Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 131611 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #390 on: October 26, 2015, 11:03:11 am »

Wow, and here I thought I was being generous with my accommodations.  3x3 for the plebs is pretty roomy, even without furniture.  I dislike using diagonal for the Doors, so I have a similar branching pattern.  The important (non-Noble) Dwarves get a 2x2 cube with Bed, Cabinet, and Coffer.  Once I hit 100+ Dwarves and 20 or so skilled (non-hauling), I build a Dormitory for the Peasants and assign the important Dwarves to their own bedroom.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 26, 2015, 11:35:24 am »

And then lastly you'll find the rare design that actually hinders vampires and prevents corpses from sticking around unnoticed for ages.

What, like everyone sleeping in a dormitory?

Just had an idea here though:

two square barracks, no bed.  access via up-ramp through hatch cover.  First square is hatch cover, second square is something like a cabinet or coffer from which you designate the barracks. 

assign barracks to single dwarf, he should sleep on the hatch cover and -- i THINK -- this will prevent a vampire from getting to him.

with DF2014, this would require some excessive military micromanagement.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 26, 2015, 03:59:47 pm »

before you designate a bed into a room, toggle the door as internal, so the sleeping area is in common and visible to others, while each bedroom designation has its own private storage.

Code: [Select]
   #####
   #.#.#
   #h#h#
   #d#d#
   #b.b#
   #...d -> hallway
   #b.b#
   #d#d#
   #h#h#
   #.#.#
   #####

where #=wall, h=coffer, d=door, b=bed, .=floor

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 26, 2015, 07:21:42 pm »

I used to think 3*3 bedrooms was just downright cruel, now I'm buying a house with 3*3 bedrooms XD
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 26, 2015, 07:48:09 pm »

I used to think 3*3 bedrooms was just downright cruel, now I'm buying a house with 3*3 bedrooms XD

That is luxury, sir.  50-60 square meter flats are the mainstay of what is available in the sub 1M USD pricerange, in most of the cities I've shopped in. 

I think thats like 1x2 in DF terms (was 5m x 5m bandied about as a speculative tile size in one of the old DF Talk episodes?)  even at 2m x 2m, thats about a 3x3 living area.  Of course, modern walls are infinitesimally thin in DF terms, so it sub-divides a little better.

I've been making 2x3 bedrooms, this includes a place to stand in the center and access everything without crawling over.  is more luxury than that possible?

Boatsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep Moving Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 26, 2015, 08:05:33 pm »

My dwarf quarters used to be 3x3, independent rooms branching off a really long hallway.

Then I saw this image: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Dwarven_Housing.png

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 26, 2015, 08:49:29 pm »

My dwarf quarters used to be 3x3, independent rooms branching off a really long hallway.

Then I saw this image: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Dwarven_Housing.png
The only problem with using joined bedrooms like that is the inner Dwarves will get bad thoughts from having their sleep constantly interrupted.  That said, I do try to keep my bedrooms from spiraling outwards too much, so I usually have multiple levels, then pockets adjacent to a particular industry floor.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 27, 2015, 12:00:35 am »

I use massive overlapping bedrooms and never had someone get bad thoughts from it, just tons of "felt pleasure near a bunch of beds" and "was proud of their own fine bed" or "pleased to have slept in a legendary bedroom recently" type stuff.

pieceoftheuniverse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 27, 2015, 02:40:05 pm »

I use a variation on this design:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/File:Living.GIF

The image there uses 3x3 bedrooms, but I usually only provide 2x2 or 2x3.

This is a really good layout for decentralization. If I use a 2x2 layout, I can fit 40 bedrooms on one z-level using this design. With 3x3, it's 26 rooms. So that means for a fort of 200 dwarves, I need somewhere between five and ten levels just for residence (not including nobles). If each one of those has a dining room, that spreads things out enough that not everyone is in the same space.

My last attempt at piping a waterfall through all ten dining rooms ended in failure, but I'm working on it!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 27, 2015, 03:09:50 pm »

If you were going to give a dwarf only two pieces of bedroom furniture, what would the second be after the bed?  A coffer, or a cabinet?

Do dwarfs need to store more clothing, or more everything else?

Or will that just cause clutter, and I should give keep them in a dormitory if I cant give them both pieces of furniture?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 27, 2015, 07:37:56 pm »

Cabinet, they like coffers but I rarely see them use it as much as they use cabinets.

For those who like the overlapping massive rooms, you can use individual storage rooms with doors and toggle each to internal/external as you expand a given dorfs room so you don't end up with everyone trying to put their crap in every cabinet within reach.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #401 on: October 27, 2015, 08:46:54 pm »

Whaaa??  How would that help?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 27, 2015, 08:57:15 pm »

Whaaa??  How would that help?

its actually really clever. 

the rooms would partially overlap, so you'd have massive shared furniture and decorations and all that.  but each room assignment would have its own containers in its own closets, and the closets would not overlap.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #403 on: October 27, 2015, 09:25:40 pm »

Ohhhh.  So a large room with gold statues, etc, BUT then for each bed "room", a closet door toggled to "internal" so that the room designation covers it but not any other closets?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 27, 2015, 10:29:58 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28