Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 ... 1346

Author Topic: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games  (Read 2705788 times)

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora - The Dwarf Fortress of 4X Games
« Reply #18030 on: May 11, 2016, 06:57:25 pm »

If the ship is faster than the turret, which is used? And is there any conceivable reason to have a turret that is slower than the ship?

The turret speed is used, unless it has a tracking speed of 0, in which case the weapons acts as if unturreted.
This has several small uses: It lets you armour weapons without forcing you to add turret gear. It allows you to combine several weapons to a larger system. With multiple barrels, it decreases crew requirements (by about 10% for a quad mount).

woosholay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18031 on: May 12, 2016, 01:41:33 am »

Ozy, Quill18's playthrough was pretty much my tutorial of the game. Although you have to watch it on a big screen (not an iPod touch) for best learning experience

Didn't know about this channel, seems pretty good so far, cheers.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18032 on: May 12, 2016, 01:53:44 am »

Yeah, Q18 is awesome, although he makes about 1 n00b mistake per episode, sometimes finding out about it 10 episodes down the line (cough cough rimworld cough cough). He donated to Toady, does DF playthroughs (his MW playthrough he used the manager to make wooden arrows instead of bolts), Aurora, KSP and many others.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18033 on: May 12, 2016, 03:04:39 am »

His lets play was very informative, but also kinda dry.  He hid in Sol with nprs turned off (so they dont show up until he goes looking) then teched up for ages, built a few warship, then stopped
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18034 on: May 12, 2016, 03:15:26 am »

What are civilian mining colonies? I see them spawn sometimes, but they don't do any mining that I can see. What should I do with them?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18035 on: May 12, 2016, 03:24:11 am »

Make an race and warship with spacemaster mode and NUKE DEM ALL

Or ya'know, buy everything they mine
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18036 on: May 12, 2016, 03:47:24 am »

What are civilian mining colonies? I see them spawn sometimes, but they don't do any mining that I can see. What should I do with them?

If you select them in the economy windows and look around (I THINK it's Civ/Ind tab), you have an option to either purchase their mineral output, or let it go to the civilian sector and tax it. If you let it go to the civilian sector, they will produce wealth (125/year/MC I think) and mine minerals but those won't appear in your mineral stockpile. They just disappear.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18037 on: May 12, 2016, 11:08:41 am »

Thanks for suggestion Quill. I seem to remember seeing him to videos for Banished when it was close to release. He did a conventional start so things are slow, but I'm probably just going to start a world with the point buy research setting.

I do have a question, when I was following along with some other guy's tutorial we set up infrastructure on the moon and then basically let the civilian fleet go and expand the colony with supply/demand. However, unrest began to rise quickly for me (but not for the guy in the video so he never covered it) and it just kept bugging me about how unrest was increasing on the colony. Basically I want to know how to build a PDC on a colony that has no factories and has a lot of unrest so the PDC would never be complete. Am I just not not putting enough factories on the colony? The PDC is packaged in one section and trying to 'assemble' it there's pretty much no progress because of how much unrest is decreasing factory output.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what is happening.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18038 on: May 12, 2016, 11:27:05 am »

If your population is too restless to work, you can build construction brigade and transport them to do the job of assembling a PDC. Do note that if it's a protection level issue, ships or PDC on Earth will do too, since it's system-wide?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18039 on: May 12, 2016, 11:30:03 am »

Sorry, the very next video in Quill's playlist is addressing the exact question I'm asking @__@ but thanks anyways. The system-wide thing would be interesting since I could just make very cheap PDCs that are basically empty conventional ICBM silos sitting on Earth just to get people to shut up until I can get something that would actually protect them.

The construction brigade sounds interesting, might have to look into that.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18040 on: May 12, 2016, 02:49:48 pm »

Are max jump sizes when utilizing a jump tender still the smaller of the tender's jump capability and the tender's own total size?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18041 on: May 12, 2016, 03:35:21 pm »

Yes. A tender can't jump ships that exceed the rating of its JD, nor those that are larger than it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18042 on: May 13, 2016, 06:52:15 am »

Does the "max squadron size" include the jump ship itself?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18043 on: May 13, 2016, 12:11:12 pm »

I dunno if anyone is interested, but I'm going to run a design championship on the Aurora forums: people design ship and I make them fight.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18044 on: May 13, 2016, 03:29:51 pm »

What are the rules about tech?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 1201 1202 [1203] 1204 1205 ... 1346