Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What are you going to play, Diablo III or DF?  (Read 23160 times)

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
What are you going to play, Diablo III or DF?
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:13:22 am »

Read the title.

I am going to play DF, cause may PC blew up, and it was completely capable of running Diablo III, damn!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:08:14 am by the_game_hunt »
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you going to play, Diablo III or DF?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:36 am »

Read the tittle title.

sorry, that was bothering me.

As for me, Diablo cries for my attention, at least through one character.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:57:02 am »

Is this a joke?

.08 is out with minecarts which can be fully loaded with +axes+ and thrown through ramps at invaders causing an explosion of gore, steel and lulz. Can Diablo 3 do that? No. No, it can't.

No, seriously: You'll be bored with Diablo after completing 60% of the game and realizing you've been doing the same thing for 15-20 hours (bashing monsters). Then you'll try online mode and get the story spoiled and broken by people who are 50 levels above you and cruise through the game to farm XP.

Diablo 3 is not Starcraft 2. Seriously, it's not. It's a game to play for a week and then let it catch dust in the shelf. Just like Diablo or Diablo 2. Only grinders will trully enjoy the game (but of course, given the amount of gamers who play grinding games nowadays, this could be a lot of people).
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:58:48 am »

Is this a joke?

.08 is out with minecarts which can be loaded with axes and thrown through ramps at invaders causing an explosion of gore, steel and lulz. Can Diablo 3 do that? No. No, it can't.

No, seriously: You'll be bored with Diablo after completing 60% of the game and realizing you've been doing the same thing for 15-20 hours (bashing monsters). Then you'll try offline mode and get the story spoiled and broken by people who are 50 levels above you and cruise through the game to farm XP.

Diablo 3 is not Starcraft 2. Seriously, it's not. It's a game to play for a week and then let it catch dust in the shelf. Just like Diablo or Diablo 2. Only grinders will trully enjoy the game (but of course, given the amount of gamers who play grinding games nowadays, this could be a lot of people).
I play free online grinds when I'm in the mood for them (korean freemium mmos). So no Diablo III for me.-

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 09:10:52 am »

(Corrected the typo)
In Diablo III you can make explotions of gore most classes, my favorite being the monk with " his 9 shadows (I think)"
My minecarts are bugged, I told them to put stone to an empty stockpile, nobody goes to put them.
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 09:44:18 am »

DF, easily. I have 0% interest in that online-locked-down-lagfest of a SINGLEPLAYER game.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:47:58 am »

DF, easily. I have 0% interest in that online-locked-down-lagfest of a SINGLEPLAYER game.

Sadly, this. I was once a Blizzard die-hard, and although I had some concerns about SC2's single-player online conceptually, in practice I had no problems with it whatsoever. I bought it for the multiplayer and got what I paid for in spades.

D3, by contrast... well, latency in a single-player RPG is unacceptable. Performance is one thing (here's to 50FPS DF meltdowns, huzzah) but server-side AI and all that jazz is a prime example of DRM ruining an otherwise decent game. I'll be waiting for Torchlight 2 to release on Mac.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:08:56 am »

I never played another Blizzard game again after Diablo 2 made me sick to death of clickfests, and I was tired of RTS claiming to be "strategy".  I don't intend to go back to anything Blizzard ever makes again, unless they decide to start working in genres I actually care about.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:13:38 am »

DF whenever no-one else is available to play D3 with. EDIT: Or while D3 has overloaded servers...

(I'm a compulsive co-op gamer...)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:35:51 pm by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:37:40 am »

DF = free, 5 minute DL with nearly infinite possibilities

D3 = $60, 2 hour install, boring after the first playthrough, multiplayer might be fun, but meh.

Im gonna stick with DF, since it lets my imagination go wild with simple graphics and huge story

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 11:47:14 am »

Well, seeing as how I never buy games when they're first released, as they're just late betas, and I don't buy games I haven't tried yet, as too many of them suck (even latest parts of long-running franchises), and the fact that Diablo, while fun, isn't enough to keep my attention for longer than a few days, I'm sticking with DF.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

ranter

• Bay Watcher
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 12:02:49 pm »

After playing the beta I discovered it was exactly the same as Torchlight. And I didn't like Torchlight nor it's genre, so Dota 2 Dwarf fortress

USP45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 12:19:52 pm »

DF of course.
My love to Blizzard and D3 for a polished product.  Just not my cup of click-fest tea.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 12:21:39 pm »

Played only 2 Blizzard games in my life, 'The Lost Vikings' and 'Diablo 2', since then no chance for anything else they ever released. So, it's DF.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 02:12:57 pm »

I played the demo. I thought it had potential to be very interesting, but it didn't live up to it. There was visual variety in the monsters, and some variety in what they do, but not nearly enough. I could easily just use the same basic strategy against anything. Unless it's a cheap fast little game (which can be fun too), I want a game that makes me think, regardless of genre.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6