Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 729

Author Topic: Face Palm moments you had in Dwarf Fortress  (Read 2117528 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Face Palm moments you had
« Reply #10485 on: October 25, 2018, 07:30:47 am »

Caravans have done that to me before; I've had to kill a few to get them to move.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10486 on: October 25, 2018, 11:37:35 am »

embarked on THE PERFECT SPOT.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and then i find out we have peace with the gobbos, trehuggers, humans and after the first werebeast only animals wandered to the spot.
it's the first time my fort is ready for an assault and none happening.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10487 on: October 25, 2018, 12:34:56 pm »

I dont see the problem. Need a war? Start one. Go and raid those gobbos. :p

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10488 on: October 25, 2018, 12:59:54 pm »

need to learn "how to military" first.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10489 on: October 25, 2018, 03:29:28 pm »

need to learn "how to military" first.

This sounds like the perfect opportunity!  Train up a couple squads in weapons, then give them orders to go "rescue" an artifact from the goblins.  Eventually the goblins will get fed up and attack.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10490 on: October 28, 2018, 03:28:23 pm »

I enabled autolabor everybody was a woodcutter

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #10491 on: October 29, 2018, 07:40:15 pm »

Are you sure that’s not okay?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

that cat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10492 on: November 02, 2018, 04:55:27 pm »

Hey, my first post!

I had a major facepalm moment very recently.  Previously I have managed to never embark in a cold region, which was never by design.  It just happened that the forts I made managed to never experience the grips of winter, usually due to having the perfect balance of resources.  Anyway I was so busy smoothing and engraving walls after no less than three dwarves had claimed themselves as barons and another king in the past two seasons, I forgot to keep our drink stock up.  You probably know what happened...  this took place in mid-autumn and it was so bad by late autumn  -  when all the water outdoors was frozen over - that most of my dwarves were dehydrated.  My eyes glossed over their dehydration for too long, I was focusing on the fort design you know, and about 20 out of 60 died.  I set to brewing quickly, but brewers kept stopping due to grief.  When the ice receded...  you can be sure that everything halted to get drinks from the water.  They drank so much that one spot, a small pond, couldn't provide any more water.  They then rushed to the edge of the other water sources.  I imagined it was beautiful in their eyes nonetheless.  The Winter of Death is over, and the springs have returned.

It was heartbreaking to lose some of my favorites in the military and upper management.  At least two of the barons died, but the pesky king survived.  It was completely my fault, and now I'm much more proactive to keep our stores high.  I also have got to make sure I have a contingency plan.

A side-note about the king:  when all these barons and baronesses were springing up, he only proclaimed himself king after a friendly discussion with a rival.  I wonder if being noble was simply fashionable.

Silverlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10493 on: November 06, 2018, 08:09:03 pm »

I set to brewing quickly, but brewers kept stopping due to grief.

These are Dwarves?  They have brought shame upon their families, or what family that may have survived.
"All right boys, let's strike the- *crack* whatthefwarblblub..."
"...Dibs on the pick."
Hidden beneath rusting weapons was a mass of assorted bones. An elf, a goblin, even an ogre. All just waiting for someone to walk by and notice them, like some kind of land mine of horror.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10494 on: November 13, 2018, 08:42:37 pm »

The Good News is that the !!DEFENCE!! system worked. The bad news is that there was a leak.

The (3) survivors are now stuck in an office while the control lever is under 7/7 magma on the other side of the fort.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10495 on: November 13, 2018, 09:14:40 pm »

The Good News is that the !!DEFENCE!! system worked. The bad news is that there was a leak.

The (3) survivors are now stuck in an office while the control lever is under 7/7 magma on the other side of the fort.
Can they survive in there? If so, they are now your bureaucrat colony

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10496 on: November 15, 2018, 01:20:43 am »

Is the magma contained, or is it slowly spreading out to cover the rest of the landscape?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

GenericUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10497 on: November 15, 2018, 08:26:34 pm »

Is the magma contained, or is it slowly spreading out to cover the rest of the landscape?

I may or may not have tapped into a volcano for this. And a stone office with a now tantruming farmer is not the best place to hide. I give them a month before they all starve.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10498 on: November 16, 2018, 09:52:09 pm »

I may or may not have tapped into a volcano for this. And a stone office with a now tantruming farmer is not the best place to hide. I give them a month before they all starve.
Is there a pick in there? Or a metal bar along with any other building material? Or a piece of ore and a piece of coal?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10499 on: November 17, 2018, 04:55:48 am »

Is there a pick in there? Or a metal bar along with any other building material? Or a piece of ore and a piece of coal?
You can't get around needing an anvil for a forge.

There's always the chance migrants will show up in time, with possible access to picks.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 ... 698 699 [700] 701 702 ... 729