Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #28 Feedback  (Read 163241 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #28 Feedback
« on: February 04, 2021, 03:23:31 am »

The twenty-eighth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.  DF Talk questions are welcome.  We'll need a fresh batch of questions, so please keep them coming.

Transcript:  We've been piling them on, so we're still back at episode 24!  Hopefully this will come together over time. (x3)

Credits/acknowledgements for this time:

Capntastic has a Twitch channel now at goodmorsel.  You can follow Capntastic on Twitter and support Capntastic on Patreon.

Mentioned in the episode: RisingSunZ (Twitch), Hyperbolica (Steam), Realms of Antiquity.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #28 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 04:18:30 am »

Animated cheese maggots!
Ha ha ha... 🤣

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:10:13 am »

Regarding mine carts and rubble:

It looks to me that you'd need partial volumes (such as depleting sand/clay deposits and soil movement terraforming) to implement a stockpile/dump site/zone for rock rubble and then have rubble being moved to the stockpiles(s) using mine carts but without actually constructing any tracks (leaving tracks for hauling routes, but ignore the tedium, confusion, and ugliness of having tracks through your tavern just because you're expanding beyond it. Also, leaving staircases as a viable option to reach further down and still get the rubble out is useful, although elevators could still be required after they've been implemented, if dorfs can be taught to use them for hauling transport). These stockpiles would need to have some kind of rules about how high they may grow before getting full (3D definition?).
Rock rubble might be possible to use as a construction or crafting material so it won't just be a matter of garbage disposal.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2021, 10:47:49 pm »

Only just got around to listening to this[1]. I haven't seen the original 'request' for a hex grid, supposedly to help with diagonals, but you need to consider that it may give you two sets of diagonals face-to-face, but either sideways or up/down (your choice[2]) are now corner-to-corner passes. Which is at least as annoying if you aren't happy with that from the start.

Coordinating hexes is a little awkward. You can do a skewed grid[3] of /_/ or \_\ 'squares' or alternate miss-odd/miss-even[4] without skewing (assuming you don't use 'halves', or don't explicitly but assume[5] so).  Yeah, I'd say that if you're not (re)starting out anew, best avoid trying to convert. ;)

(Also, the standard cube is a hexahedron, as I'm sure you realised later. Though you mean something with >6 edges with non-orthagonal face-to-face angles, which is a bit awkward. You probably should take a cue from the (not necessarily platonic) solid that uses the 'kissing' points of one or other packing of spheres. I think an edge-kissing lattice of octahedra (fudge the unkissing gaps between, or overlaps if you nudge them closer to have face-centre touching face-centre) as  is probably most logical but might be all diagonals[6], or else choose just 1D out of the 3 to be axis-orthagonal if you twist it accordingly.)

I think I had that particular hyperbolic game on my prior tablet. I must get it onto this one some time. If you could tightly pack icosohedra in (necessarily) non-Euclidean 3D space then you'd have plenty of player-choices for straight lines -  but weirdness in general and very few practical right-angles to any given axis!

Hah, I'm rambling. Don't mind me, the thing next in my listening queue that is playing to me now (no further D-things, nor E-things or F-things, it's a G-thing!) is distracting me from properly composing this. So E&OE, possibly. Someone else'll spot an elementary geometric error that crept in, I'm sure  :P

[1] I have a lot of things 'queued' and I try to go through in wrappedharound alphabetic. Just got (back) to the Ds...
[2] ...or skew the hexes so that neither orthagonal is represented, say 45°, 105°, 165°, 225°, 285°, 345° and wrap. ;)
[3]
Code: [Select]
2,4 3,4 4,4 5,4 6,4
  2,3 3,3 4,3 5,3
1,2 2,2 3,2 4,2 5,2
  1,1 2,1 3,1 4,1
0,0 1,0 2,0 3,0 4,0
[4]
0,4 2,4 4,4 6,4 8,4
  1,3 3,3 5,3 7,3
0,2 2,2 4,2 6,2 8,2
  1,1 3,1 5,1 7,1
0,0 2,0 4,0 6,0 8,0
[5]
0,4 1,4 2,4 3,4 4,4
  0,3 1,3 2,3 3,3
0,2 1,2 2,2 3,2 4,2
  0,1 1,1 2,1 3,1
0,0 1,0 2,0 3,0 4,0
[6] Unless you prioritise corner-to-corner travel, when its two mutually exclusive but entwined cubic packings.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 10:47:13 am »

hey good news you said my name right the first time.  It's neb-lime  :)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

darkhog

• Bay Watcher
  • JAGIELSKI is PERFECTION
    • View Profile
    • Jagielski Gaming YT channel
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 12:03:39 pm »

Wish you still provided transcripts. The "combined one" seems to end at #24 and I am usually a fast reader, I don't really have a time to listen to something for an hour. Not to mention that deaf people exist.
I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole. Diggy Diggy hole, diggy diggy hole.

If I say something funny, don't ask if you can sig it. Just do it (though credit me).

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 01:43:45 pm »

Any news when enemy invasions will include siege weapons?
Would be great fun watching enemies bring catapults to destroy our walls or bring battering rams to knock down our gates.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2022, 09:12:06 pm »

Any news when enemy invasions will include siege weapons?
Would be great fun watching enemies bring catapults to destroy our walls or bring battering rams to knock down our gates.

Siege engine improvements depend on state of boats, lifts/moving fortress sections, since these should all use the same framework
Not until after myth and magic arc, so probably next decade.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Haggoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 12:00:24 pm »

With the steam release, lots of events stop pausing the game and redirecting to the source of the event.  I realize that is something that can be changed back with the .ini files, but wouldn't it be better to have the default be to have it redirect and pause and have the players turn if off if they want?  Seemed even more strange with the steam release since a lot of new players are coming on, and they don't know how important these events are.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2022, 04:55:04 pm »

With the steam release, lots of events stop pausing the game and redirecting to the source of the event.  I realize that is something that can be changed back with the .ini files, but wouldn't it be better to have the default be to have it redirect and pause and have the players turn if off if they want?  Seemed even more strange with the steam release since a lot of new players are coming on, and they don't know how important these events are.
No doubt an intentional feature to keep the game moving. Same as not pausing on menus.
(DFTalk #28 is not really the place for this discussion. If you have a question for Toady, post in Future of the Fortress thread).

dwarffun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2023, 03:34:26 am »

Sorry for ranting, but with versions 50.x I permanently run into frustrating situations.
1. Keybindings... WTF?! I was used to my keybindings like a century... you would not change your keybindings on emacs either, would you?
2. Mouse... WTF?! I play on a notebook on my way from/to work in a train. Imagine the satisfaction of using a touchpad in an environment (train) which permanently moves you into random directions.
3. Cursor... WTF?! Finally found out how to reactivete it (partially!) and Up/Down/Left/Right does not move the cursor by one anymore...
4. Building stairs? Fail
5. Ramps with tracks? Fail
Sorry ... not worth playing currently. Big bunch of things which simply are - no fun -.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2023, 05:32:26 pm »

Sorry for ranting, but with versions 50.x I permanently run into frustrating situations.
1. Keybindings... WTF?! I was used to my keybindings like a century... you would not change your keybindings on emacs either, would you?
2. Mouse... WTF?! I play on a notebook on my way from/to work in a train. Imagine the satisfaction of using a touchpad in an environment (train) which permanently moves you into random directions.
3. Cursor... WTF?! Finally found out how to reactivete it (partially!) and Up/Down/Left/Right does not move the cursor by one anymore...
4. Building stairs? Fail
5. Ramps with tracks? Fail
Sorry ... not worth playing currently. Big bunch of things which simply are - no fun -.
You seem to have posted this in the wrong place.
(Haven't had any trouble with ramps and tracks. Maybe start a thread about it in Gameplay questions?)