Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Entrance dwarf washer?  (Read 4258 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entrance dwarf washer?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2018, 03:18:07 am »

Many thanks Loci, this looks like something worth trying out.

ChristianWeiseth: You've probably managed to block the pump operator's path so they're locked in with the pumps. My pump operators eventually tire and go to eat/drink/sleep after a while when I pierce aquifers. However, the setup really ought to be powered.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 11:33:19 pm »

How does the water return? Are there grates on the floor where the dwarves walk? Is there a second pair of screw pumps somewhere?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 02:54:36 am »

It's been a while since I made a concerted effort on this topic, but I'd love to see what you come up with the current version.

One issue I ran into was that falling water creates mist, which washed contaminants off dwarves, but the mist might spread to either side of your designated washing area, causing contaminants to drop on the floor outside of it where there's no liquid flow to remove them. For me, this killed the viability of any shower-type system.

Another problem I ran into was that contaminants are unaffected by gravity, so toggling a grate/hatch/whatever doesn't cause them to fall out of the way.

At some point I think Toady caused flow to have a chance of destroying contaminants in addition to moving them? So I started using a 1x3 ramp trough set into a 3-wide hallway, with 2/3/3 or 2/2/3 water depths, so there's continuous random flow, but no evaporation or impassible terrain. The theory here was that the flow would create a self-cleaning trough. I didn't test exhaustively, but it seems like the contaminants usually were moved from the floor of the trench to the walls of the trench, where they won't harm anyone.

Before that, I would install a few decontamination troughs in parallel, with each one having a separate dedicated airlock to cut off all access, a bridge to atom smash the liquid (which doesn't kill contaminants), and metered water and magma supplies for each trough. The sequence would be dwarves pass through for a while, accumulate contaminants, seal the airlock, smash the water, let magma in (which does destroy contaminants), smash the magma, refill the trough to 2/7 or 3/7, open the airlock.

That required a bit of careful bridge/floodgate arranging and some logic to semi-automate it all, but was generally sufficient for keeping the really deadly environments at bay.

None of those were great solutions, since none of them offer instant contaminant destruction that would protect anything not wearing shoes that immediately follows a source of contaminant through the trench.

I hope there's something that works! I've never seen a real solution posted here.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 03:41:12 am »

How does the water return? Are there grates on the floor where the dwarves walk? Is there a second pair of screw pumps somewhere?
You'd need to feed the pumps on the level in the picture, so either you have a second pair of pumps to return the water from the level below the floor one, or you have a flow and a sink. I'm thinking of using an aquifer as a source and sink.

@gchristopher: Thanks for your input. Contaminants carried by mist would be annoying, so I'll look out for those when I finally get to try it out (still waiting for an LNP for a playable DF version (haven't checked yet, so one might exist already).

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 05:16:29 am »

Are contiminant spreading by  a secondary means still such an issue? Just after trying to first vampify my fortress through vampire blood in the well and then trying to coat my arows in venom it seems that they no longer spread and work like they used to.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 04:53:06 pm »

One issue I ran into was that falling water creates mist, which washed contaminants off dwarves, but the mist might spread to either side of your designated washing area, causing contaminants to drop on the floor outside of it where there's no liquid flow to remove them. For me, this killed the viability of any shower-type system.

Mist doesn't spread diagonally. Here's a mist-containment shower room:

And here is a functioning example save of an unpowered dwarven shower (v0.44.05):

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13443

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 04:45:40 am »

Many thanks again, Loci!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 06:40:17 pm »

Mist doesn't spread diagonally. Here's a mist-containment shower room:

And here is a functioning example save of an unpowered dwarven shower (v0.44.05):

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13443

I like the small file size of the save. It seems like most save files on dffd are so large.

Also good work improving the cleaning article on the wiki.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 05:40:01 am »

Inside of my fortress I have soap, hospital area with soap in chests with 2 wells and water source area with 3 wells. Still my Dwarves never ever bath. It is so depressing. I think the only time I saw Dwarves taking bath, when I have build my water reservoir on surface beside my fortress and put couple wells on its top. Dwarves simply couldn't stop washing themselves there. I do not know what I am doing wrong. It suppose to be simple. Water, well, soap and dirty Dwarf needing bath. Bathing was giving them good thoughts, if I recall it correctly.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 06:18:46 am »

I finally got a 0.44.05 LNP and took a look at the save. A very nice setup with the use of the aquifer to provide the water and a Deployable Drain to dispose of it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 01:32:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure my setup abuses permaflow:
╔╦══╦════╗
╠X77X▲▲▲₵║
╚╩══╩════╝

The floodgate on the left blocks the flow of water from above. In my case this is an aquifer, but you could use a river or a reservoir with pump. With the left floodgate closed, the floodgate in the center lets a measured 14 units of water into the trough. This leaves exactly 2 units of water in each of the 7 tiles. The central floodgate is then re-closed (don't want pets in there.) The floor hatch leads to a map-edge drain. From my understanding, I'm pretty sure wagons can path through it. However, I placed my washer past the depot so I can't be sure.

The drain was used during construction, due to the aquifer. Contaminants disappear as soon as they touch the trough. It seems to keep working even after a refill (with the drain dried out,) so I don't know if the permaflow ever goes away. There's no real reason to drain the trough except for emergencies.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 01:46:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 04:53:06 pm »

I'm a happy customer of Loci's design. It works fine and my dorfs get happy thoughts about waterfalls.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 12:51:45 am »

(Sorry, I don't have 44.05 installed yet, so I'm asking questions that are otherwise easily explored.)

I assume you're washing down through grates?
Do contaminants accumulate on the grate? (They used to, annoyingly)
Do you get pathing cancellation spam?

If that's all happy, then your only other obstacle is sanitizing caravan wagons, but in a truly hostileinteresting biome, a working entrance shower is the least of your problems keeping merchants alive.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 03:49:56 am »

- I wash through grates, yes.
- I haven't seen any contaminants on the grates.
- I haven't seen any cancellation spam.
- I've seen blood contaminants inside, but I think that's because the evil rain syndrome induces some bleeding, not that the blood contaminant was brought through the washer.
- Only 1/9 of my embark is evil, so I only have partial problems with evil rain. So far no caravan (out of 2) seems to have been affected. I've seen in the past that evil rain falling has caused caravans to scuttle and flee, but I don't think that happened when they just trudged through the blood (no syndromes at that time, just <sapient> blood).

The essential parts of Loci's setup are:

W = Wall
. = Open floor
, = Open floor with water entering. This can either be from above (aquifer) or from the side (pump)
  = Open space, i.e. a hole to the level below.
G = Grate covering hole to level below
r = Ramp (left from channeling)
D = Deployable Drain (requires removing ramp), i.e. track stop dumping into wall with mine cart on top. I set up a track route stop to get the mine cart there, but I assume it can be dumped as well.
Z + 1:
WWWWWWWW
WW.WW.WW
W.W  W,W
W,W  W.W
WW.WW.WW
WWWWWWWW
Z:
WWW..WWW
WW.WW.WW
WWWGGWWW
WWWGGWWW
WW.WW.WW
WWW..WWW
Z - 1:
WWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWW
WWWrrWWW
WWWDrWWW
WWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWW

I've channeled away two of the 3 remaining ramps on Z -1, but that has no functional impact. You can place the Deployable Drain in any of the 4 tiles under the grates, but make sure it dumps into a wall. It can also be noted that Z - 1 can be an aquifer instead, in which case you only need the 4 ramps as the aquifer takes care of the draining.

Also note the the above is not a sufficient building description, as you need additional tunnels to provide access to the essential parts. Those can be plugged with built walls and/or doors (if you use an aquifer above for the water supply you probably want one door for each of the "pipes". I then bricked up the access to both doors for good measure when the aquifer had been pierced).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 07:05:46 am »

- I wash through grates, yes.
- I haven't seen any contaminants on the grates.
- I haven't seen any cancellation spam.
- I've seen blood contaminants inside, but I think that's because the evil rain syndrome induces some bleeding, not that the blood contaminant was brought through the washer.
- Only 1/9 of my embark is evil, so I only have partial problems with evil rain. So far no caravan (out of 2) seems to have been affected. I've seen in the past that evil rain falling has caused caravans to scuttle and flee, but I don't think that happened when they just trudged through the blood (no syndromes at that time, just <sapient> blood).

The essential parts of Loci's setup are:

W = Wall
. = Open floor
, = Open floor with water entering. This can either be from above (aquifer) or from the side (pump)
  = Open space, i.e. a hole to the level below.
G = Grate covering hole to level below
r = Ramp (left from channeling)
D = Deployable Drain (requires removing ramp), i.e. track stop dumping into wall with mine cart on top. I set up a track route stop to get the mine cart there, but I assume it can be dumped as well.
Z + 1:
WWWWWWWW
WW.WW.WW
W.W  W,W
W,W  W.W
WW.WW.WW
WWWWWWWW
Z:
WWW..WWW
WW.WW.WW
WWWGGWWW
WWWGGWWW
WW.WW.WW
WWW..WWW
Z - 1:
WWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWW
WWWrrWWW
WWWDrWWW
WWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWW

I've channeled away two of the 3 remaining ramps on Z -1, but that has no functional impact. You can place the Deployable Drain in any of the 4 tiles under the grates, but make sure it dumps into a wall. It can also be noted that Z - 1 can be an aquifer instead, in which case you only need the 4 ramps as the aquifer takes care of the draining.

Also note the the above is not a sufficient building description, as you need additional tunnels to provide access to the essential parts. Those can be plugged with built walls and/or doors (if you use an aquifer above for the water supply you probably want one door for each of the "pipes". I then bricked up the access to both doors for good measure when the aquifer had been pierced).

How on earth did you get those examples to align without using code tags?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 [2] 3