Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tales Foretold: Queens and Kings, A Threetoe Story  (Read 469542 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Tales Foretold: Queens and Kings, A Threetoe Story
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:09:06 pm »

A fantastical murder mystery for the holidays!  Tales Foretold: Queens and Kings.  Threetoe's stories are posted up on Threetoe's Stories, and Analysis.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Tales Foretold: Queens and Kings, A Threetoe Story
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:34:47 pm »

Daaaaayum
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 09:05:10 pm »

Hell yeah, new Threetoe tale!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 09:19:35 pm »

Funny, it was just on my mind earlier today that it's been a while since we had a new Threetoe story. Can't wait to read this! :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 11:24:35 pm »

Always happy to see these, thank you Threetoe.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 05:54:44 pm »

Well seems like Threetoes stories are so well received that they lead the server to overheat XD

In all seriousness, i couldnt get to the website in the last 4 hours. It just keeps timing out on me here.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 06:15:32 pm »

Yeah, bay12 seems to be down today. Don't think it's related to the story.

EDIT: Oh good, it's back up.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:52:09 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 08:47:29 pm »

(Ha ha, it *was* related to the story, in the sense that somebody notified us of two typos over PM, and when I went to ftp the fixes, I got a failure message.  So I rebooted the server and it didn't turn back on.  Put in a support ticket, and twelve hours later, the site has returned, and the two typos are fixed.  So, yeah, please return to enjoyment of the story!)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

yanko_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 10:19:46 pm »

made an account just to say how freakin awesome that story was, very exciting fiction, i love you guys

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 03:23:44 pm »

Loved it.
For me, an excellent creative endeavor like this is motivational, entertaining, and inspiring.
Thanks to any/all who contributed to it's inspiration & implementation!

Personal creative details:
The story reminded me of a D&D campaign in which I did some DMing & content work, using 3.5e, back in the 4e era.
With the Book of Vile Darkness as a central focus/inspiration, it was in a similar fantasy setting (with themes involving dark magic, and/or possible necromantic corruption). The map/universe was a homebrew, used only in a couple campaigns iirc, so plenty of room for added detail.
I've always had it in the back of my mind to keep working on the content [from an unfinished campaign plus notes & ideas for future content that are gathering dust]...  maybe write it up as a story.
Personal life details: On a more psychological note, since I've been studying the life + works of Jordan B. Peterson over the last couple years, I've considered in more detail about just exactly how rare?, misunderstood?, special?, valuable? creative talents actually are.
The new perspective I've gleaned on that subject, and many others, has given me hope, something I'd sorely lacked for many years.
Now I'm extra grateful for things like this [which remind me of that hope].
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 05:53:37 pm »

Is this the backstory to the demon lord Tremoda from the previous Tales Foretold story?

Truncatedurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 06:00:53 pm »

Ironicly better than books I've read recently...

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 06:11:23 pm »

Something I've often been curious of: are all of ThreeToe's stories meant to be a shared universe? Because Tremoda and several other characters (namely Bram) seem to recurrently feature in tales with no obvious connection otherwise.

Either way, loved it. Can't wait to read the conclusion. :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:13:11 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »

Death Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 06:24:20 pm »

Something I've often been curious of: are all of ThreeToe's stories meant to be a shared universe? Because Tremoda and several other characters (namely Bram) seem to recurrently feature in tales with no obvious connection otherwise.
In the analysis part at the bottom of this story there's some information about the setting:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/story/tt_tales_foretold.html

The latest story says that the "Kings and Queens" age is the 7th in the Tales Foretold setting.
So the timeline must be something like:
1, 2, 3: ?
4: first Nightmare Apocalypse
5: Dulchari Age
6: second Nightmare Apocalypse
7: Kings and Queens
8: Tremoda?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2018, 07:11:44 pm »

Yeah, I knew the Tales Foretold stories were one setting, I was just wondering if this applies to the other stories as well (Tremoda is mentioned in the story "Evil Squire", and Bram also appears in "Summoned to Darkness").
Pages: [1] 2