Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves won't harvest plants to stockpile?  (Read 2872 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves won't harvest plants to stockpile?
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:16:53 pm »

So I've been playing this game for years and I've never had this problem before. I have like 10 dwarves with farming enabled. I've tried turning on and off "dwarves all harvest". I've tried locking a dwarf inside the farm area. I've tried turning on and off the plants being planted.

All my farmers will do is plant. Brewers, cooks, etc. will harvest the plants when they need them, but this means tons of withered plants at a rate that doesn't make sense. What am I doing wrong? I don't use burrows, the farm is underground.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't harvest plants to stockpile?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 09:17:29 pm »

In 'o'rders, there is also a Dwarves Gather Food setting; that might be required to move it from the plot to the stockpile.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:14:56 am »

I'd verify that the stockpile hasn't accidentally been set to "take from links only". That happens to me from time to time, presumably due to fat fingering. Another test of essentially the same thing is to create a new food stockpile and see if they move food there.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:08:43 am »

Brewers and cooks don't 'harvest' when needed. What you see happening is that they pick up already harvested plants from the farmplot. The fact that there are already harvested plants lying on your farmplot does suggest that there is no stockpile accepting the plants, so yeah, my first guess would be what PatrikLundell just said, you probably accidentally set the stockpile to take from links only, or messed up the stockpile settings in some other way.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:22:12 pm »

Unharvested plants are found within the plot building, in its t-menu. Harvested plants that are still on the plot are found in the k-menu.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24:37 pm »

If you've checked your food stockpiles and are still having a problem, try setting a couple of dwarfs to food hauling only. If all your haulers are busy carrying around stone and furniture and so forth, they might not get around to hauling the crops to the food stockpile before it's too late.

rothen

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 12:09:39 am »

Did you run out of pots/barrels and/or space in your stockpile? It sounds like the dwarves don't have anywhere to put the food, so the "store item in stockpile" job never gets created.