Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 136

Author Topic: What turns you off about DF?  (Read 295161 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What turns you off about DF?
« Reply #1935 on: August 20, 2018, 08:28:00 am »

Is there any point to this thread any more? Threetoe got his answers nearly 10 years ago. The game is well established. Everyone knows it's ascii, it's got bugs, it's UI is a pain to learn, development will take forever. None of that matters because in the present day the community of people who like the game are able to support it's development.

The only purpose for this thread's existence is to be necroed every few years for an outpouring of toxicity that leads nowhere.

Propose thread be locked.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: August 20, 2018, 08:56:08 am »

So several new ones can be made for individual complaints?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: August 20, 2018, 02:20:16 pm »

Wow, a genuine 'fuckyouguysimleavingthecommunityforeversothere'-comment.

This thread really does bring all the mongs to the yard.

NEANDERTHAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: August 22, 2018, 06:41:42 am »

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: there needs to be less migrants. There is no reason anymore to have hardcoded migrant waves, and with populations balooning to ~60 dwarves from 12 in two years, plus visitors, it gets very hard to become attached to the dwarves, and pay attention to their personalities and thoughts. All that new work on dwarf focusing and happiness is for naught if the players can't focus enough attention/game resources on each dwarf to care. Having less dwarves would also make them more valuble from a gameplay perspective. DF is a game about making stories, but no good story can be seen/watched/enacted if your main characters get lost in a sea of faces.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: August 22, 2018, 06:55:28 am »

It's been said before, but I'll say it again: there needs to be less migrants. There is no reason anymore to have hardcoded migrant waves, and with populations balooning to ~60 dwarves from 12 in two years, plus visitors, it gets very hard to become attached to the dwarves, and pay attention to their personalities and thoughts. All that new work on dwarf focusing and happiness is for naught if the players can't focus enough attention/game resources on each dwarf to care. Having less dwarves would also make them more valuble from a gameplay perspective. DF is a game about making stories, but no good story can be seen/watched/enacted if your main characters get lost in a sea of faces.
Fortress relationship with the outside world is the next arc after mythgen is done. That includes the reason for migration. Since it's already planned, a placeholder won't be replaced with another placeholder so in the meantime you'll have to use the workarounds.

carewolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: August 24, 2018, 05:44:04 am »

Multithreading would cause an, at most, 10% increase in performance. Here's a solution for you: Don't do 16x16 embarks.

And DF is supposed to be a more-or-less simulation rather than a game. Challenge isn't strictly needed.
Yeah, it seems to be limited by memory bandwidth. I recently double the memory in my machine (the CPU is quad-channel, and I only had two modules), and the speed of DF almost doubled confirming that it is not CPU limited but memory bandwidth limited.

Jack9

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: August 31, 2018, 11:05:18 am »

The emotional stability of Dwarves doesn't match the world they live in.
Dwarves are a hardy race, enamoured with alcohol, socks, cats, and geology.
They also, oddly, have evolved a society that loves weapons, accepts violence (the sheriff is a Hammerer), eschews bathing, and casually consumes raw animal meats (not that that's distinctive from other meats).

See a dismembered sentient creature's toe, they become horrified? How did Dwarven society even come into existence? It's thematically broken and the emotional stability of dwarves is so tenuous that it's not fun when your society falls apart for reasons that make no sense. This is why me and my GF quit. Might as well be playing Game of Life, it's about as fun.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: August 31, 2018, 11:26:44 am »

Have you played since the last minor release?  My understanding is that Toady seriously toned down the stress from seeing goblin toes and that it's much better now, as opposed to the version prior where stress spirals were almost inevitable because of body parts.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tinnucorch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: August 31, 2018, 11:43:50 am »

Also, there is the option of playing an earlier version previous to the stress reintroduction...

And in any case, it's still subject to changes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: August 31, 2018, 01:14:04 pm »

hello sieges my old friend . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #1945 on: August 31, 2018, 07:13:09 pm »

Now the song "The Sound of !!SCIENCE!!" is stuck in my head. You stuck a song that doesn't even exist in my head. Bravo.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: August 31, 2018, 10:47:22 pm »

That's an old version.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: August 31, 2018, 11:37:01 pm »

That's an old version.
Yeah. Not sure what this is referring to.
Nostalgia for when the game had automatic sieges? That would be 34.11, I think.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: September 02, 2018, 06:21:13 am »

I'd have to say it's less about the UI and more about how everyone makes excuses for it and denies that the UI could be more digestible, specifically the military screen. Also, all the bugs related to equiping your dorfs.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with how DF is rolling along.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:26:59 am by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: September 02, 2018, 06:36:21 am »

I'd have to say it's less about the UI and more about how everyone makes excuses for it and denies that the UI could be more digestible, specifically the military screen.
Do you have sources for that?
Can't think of anyone who's ever mentioned that the military screen doesn't need improvement.

You'll find that what a lot of people point out is that finalising the UI, when the game is only 40% complete is a waste of time. That's a valid point of view.

There's a tendancy for people to jump to defend things like the UI when other people post under the assumption that Dwarf Fortress is a finished game that Toady's just "wasting time" adding extra features to.
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 136