Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 650589 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2012, 10:49:17 pm »

Kickstarter FAQ says they're on the honor system. Projects are definitely better when the creator actually has some content produced. I'm all for things like the FTL or Schlock Mercenary Board Game kickstarters, where the creators already have a working demo and they're just looking for publicity and preorders, but there's also a ton of the "give me money so I can start work on my thing and I'll send you a thank you note if you pay $100" variety that seem to go (fortunately) mostly unfunded.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2012, 10:50:03 pm »

FTL, that game looks damned cool.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2012, 11:08:22 pm »

FTL, that game looks damned cool.
I think Kickstarter is going to be bad for me in the long run...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 20, 2012, 01:04:47 am »

Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Asgarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:14 am »

Somehow, those features aren't really that great... Most of it seems pretty standard (well, excluded the server=unique world thing and the generic characters..).
Also, the only fckin idea for crafting is that he will create APPS to craft??
That fucked it up for me, i LOVE crafting, and his only goal is to make it less present in your game time.

Poor guy, even IF he somehow manages to make an actual game out of that bunch of words, it won't be anything special...

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #215 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:21 pm »

I see Kick Starter as a sort of alternative investment source. Usually, a few rich people support projects that they think will make them money through investment. Kick Starter projects aren't necessarily being made for profit, but they can be. Either way, people invest not because they'll see a cash return, but because they want to see the project come into fruition. Bonuses can be applied towards the project to make the process more fun and rewarding to those who sacrifice more for something they want to see happen. The big draw of Kick Starter is that you don't need a few fat cats to pour five thousand dollars each over your project - A few hundred people donating smaller amounts will accomplish the same thing.

So I'm perfectly fine with Kick Starter, and I think it's a brilliant way to gauge interest (And support!) in a project before it gets launched without dealing with the hassles of triple-A pre-ordering. I do think that Kick Starter should be a little more strict than "i haev idea giv me monee" in order to have more high quality stuff that people can browse through. It makes successful projects more prominent, which increases the chances of the projects being successful.

In the least, they should have different stages that the product is in to sort through - Stuff like Complete Product (Like a book that just needs a bump to get printed), Prototype (A game with a working version), Completely Documented (All the specs are set in stone, just not created), Partially Documented (A fair amount of the design is set in pencil), Basic Idea (A basic list of things the product will be). We'd be able to sort through stuff with more promise a lot easier, especially if things could fall under multiple categories (Prototype & Basic Idea, or just a Prototype). Heck, let's start a Kick Starter to make it happen!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/richardgnw/thera

Understatement of the year: "Thera is a computer game."

Shortly followed by two whole minutes of the guy playing the game in complete silence. While I'm rather surprised at how good he is at his own game, the video slowly degrades into "strategies to play the game that I'm making that you can't play yet".

I laughed the entire time.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:50 am »

Wow, there's a lot of weird kickstarter projects out there. I guess I shouldn't really be surprised by that, but wow. A lot of people want a lot of money before they've even started work on their thing.

I like some of the rather unreasonable gift levels some of these people have.

Like the last link you've got there only has two:

"Pledges of $25 and up will recieve a Thank You note from me and updates on the project."

"The first five pledges of $500 or more will recieve a copy of the ebook when it is completed."

It's an ebook, lady. It costs you nothing to make as many copies as you like, and yet you want $500 for a copy? Really? And only 5? Why limit it?
A much more reasonable timeline would be (IMO)
$1 - updates, $10 - thank you note, $25 - copy of ebook, $500 signed copy of an actual book.

But hey, she's got $1 pledged so far, so I guess she knows what she's doing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 21, 2012, 09:20:39 am »

"Please pay me money so I can pay a manufacturer to make something for me."

And a thank you note and "updates" for $25? Does she still think we're in the 1870s and are relying on Pony Mail? Jesus christ lady, it would take you all of 4 seconds to post an update to the Kickstarter page.

It's projects like this that sort of make me amazed that anyone started taking Kickstarter seriously.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #218 on: March 21, 2012, 09:38:05 am »

You have to make the prizes worth it. The draw of donating more is getting special prizes to reward you for donating. Asking people to donate just so they can get updates, when thousands of Internet sites across the world post updates without charging a penny, is ridiculous. You need to make your prize not only worth the amount you're asking for, but something unique and interesting for those who donate a larger amount. That means you actually send a donor your product when they pay for the amount the product would cost, and something cool to those who are in love with your idea and want to feel special about it.

$5 - Copy of Ebook; $10 - Thank you note, Ebook; $25 - Book-Themed T-Shirt, Everything else; $50 - Book-Themed Poster, Everything Else; $100 - Signed copy of book, everything else; $500 - Personal thank you note in signed book, your name included in 'thank you' section, everything else.

It makes it easy to weed out the people who simply made a Kick Starter without much of a plan than 'get some money for the thing I want to do', though. If they're not willing to do something cool for the people who give them money for free, no matter how insignificant $5 seems, then it makes it easy to believe that they're going to put the same amount of effort into their product (IE, not very much).
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #219 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:41 am »

Here's a good way to do it:

Tier 1: Thanks, Updates, and everything else you can do for less than 1 cent each. Minimum of $1.
Tier 2: $7; digital copy of whatever you're working on when complete, if applicable. If it's a physical project, skip this. Seven dollars is pocket change; Eight dollars is almost ten bucks.
Tier 3: Costs about $25. This includes a "feely" of some kind. If possible, a low-cost part the product. People are used to paying $20 for stuff. If they're getting a tangible item, then it works. For instance, if making a software program, send a CD in a case. If making a sailboat from a burned-out tree, send authentic bits of polished wood.
Tier 4+: Depends highly on the product. Each tier should offer tangible benefits over the previous. Don't offer your product for less than production costs- or, if you do, offer a limited number of them, like ten. You're basically bribing ten people to publicize your project so they can get their boat for below price.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 21, 2012, 10:47:36 am »

Here's a good way to do it:

Tier 1: Thanks, Updates, and everything else you can do for less than 1 cent each. Minimum of $1.

$1 for updates is the "you like our project, but don't really want anything, you're chipping in because what we're doing is cool" level.
I found it hilarious when my project was mentioned on Board Game Geek's forums, and they're all "A DOLLAR TO SEE THE RULES?" and a few derisive posts about how we'll "never make it" because "there's no physical game from the onset."  Cue two weeks and $13,000 later...
What you actually get for the $1 level tends to vary, though, as does the price (Three Kings Chess, for instance, has all of their reward levels in multiples of 3, so their lowest is $3).  But it still generally revolves around the theme of the token donation with token reward.

Tier 2: $7; digital copy of whatever you're working on when complete, if applicable. If it's a physical project, skip this. Seven dollars is pocket change; Eight dollars is almost ten bucks.

Our $5 reward is basically the demo game, in digital format, and what we've been giving out to reviewers for free (although it'll be laid out better).

Tier 3: Costs about $25. This includes a "feely" of some kind. If possible, a low-cost part the product. People are used to paying $20 for stuff. If they're getting a tangible item, then it works. For instance, if making a software program, send a CD in a case. If making a sailboat from a burned-out tree, send authentic bits of polished wood.

$18 is our final, polished game, in digital format.
$22 is the same, but with Kickstarter exclusive cards.
Originally these were $15 and $25, but in talking about it, we squeezed the prices together so it's a "it's only $4 to get bonus stuff!" and largely it's worked (only 21 backers at $18, but 101 at $22).

Due to production costs of the physical product, that's priced at $48 (+$10 for international), and wasn't available until after we met our goal (which was to barely cover art costs).

Tier 4+: Depends highly on the product. Each tier should offer tangible benefits over the previous. Don't offer your product for less than production costs- or, if you do, offer a limited number of them, like ten. You're basically bribing ten people to publicize your project so they can get their boat for below price.

Our "tier 4" items were customized content.  $75 to design a card to be included in the final game, $250 to get a custom raptor playmat (whatever accessories you'd like on your raptor!) and $500 to break from the whole "raptor" thing (unicorn?  SURE!).  All three levels of which come with a physical copy of the game, and were limited.  We're still trying to figure out what other Tier 4 items we can offer, as ours are sold out!

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 21, 2012, 11:15:34 am »

I think boardgames do especially well on kickstarter, since BGG works as such a good resource. And eurogamers tend to take things into perspective.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 21, 2012, 11:32:40 am »

I think boardgames do especially well on kickstarter, since BGG works as such a good resource. And eurogamers tend to take things into perspective.

We've had only 3 pledges come in from BBG. :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2012, 11:33:23 am »

-snip-
This bothers me to no end: Please, please, please change "wet your appetite" to "whet your appetite". BLARGLGLELRRL.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2012, 12:09:09 pm »

I'm curious why so many entries offer "updates" as one of the rewards.  Isn't sending you "updates" on the status of the product just putting you on their mailing list?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 213