Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: How old is the average dwarf fortress player?  (Read 16136 times)

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How old is the average dwarf fortress player?
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2017, 03:50:25 am »

Turned 28 a few weeks ago.
I am not very good at DF but I am having great fun with it.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 12:16:42 pm »

No one is good at DF, that's the point. :P
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 09:34:17 pm »

No one is good at DF, that's the point. :P

Now imagine what happens when myth &magic comes around and you didn't read the mythgen results.

"WHY ARE MY DWARVES EXPLODING?!"
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2017, 07:13:17 am »

this isn't even addressing response bias. I'll bet less than 1% of dwarf fortress players even use the forums. And a fraction of that are going to respond to this post.

But 'How old is the average dwarf fortress player, that also participates on the forum, and also is willing to respond to my forum post' will probably hit a character limit at some point.

Captain Pedantic away!
QFT

My answers: 27-29ish and 35ish
My guesses: 20 and 24 (avges)
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Eade Bladeseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2017, 12:04:58 pm »

38y. Started "playing" 5 years ago. I'm still a newb.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2017, 09:21:16 pm »

16 here. I started playing when I was... 12 or 13? (Wow, I've spent three years here in the Twelfth Bay.)

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:24:59 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2017, 09:36:49 pm »

16 here. I started playing when I was... 12 or 13? (Wow, I've spent three years here in the Twelfth Bay.)

I think they just forgot about non-binary people for the moment, which I often do myself. I don't think they wanted to offend anyone by it.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2017, 03:02:38 am »

I think they just forgot about non-binary people for the moment, which I often do myself. I don't think they wanted to offend anyone by it.
'Sfine, I'm not particularly bothered (it's not like there're many of us, so it's perfectly understandable to be unaware), I'm mostly just annoyed that people say the same sort of thing but with malice, so I can never really be sure whether somebody is honest or malicious, and it distracts me from the actual content (it triggers my reaction of "is somebody attacking me?", even if I decide they're probably not). (It's not particularly reasonable, since I probably should just ignore malicious posters anyway, but...)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2017, 02:24:31 pm »

46, playing DF for almost 5 years
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2017, 02:55:08 pm »

Fairly certain I started at an age of 15. I spent the summer between "elementary" school (We've got a pretty different school system where I live. Grades 1-9 are all called "elementary school") and high school playing dwarf fortress, and when I started high school I later got a few friends hooked as well. Good times.

My father also used to play, and he was in his early 60's. He moved on to other games inspired by dwarf fortress with less of a shitty UI after a while though. Hopefully the UI will become bearable at some point, and he'll get back into it.

I'm 21 now.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2017, 07:42:19 pm »

--Desperately tries to save thread from lockdown...

Erm...I reckon the average age of DF players is much older than the polls here make out, because old people just don't like posting how old they are. Thoughts, arguments against, long walls of text explaining how DF is fundamentally ageist?

(About the same age as Toady give or take a month or so).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2017, 12:03:10 am »

(removed some posts, left a few -- this is not an invitation to get back into it!  please stay on topic.  One mute has been issued.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2017, 07:13:13 am »

Erm...I reckon the average age of DF players is much older than the polls here make out, because old people just don't like posting how old they are. Thoughts, arguments against, long walls of text explaining how DF is fundamentally ageist?
More like I probably did my fair share of oversharing back in the old days.

"Hi, I'm Pete, I'm 18 in three weeks and two days and I'll by having a party for all my online friends at 32 Gonna Be Trashed Street, Parentsawayville, Howmanygatecrasherscanyou County, HI 999911. BYOB." That'd turn out well, right?

(Wouldn't happen (so much!) these days. Not at that age. Probably. The average age of Sufficient Internet Savviness is lower than it used to be, but by sheer volume and spread of effect it has been outpaced by the earlier-adoption rate, so lower-hanging fruit. Even the modern late-adopting Silver Surfers are likely less n00b than the SSs of yesteryear.)

oldmansutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2017, 09:14:34 am »

Hmm, I'm 38, but I've been playing for a long time now, since .31.... so ... 7 years or so now?  So would have started around 30/31.
I suggest using kilokittens. As cats are 10X the volume of kittens. That way, 50 cats would be .5 kilokittens.

100 cats would be 1 kilokitten.

TheNirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2017, 04:52:44 pm »

31 here. Soooo, can we see the poll results? I'm also curious!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7