Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Metal Beds  (Read 15245 times)

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Beds
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 01:15:05 pm »

While it may be realistic to use textiles for beds, I feel like textile industry in Dwarf Fortress can be one of the hardest to develop and maintain.  This could seriously reduce the number of beds a fortress can produce, which seems to me dangerous for such a common need.  If multi-part beds were implemented, I would want to see some kind of counter-balance, such as a cheaper kind of bed for peasants, or dwarves feeling more gung-ho about sleeping in dormitories.  For example, I don't think dwarves currently get any extra happy thought from sleeping in a high quality dormitory like they do from eating in a Legendary Dining Room, giving them happy thoughts from Legendary Dormitories would be nice. 

That would probably be more realistic though:  http://www.oldandinteresting.com/medieval-renaissance-beds.aspx   http://stores.renstore.com/history-and-traditions/sleep-in-the-middle-ages#.VNzGTZ1kMSI  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed#History

If you can make bedrolls out of textiles, it would make sense to me to allow dwarves to build something like a hammock or a futon which is purely textile. 

Also, if you can make beds out of metal, you should be able to make them out of glass as well, as glass-wood-metal seem to be equivalent to dwarves for making furniture. 

My argument for metal beds is that children of the earth like dwarves should not have to rely on objects that can be exclusively crafted with wood, especially since real humans have a long history of using stone, metal and dirt for their bedding.  I've felt since I started playing this game that forcing beds to be made of wood is out of touch.

The problem with your argument that fungal wood exists in the caverns so dwarves can always get enough wood to make at least their beds. 

The reason why wooden beds make sense is two fold.  The first of these is that wood is a softer material and therefore more comfortable than stone to sleep on and metal is the worst thing to sleep on.  This effect remains even if you place a soft fabric in the middle. 

The second reason is that dwarves do not use cloth for bedding.  Sawdust however must be produced in making a wooden bed and sawdust is quite soft enough to sleep on.  What is a DF fortress bed is actually rather like a wooden coffin filled with sawdust and the person sleeps in sawdust, possibly piling their clothes over their head to keep them from breathing the stuff in.  The coffin lid provides privacy for the person and keeps the sawdust from leaking out.

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 05:52:48 pm »

Also, if you can make beds out of metal, you should be able to make them out of glass as well, as glass-wood-metal seem to be equivalent to dwarves for making furniture. 
Makes sense.

My argument for metal beds is that children of the earth like dwarves should not have to rely on objects that can be exclusively crafted with wood, especially since real humans have a long history of using stone, metal and dirt for their bedding.  I've felt since I started playing this game that forcing beds to be made of wood is out of touch.

My reasoning exactly!

I'd love for some different bed types to be added.

Bedroll - 3xCloth: Portable, carried by military dwarves
Haypile - 3x Cave Wheat?: The lowest quality stationary bedding, slightly better than sleeping on the ground
Cot - 1 Stone/Metal/Wood + 1 Leather: Stretched leather over a frame, low quality bedding, unhappy thought if not military
Simple Frame Bed - 1 Stone/Metal/Wood + 1 cloth: Normal bedding, equivalent to current bed
Luxury Bed - 2x economic stone OR 2x Metal + 3x Dyed Cloth: Luxury Bedding, extra happy thought for sleeping on and 2x value modifier

This way you could get OK bedding with just wood and leather or just hay but wood + cloth is better. Leather is pretty easy to get normally.

OMG! +1 to this!  Having different levels of bedding like that would be awesome!

ETA: Maybe also add "pallet" to the list - 1 stone/metal/wood, and comparable to haypile albeit less comfortable. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:01:01 pm by Batgirl1 »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2015, 01:47:42 am »

While it may be realistic to use textiles for beds, I feel like textile industry in Dwarf Fortress can be one of the hardest to develop and maintain.  This could seriously reduce the number of beds a fortress can produce, which seems to me dangerous for such a common need.  If multi-part beds were implemented, I would want to see some kind of counter-balance, such as a cheaper kind of bed for peasants, or dwarves feeling more gung-ho about sleeping in dormitories.  For example, I don't think dwarves currently get any extra happy thought from sleeping in a high quality dormitory like they do from eating in a Legendary Dining Room, giving them happy thoughts from Legendary Dormitories would be nice. 

That would probably be more realistic though:  http://www.oldandinteresting.com/medieval-renaissance-beds.aspx   http://stores.renstore.com/history-and-traditions/sleep-in-the-middle-ages#.VNzGTZ1kMSI  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed#History

If you can make bedrolls out of textiles, it would make sense to me to allow dwarves to build something like a hammock or a futon which is purely textile. 

Le peasant bed:

It's just a bunch of straw pig tail fibers covered in cloth.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:51:05 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2015, 08:36:54 am »

Some Stone Beds from Pompeii/Roma:

To be fair, both of those are concrete, which might have a different feel than solid stone. 

In the viking age, the household slept on the floors and benches of the main hall (probably will wool or furs), while the house owners slept in a bed closet. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2015, 10:21:44 am »

Good idea to necro this, considering the TONS of threads about this.  It also lets us see the previous discussion and arguments.

I think that beds should definitely be able to be made without wood.  My bed is made of wood, a mattress, and some blankets, but another bed in the house has a metal frame instead of wood.  In the early days of a fortress, unless there is a wood shortage, wood would be the standard bed frame material, and still could, later on, depending on the scarcity and need for metal.  Mattresses and blankets should be a thing, though, before metal beds are added.  For that, we will need multi-material items, and that will be a long time in the future.  I'm torn on whether unrealistic just-metal beds should be added in, and the blankets and mattresses just assumed to be there, or stuff should just stay the way that it is, or hammocks added in as a temporary fix.

EDIT: Didn't see all of the posts.  Well-style beds are the most awesome, fixing, and easier-to-code ideas I have ever seen.  Bravo!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:27:00 am by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]