Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The King is dead.  (Read 3969 times)

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The King is dead.
« on: October 15, 2018, 02:54:36 pm »

So my king died. I am now without a monarch and wondered if I would get a new one at some point.
Its been over a year with no monarch as he lost his position when he went melancholy and almost a year since he actually died.
I am still the mountainhome and the liaison still lives here.

While making tractions benches every other month was a pain I miss the prestige of a royal in the fort.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 03:15:14 pm by timotheos »

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
Re: The King is dead.
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 04:03:21 pm »

Maybe the Ceremonial Chant for the dead of a Monarch in Dwarf Fortress help with the loss of Monarch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V-KU3U_ElI
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 04:22:54 pm »

I add to you a song about a dead monarch from my country as a tribute to your king

F for respect

(Also thanks for sharing this channel, insta subscribing)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:30:57 pm by Cathar »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:59:10 am »

So my king died. I am now without a monarch and wondered if I would get a new one at some point.
Its been over a year with no monarch as he lost his position when he went melancholy and almost a year since he actually died.

While making tractions benches every other month was a pain I miss the prestige of a royal in the fort.

You may wait till sword reforging is implemented (not to mention interracial marriage). Could be many, many years. For now you could rename your mayor a "steward" and be done with it.

Seriously though, the king should be appointed when the last one lost the position, though I never had the king lose his position without actually dying, so maybe it works different in such cases. Are you sure there is not king anywhere else? I suppose it isn't a dead civ (which would explain no appointment) and there are other sites, right?

timotheos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 02:11:51 pm »

I'm still the mountainhome and the outpost liaison is still living here. However I have been on lockdown for the last 6 months so she might leave when I open the gate i suppose.
There are about a dozen other barony's (or at least a dozen baron/baroness's)
There is a queen living somewhere but I didn't get an announcement of the change and only just saw her when i looked up my civ nobles. Will she move here when i open up again? do i need to get my population back over the 140 threshold for mountainhome for it to trigger again?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 02:44:09 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF6ZasLNHX8
explanation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm still the mountainhome and the outpost liaison is still living here. However I have been on lockdown for the last 6 months so she might leave when I open the gate i suppose.
There are about a dozen other barony's (or at least a dozen baron/baroness's)
There is a queen living somewhere but I didn't get an announcement of the change and only just saw her when i looked up my civ nobles. Will she move here when i open up again? do i need to get my population back over the 140 threshold for mountainhome for it to trigger again?
i guess so
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:55:22 pm by Pvt. Pirate »
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 03:27:34 pm »

So, hears what i think is supposed to happen.

first: getting your threshhold below and above 140 once more shouldn't do a thing, your the mountainhome, unless there is a king somewere else in the world, one should be elected at your site.

second: a monarch should be "elected". meaning one should be chosen at random, with some claim that the nobles discussed it and decided he would be king. I cannot, however, say that that is supposed to happen instantly. it might just take a while.

now, thats only what i have heard and read, i have never been in your situation. the wiki collaborates it though. also, the wiki lists no known bugs with regard to monarchs, so thats a plus.
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 06:38:05 pm »

the wiki collaborates it though.
To collaborate is to work with somebody. You want "corroborate".
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 10:59:50 am »

thx man! I usually think my english is pretty good for foreigner, but there's always more to learn! :)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 02:21:49 pm »

thx man! I usually think my english is pretty good for foreigner, but there's always more to learn! :)
same here.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 10:01:58 pm »

In the latest version of Dwarf Fortress, a new king should be chosen. In fact, that has been in for a while. Can you check your civilization leaders list, maybe a leader was chosen elsewhere? Which version are you using.

It's possible the Mountainhome designation was bugged. The progression from outpost to mountainhome has been tracked from early on the game development, maybe it wasn't updated.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 11:58:48 am »

You're still the mountainhome. The king won't show up, even if he is out there. However, you can retire the fortress, then unretire it. This causes some buggy behavior itself, but it will also reset you back to outpost status. You can quickly re-earn your mountainhome status and the new king will immigrate.