Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8176 8177 [8178] 8179 8180 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13191467 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122655 on: May 31, 2017, 10:22:49 pm »

Oh, please. "He's smart but he's stupid."

No. He's religious, and is building what he deems as a rational argument in favour of his religious conviction. I'm no believer myself, but I can understand that.

What he deems as a rational argument. Not an actually rational argument. "Fifteen-year-olds do it, so it's immature, so it's bad, so we shouldn't let adults do it" is not a rational argument.
Yeah, I'm afraid I didn't use your paraphrasing to form an opinion on the piece. I understand you're angry with him and passionate about the matter, but you did obscure his argument somewhat.
The average fifteen-year old teenage boy is genetically predisposed to copulate with anything that moves. We are compassionate and forgiving of those who cannot resist this temptation, but we do not regard as adult anyone who has not overcome it; and we can only help others overcome these "genetic predispositions" by teaching them that we expect them to meet a higher standard of behavior than the one their own body teaches them.

Does not mean
"Fifteen-year-olds do it, so it's immature, so it's bad, so we shouldn't let adults do it"

Rather, it means that those who can not control their own body urges are not adults, and that the rule of the body is not the rule of the man. This quote is in the context of homosexuals wanting to be Latter Day Saints and still practice homosexuality. He is saying that, like the unmarried, these should not indulge in frowned upon sexual acts - they should show the sexual restraint required of adults, and defeat genetic predisposition much as the unmarried should.

This is perfectly rational, based upon Church law and the fact that adults should be able to exercise control over bodily urges.

Ah, but poke further back and you still find the "immaturity" argument. It's just obscured. What is wrong with the rule of the body? What is wrong with body urges?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #122656 on: May 31, 2017, 10:23:32 pm »

wiki walked through lobsters and if they feel pain
...what? I can't make heads or tails of this. Is this even a real sentence?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122657 on: May 31, 2017, 10:29:15 pm »

Wiki-walking is when you just jump from page to page on Wikipedia.

Somehow this led to a page discussing whether or not Lobsters are capable to feeling pain.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122658 on: May 31, 2017, 11:30:05 pm »

I learned the Pocket Knife my dad bought be is impossibly sharp and I honestly feared for my fingers when I had to use it for the first time...

It isn't THIS model, but it is close enough

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had to CLOSE that... and in order to close it... you have to push the knife towards your exposed fingers.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:35:11 pm by Neonivek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #122659 on: May 31, 2017, 11:32:41 pm »

I learned the Pocket Knife my dad bought be is impossibly sharp and I honestly feared for my fingers when I had to use it for the first time...

I had to CLOSE that... and in order to close it... you have to push the knife towards your exposed fingers.

That image is 4120x3869, reduce the height, yeesh

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122660 on: May 31, 2017, 11:35:31 pm »

That image is 4120x3869, reduce the height, yeesh

Didn't know you could! But I copied your post and edited accordingly.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122661 on: May 31, 2017, 11:36:08 pm »

1. Could you possibly find a bigger image? That one's a little small.

2. Who the hell taught you how to handle a pocket knife? If your fingers are over the blade slot when there is any possibility of it closing, you are doing somthing very, very wrong. You grip the sides of the knife with your thumb and middle finger, and press the back of the blade with your index finger. On some knives you have a blade lock that you need to disengage first, but cutting yourself while closing a knife is only a possibility if you don't have a clue what you're doing and shouldn't be trusted with one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122662 on: May 31, 2017, 11:41:36 pm »

2) In order to close it... You need to pull the knife blade back further.

Then WHILE doing that, you need to push the Disengage Lever.

THEN while holding the Disengage Lever, which can only be pushed with the blade pulled back, you must pull/push the knife blade forward.

I have NO idea how one can achieve this without putting your fingers over the blade slot... What I am describing isn't even particularly easy to do and there is no way to get leverage (If it could be done with a LOT less pressure... Do able)

Mind you I didn't remove my hands while it was snapping down, I moved it until it was outside the lock while keeping my hand on the handle and blade... Then moved my fingers out of the way and pressed the blade down until it snapped into place.

---

It can probably be done easier... But I had to learn to close it on my own in the middle of the night with no help because no one is dumb enough to have a pocket knife.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:49:15 pm by Neonivek »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122663 on: May 31, 2017, 11:48:49 pm »

That sounds like the knife is broken in some way. I have never seen a folding pocket knife that couldn't be closed safely with one hand, let alone two, and have never seen a "safety" that required the blade to be opened further before you could disengage it. My uncle collects the things, and has literally boxes full of them, so I've seen a great many.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #122664 on: May 31, 2017, 11:49:35 pm »

To close those knives quickly and safely...

1. Grip the bottom of the handle between your index and middle fingers, so that the handle is between the middle knuckles of the two fingers and the blade slot is facing toward the back of your hand. This should put your thumb in a position to push the safety.
2. Using your other hand, manipulate the blade.
3. Profit!
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122665 on: May 31, 2017, 11:53:41 pm »

To close those knives quickly and safely...

1. Grip the bottom of the handle between your index and middle fingers, so that the handle is between the middle knuckles of the two fingers and the blade slot is facing toward the back of your hand. This should put your thumb in a position to push the safety.
2. Using your other hand, manipulate the blade.
3. Profit!

PFT!

Ok because people are doubting this... I'll risk my life and take it out once more...

The Safety is TOO hard to push. No there is simply NO way to push the safety without putting my fingers over where the blade goes... WHILE manipulating the blade.

ALSO OHH GOODNESS Was taking it out a bad idea... Ok no more testing the blade to prove how hard it is to move.

That sounds like the knife is broken in some way. I have never seen a folding pocket knife that couldn't be closed safely with one hand, let alone two, and have never seen a "safety" that required the blade to be opened further before you could disengage it. My uncle collects the things, and has literally boxes full of them, so I've seen a great many.

I think the Knife and safety are too difficult to move.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:56:12 pm by Neonivek »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122666 on: May 31, 2017, 11:56:07 pm »

more like an unsafety
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #122667 on: May 31, 2017, 11:56:48 pm »

I think the Knife and safety are too difficult to move.

I think you need a more... beginner friendly knife.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122668 on: May 31, 2017, 11:57:04 pm »

more like an unsafety

In all fairness I've had it for years and never used it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #122669 on: June 01, 2017, 12:04:54 am »

Taken just now at my desk.  First pocket knife my dad gave me at about 8 years old.

Had to share, because it was neat to see someone else showing off their first knife as being so similar.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:07:28 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 8176 8177 [8178] 8179 8180 ... 10984