Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1602148 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #13920 on: September 10, 2016, 02:47:53 pm »

I prefer crawl for its interface and its lack of grinding.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13921 on: September 10, 2016, 03:00:20 pm »

I think item destruction is fine in theory and works in games like Nethack well enough, but just didn't fit Crawl in the same way. I still miss split damage/accuracy stuff, it lead to cool tradeoffs
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13922 on: September 10, 2016, 05:26:42 pm »

re: immersion, i just think that being a roleplaying game isn't really Crawl's goal, although I can understand where you're coming from. Off the top of my head, Sil seems to put a pretty big focus on staying true to Tolkien's writing, so it's probably pretty RP-y. (although probably lacking some of the humor of crawl)

Hell, a Crawl fork focused on being more RP-y could be interesting, if there's support (but could run the risk of adding too many unfun things, or removing humor for immersion)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13923 on: September 11, 2016, 09:37:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sounds brutal... Or doesn't it? Should I rejoice or lament?

Maybe I should have a break now...

Updated: WOW Trog himself has gifted me an eveningstar of protection just a moment ago... Now I can put the weird club aside for a while and train up my shields skill.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:04:35 am by RoguelikeRazuka »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13924 on: September 11, 2016, 10:17:03 am »

I know what you mean.  Last I played, the last level of Snake alone took a flippen century with all the upgraded Naga running around.  Its exciting the first time, maybe even the second or third, but a point it becomes a chore.

Not sure what the alternative is tho, aside from shortening the game somehow.  I think the idea is that since you've invested in this character, you might as well get to have them for a long adventure before one way or the other losing control of them.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13925 on: September 11, 2016, 12:10:56 pm »

With the lot of dungeon levels that has been removed, have they rebalanced how much XP a monster gives to the player, or that increase in monster infestation the solution they decided to go with ?

Anyways, i have been running and just lost a mummy wizard in Lair to a damned catoblepas that petrified me surprisingly fast and his death yaks pals killed me then easily.

I went for Gozag that i never used before (due to the food problem that can come with it if you're unlucky with the perma food looting, something mummy do not care about and was then perfect for me to try with Gozag) and it seemed very fun, though the couple of merchant shops i opened weren't having really much in term of useful items, bad luck i guess.

But oh boy, i didn't remembered how slow mummies are to gain skills levels and have their spells more castable, as chances of failure can be a nasty problem , the catoblepas was very happy about that :D

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13926 on: September 12, 2016, 10:16:57 am »

Item destruction is another feature that I consider to be immersive. It is totally something that could happen if you were to explore a dungeon.

wow

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13927 on: September 12, 2016, 10:26:29 am »

Gozag's not half bad for normal-hunger races. Just not trolls or shatter-spammers. Usually, the gold you get is more than enough to buy food. I do wish that shops didn't increase in cost over time, though.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13928 on: September 12, 2016, 11:27:09 am »

Gozag is really really bad on Vampires early and really really good on them later. It's an interesting dynamic.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13929 on: September 12, 2016, 03:34:38 pm »

I'm not sure if you're trying to refute me. If you are:

Gozag's not half bad for normal-hunger races. Just not trolls or shatter-spammers. Usually, the gold you get is more than enough to buy food. I do wish that shops didn't increase in cost over time, though.

I will admit that I did not specify vampires in "not-normal-hunger-races," but they still are. Sprigs are even super with Gozag.

If you aren't:

Hmm, what about switching to Gozag after an early-game good god, such as Ely? (I like Ely for early game. She gives you piety for not even going out of your way, she has good powers, and she doesn't have very restrictive rules. You can switch to good gods while keeping some piety, any non-evil god without wrath, and her wrath isn't that bad anyway. As one person said, "the wrath is not having ely". Ely is still pretty good in the mid/endgame, IMO, but not quite as good as ones like TSO.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13930 on: September 12, 2016, 05:03:14 pm »

After the loss of my mummy wizard, i was wizard-mode testing how Gozag bribes were working on various branches, and i must say Gozag bribe on Vaults:5 is delivering hilarious results.

So in case you're getting Gozag, make sure to keep 3000 gold before entering Vaults:5 , so much fun :D

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13931 on: September 12, 2016, 05:16:31 pm »

...what happens?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13932 on: September 12, 2016, 05:48:19 pm »

A lot of the monsters present will accept the bribe and fight the other half, and many will follow and fight for you.
And in Vaults:5 there are so many monsters that it transform the whole floor into an insane battlefield.

I was surprised to see a normal (not ancient) Lich joining me and destroying 2 black dragons and a few stone giants before falling in friendly fire from other bribed party member :D

The initial Vaults:5 vault guards ambush is interesting to witness too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 05:49:55 pm by Robsoie »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13933 on: September 12, 2016, 09:42:52 pm »

Haha, I'm stupid. Good gods don't accept Vp.
Sigtext!

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13934 on: September 18, 2016, 06:10:15 pm »

Sooo

After splatting like 20 OgBes, and dying in Zot on an honestly indecently well-equipped HoBe (armour of the dragon king, +8 Exec Axe, +2 Triple Crossbow), I downloaded the newest trunk and said to myself, let's try a dodgy hybrid melee and 15-rune this! MeSk here we go!

Oh hey is this an Oka altar? Well... Trog's been pathetic with his gifts the last 50 games in a row, let's see how old uncle Oka compares.

Come lair:2 I get my first gift, pretty swiftly considering lair was on D:8, not bad so far Oka old chap.

What is this gift, you ask?

The +16 crystal plate armour of the Eternal Void {rc++}
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."
Pages: 1 ... 927 928 [929] 930 931 ... 990