Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick question about autolabor  (Read 1820 times)

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick question about autolabor
« on: September 14, 2018, 01:40:57 pm »

So I decided to give autolabor a try for the first time to see what's up, but I don't quite get how it handles fishing and hunting, this is what is says on the documentation:

Hunting is never assigned without a butchery, and fishing is never assigned without a fishery, and neither of these labors is assigned unless specifically enabled.

So, does it mean that the dwarves will not hunt at all unless I use the "labormanager allow-hunting" command? In which case the documentation says almost all the dwarves will begin hunting given there are enough crossbows, and that sounds quite bad, same thing for fishing.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question about autolabor
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 02:04:25 am »

autolabor and labormanager are different plugins. labormanager allow-hunting does jack and shit to autolabor's internal setting (publicly, the two plugins will likely get into a tug war if you enable both.)

You'd use something like autolabor FISHING 1 1 3 or something (haven't used autolabor much at all so command may not be quite right).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 02:06:02 am by Fleeting Frames »

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 10:00:19 am »

Actually I meant labormanager, got them mixed up when creating the thread, I only have labormanager enabled.

So if I understand you correctly, using labormanager, I don't have to do anything for them to hunt properly?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 02:00:09 pm »

Other than allow-hunting? Docs suggest so. Haven't tried, though.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 04:33:45 pm »

Other than allow-hunting? Docs suggest so. Haven't tried, though.

yeah I think I chose the wrong embark to test that, not much game to hunt I'm afraid(All I see are annoying giant flying squirrels, one of them killed my militia commander  :'(), thought they seem to be trying, I'm getting lots of "canceled hunting : failed to path" (or something like that) messages, but I think that has nothing to do with labormanager, I can't figure out what's the problem, maybe they're killing the squirrels mid flight and those are landing on some unreachable place.

But yeah I'm liking labormanager so far, it really takes the edge off, the only thing I had to mess with was the mining priority, since at the beginning you really have to dig those rooms fast.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 12:10:06 am »

Yeah hunters don't handle fliers (or bedrooms) well.

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 05:39:11 pm »

Another question!

Is there any way I can make so labormanager doesn't assign the worst possible miners for mining jobs?

I ask because I literally ran out of stone... and this after lot of years worth of mining(this might have been a first for me), and when I payed close attention I realize that 9 out of 10 times the miners assigned would be dabbling miners... so that answers that question I guess.

And it's weird because it seems to do really well with everything else, whenever I order weapons be forged for example, it will pick the best dwarves for the job, but for some reason it does not care at all about mining... and that's bad when you get a steel industry going, all that marble that could have been  but wasn't because the silly plugin sent in a bunch of dabbling dudes when I got several legendary and high masters for it to send.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 05:41:54 pm »

I'm 90% certain that Miner skill influences speed and nothing else.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

onarum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 06:28:22 pm »

I'm 90% certain that Miner skill influences speed and nothing else.

ooooh, Yeah, you're right, from the wiki:

Mining skill affects only the speed at which stone is mined, not the chance of acquiring resources from mining.

nvm then, I guess I just have to mine some more.

Antmf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:49 pm »

Is labor manager part of lazy newb pack DF jack or is that auto-labor? I’m confused lol