Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 990

Author Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.  (Read 1602114 times)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. Or: THAT DAMN SIGMUND.
« Reply #13980 on: October 02, 2016, 06:20:49 am »

Spoiler: I like my shield (click to show/hide)

Sure i feel better, not that the following feel bad :

Minotaur Fighter of Maklheb is a rather impressive combo, can't believe how he destroyed the Zot opposition (of course greater demons + high invocation helps a lot) but in the same time i've been rather lucky with the loot in the dungeon.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 06:31:47 am by Robsoie »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13981 on: October 02, 2016, 09:33:42 am »

Spoiler: I like my shield (click to show/hide)
@_@ WHERE DO YOU GET THOSE?!
The only reflection thing I keep getting is the amulet. I haven't ever found a reflection-branded shield since 0.7.2!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13982 on: October 02, 2016, 11:30:44 am »

Weird, Donald usually carries one though not always.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: October 02, 2016, 01:20:51 pm »

I had Donald in my Swamp branch, though i don't remember if it was his shield, the character dump does not mention that it belonged to him.
But regardless the source, it's an awesome piece of item and i want one for every of my characters :D

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13984 on: October 02, 2016, 05:40:06 pm »

A lich's crystal spear just dealt me 10 damage. YESSS. Now finally being a DDFi^Qaz with 40 AC pays off. Actually, no, it's paid off before. Throughout the entire game. STEAMROLLIN'

Hahaha! Tabbed my way through a caustic shrike without even noticing! FUCK YEAH
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:44:13 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13985 on: October 02, 2016, 05:56:56 pm »

Just one caustic shrike is not a threat. It's the whole pack at once that will kill you.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: October 02, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »

A lich's crystal spear just dealt me 10 damage. YESSS. Now finally being a DDFi^Qaz with 40 AC pays off. Actually, no, it's paid off before. Throughout the entire game. STEAMROLLIN'

Hahaha! Tabbed my way through a caustic shrike without even noticing! FUCK YEAH

Tanky characters get really fun to play later on. I think my record is 60 AC (I found a ridiculous +20 crystal plate armor) and was pretty much never worried about anything.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: October 02, 2016, 07:04:41 pm »

I think Amulet of reflection does the exact same as the shield brand, with the added bonus of allowing you to have Resistance on your actual shield. Also Makhleb is cool and good, and I support people playing him.

I also think Crawl just gave up this run.

This is what I have before getting any runes:

z - +10 exec axe {speed, Int+4 Dex-2 SInv}
g - +10 gold dragon armour
L - +0 pair of boots of the Tired Beds {*Corrode Regen+ SInv}
S - amulet of Vitality {Regen+ HP+15}
I - ring "Cutoog Seym" {rElec rPois MR++ MP+9 Int+2}

Got a Gold Dragon Hide on D:1, and the strength to use a GDA at xlvl 5. First scroll of acquirement gives me the axe. Unfortunately I need to stop playing now cuz it's 3 a.m. and I have to work tomorrow, which means an impending death, probably at the hands of something stupid like paralysis.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: October 02, 2016, 07:49:34 pm »

I think only brooch of shielding will reflect, other amulets of reflection just behave like normal shields, although I'm not 100% on that.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: October 03, 2016, 07:56:20 am »

I believe you're wrong about that Cov, reflection is binary as far as I know, and if you block anything, it reflects if you have reflection.  At least, if nothing has changed with reflection in the last month or so.

So reflection is pretty meh on a shield, but it's a great amulet, more for the extra sh than the reflection.  Although killing something with reflection is so satisfying it doesn't really matter whether or not it's all that useful in the long run.

Also, taking 10 damage from a crystal spear is extremely lucky, 60ac or no.  Don't let your guard down around those alich bastards, even with super high AC.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13990 on: October 03, 2016, 08:34:02 am »

1. I'm a deep dwarf.
2. It was a lich, not an alich. Lichens are pushovers with the occasional nasty surprise at this point. Aliches are stop-playing-and-look-at-your-escape-routes monsters throughout nearly the entire game, barring megaziggers.
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13991 on: October 03, 2016, 09:16:37 am »

Was playtesting latest trunk today mostly to try that new "ancestor" new thing and learned a few things while managing to splash 2 characters

- my first splash was a mummy necromancer, i wasn't expecting much out of it as it takes so much time to get them decent skills with all their bad skills modifiers, and with how much more enemies there are now than in the past (probably some ways they thought to replace the loss of XP from the cut branches levels) i really thought about re-rolling but still it lasted until the Lair entrance.
Unfortunately i found the altar of the ancestor guy rather late so i didn't much experience much out of it before the splashing.

Now i learned to my big disapointement that anything you animate will crumble to dust soon after, apparently it's a nerf from 0.17 (i played so few crawl in the last year that i never noticed) and + not sure why they did that, they already had nerfed the whole undead army thing hard by preventing them to go through stairs in the past.

- my second splash was with a Gargoyle fighter, but this time i had found the ancestor guy altar fast, so by Lair i had already experienced giving it a class and improving it with the "idealise" ability, i choose the Hexer memory to complement my melee guy and it was lots of fun.
Splashed my character stupidly because a Merfolk triggered unfortunately my "character splashing tactic" while i was wearing a -2 morning star and had not found a single remove curse scroll since the beginning :D

All in all, that new ancestor thing is interesting, the Hexer had helped a lot too, it's not a simply useless gimmick ally, it's a very good one.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 09:18:15 am by Robsoie »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13992 on: October 03, 2016, 09:28:19 am »

So is the Hexer related at all to stabbing? Is a noisy player a hindrance to a Hexer ancestor?
Sigtext!

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: October 03, 2016, 10:04:20 am »

2. It was a lich, not an alich. Lichens are pushovers with the occasional nasty surprise at this point. Aliches are stop-playing-and-look-at-your-escape-routes monsters throughout nearly the entire game, barring megaziggers.

hardly. most characters that survive to meet an alich can kill it easily, simply because the AI doesn't choose spells well, and a decent character simply isn't at that much risk.

for example: http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/grisamentum/morgue-grisamentum-20151117-212816.txt

i killed 15 ancient liches that game, but it's nowhere near a megazig character
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:06:32 am by ZeroGravitas »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #13994 on: October 03, 2016, 10:41:36 am »

Well, I guess since the only aliches I've seen were in my newb character, I could have skewed memory.

Just three-shotted an OoF with 23 Invo, max piety Qazlal, Upheaval. No muts, minimal damage to myself. YES.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 990