helmacon, Madman198237
Double-reckless!(0):
FUAF-MTA-38-p(0):

Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Hibou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 08, 2017, 08:09:02 pm »

Code: [Select]
Jungle-Desert Island (3): Powder Miner, Lightforger, Hibou
Southern Tundra Island (3): Powder Miner, Lightforger, Hibou

Madman does have a point, and now with more rapid resupply and paratroopers we'll be more effective on the fronts we already have a foothold in, which means we'll likely take the jungle completely this turn.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 08, 2017, 08:13:13 pm »

Code: [Select]
Jungle-Desert Island (4): Powder Miner, Lightforger, Hibou, Madman198237
Southern Tundra Island (4): Powder Miner, Lightforger, Hibou, Madman198237
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 08, 2017, 08:31:36 pm »

Is there any advantage to attacking an area if you don't win there? As far as I could see, all it affected is the outcome of a win.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #983 on: May 08, 2017, 08:36:00 pm »

I'd imagine it would make it harder for the enemy to gain ground, since you're pushing back and throwing more resources into the area.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 08, 2017, 08:39:22 pm »

I am not sure that's how it works; pushing an area just means you advance if you win.

Mulisa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 08, 2017, 09:03:49 pm »

Given the Arstozkan enthusiasm for rocketry, the fact that we're not deploying any is downright criminal.

UFAF-AGR-19XX-1 "Molniya"
180 centimeters long and 130 millimeters wide, the Molniya is an unguided air-to-ground rocket carrying a 4 kilogram payload of TNT. The rocket is stabilized by small fins and powered by a solid fuel rocket motor capable of accelerating the 60 kilogram projectile to speeds in excess of 400 meters per second.

UFAF-AAR-19XX-1 "Grom"
Grom is a smaller rocket derived from the Molniya at 85 centimeters long, 120 millimeters wide and 25 kilograms in weigth, boasting only a 1 kilogram warhead in a fragmenting casing, Grom has a small propeller at the tip, running a simple mechanical distance calculator that detonates the warhead after a specific distance has been traveled.
...so my military were a bunch of bearded mud wrestlers.
Send in the plague kittens!

Glory to Forenia!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 08, 2017, 09:52:38 pm »

Given the Arstozkan enthusiasm for rocketry, the fact that we're not deploying any is downright criminal.

What about a gun that shoots rockets?
I'm thinking of something like a Type 87/QLZ87 grenade launcher, a big bulky gun to shoot explosives.
Done right and we can replace the Rpg and some Sorraia GPMGs, get a big boost to our infantry fire power.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 08, 2017, 10:38:29 pm »

I am not sure that's how it works; pushing an area just means you advance if you win.
Just so: Attacking doesn't increase your odds of winning. It only makes it so that you gain ground if you do win. If you win in an area where the enemy is attacking, but you are not attacking, it's a stalemate.  Lastly if both sides attack an area someone has to gain ground, it can't be a draw.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 08, 2017, 10:57:05 pm »

If I read this correctly, we can attack along any two lines, and would be better off attacking one of the already conquered lines than a place we expect to be at a disadvantage and missing out on the chance of a draw.
Read the First Post!

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 08, 2017, 11:55:18 pm »

What about a rocket assisted fighter?  It could have some solid rocket boosters strapped on it fires off in pairs to give it sudden bursts of speed during dogfights.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 500