Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: What are you going to play, Diablo III or DF?  (Read 23169 times)

chronojiuj

• Bay Watcher
  • Blue Heaven milkshake
    • View Profile
Re: What are you going to play, Diablo III or DF?
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2012, 10:08:48 am »

Well I'm a huge d1/2 fan, but the drm has absolutely guaranteed that I'll be playing df instead of d3.
Plus the australian side of the d3 forums are filled with people completely unable to play the game at all due to server issues, and blizzard just doesn't give a shit.
Dwarf fortress makes you lose weight if you dig too deep and literally shake with anger when someone pulls the lever

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:42 am »

DF!!!

Tried the D3 beta, and it was a good solid experience and really liked the gfx style, but not amazing gameplay, and everyone i know who is playing live thinks the same. TL2 beta so far is a hell of a lot better, and cheaper!
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2012, 02:33:37 pm »

I tend to play DF over the long term.  At any given time, I'll be playing it for short amounts of time or not at all, but I always come back to it.  Where as other games I tend to to play a ton at once and then come back to them rarely or not at all.  So for me, D3 and DF aren't really going to eat into each other's time.

...that being said, the only reason I'm getting Diablo 3 is because some people I know are getting it and I haven't gotten a good co-op game in a while.  It sounds like Torchlight 2 is going to be pretty much the same thing but cheaper and with less annoying online "features".
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2012, 03:16:27 pm »

Diablo 3 = $60.00
Dwarf Fortress = $0.00

Cheap college student budget means that at the moment DF beats D3, though if I manage to get enough money then D3 will probably beat out DF, at least for a little while until I finish the game.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2012, 04:14:36 pm »

DF!!!

Tried the D3 beta, and it was a good solid experience and really liked the gfx style, but not amazing gameplay, and everyone i know who is playing live thinks the same. TL2 beta so far is a hell of a lot better, and cheaper!

This pretty much sums it up.  I got into the Torchlight 2 beta stress test for this weekend, and I completed the entire first act (the whole of the beta experience) in one sitting.  It kept me hooked more than any game has I have played since the release of Diablo 2, and that's including every MMO I've played(there's quite a few).  There is definately a few things that need ironed out in TL2, but it's definately more "Diablo 3" than Diablo 3 is, spiritually.  I've no problem supporting the guys at Runic games....y'know, the actual geniuses behind the Diablo franchise.

I will give credit where credit is due though, the team at Blizzard(which will NEVER be Blizzard North), have done what they done best.  Taken an existing IP and polished it to "just legal enough to not get sued".  Just this time they actually owned the rights to the IP from the get go.

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2012, 09:13:26 pm »

Well, seeing as how I never buy games when they're first released, as they're just late betas, and I don't buy games I haven't tried yet, as too many of them suck (even latest parts of long-running franchises), and the fact that Diablo, while fun, isn't enough to keep my attention for longer than a few days, I'm sticking with DF.

^ this  :)
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

slaytanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • my DFFD pack
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »

Probably not going to play Diablo 3. I built this computer in anticipation of Skyrim, bought Skyrim and did not have internet at the time, so I was pretty pissed about Bethesda teaming up with Steam. I had a hell of a time getting to play it after I spent $60 on the physical disk. I had to borrow my brothers mobile broadband card...anywayz... Most of the new games coming out are all eye candy and no replay value. Dwarf Fortress is always there waiting to eat up hours and hours of your time....
So let me get this straight....We are talking monkeys living on a dirt ball that circles a fireball ? WTF ?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2012, 06:17:06 am »

Dwarf Fortress, on top of the 2 or 3 other games I'm juggling on the computer, plus whatever I feel like putting in my PS2.

I'm not gagging at the thought of D3.  But this is a weak netbook that likely won't be able to handle it anyway so I'm not even remotely considering it.  Even if I could play, I still wouldn't plunk down $60 for it.  It'll either be popular enough that it'll stick around for a while and become affordable (hell that Battle Chest or whatever that had D1+D2 stayed in stores an insanely long time for a PC game), or it'll suck so bad that I won't miss it.  I'm guessing the former is far more likely to be the case.  In any case, I've got at least three other games that are similar to Diablo which can scratch the itch for that gameplay rather effectively anyway. 
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2012, 12:06:16 am »

With all the hacking reports going on about bliz servers being hacked(for want of a better word) you're prolly lucky. A guy on my DAoC server forum hadn't even had a chance to play the game since he bought it, logged on last night for the 1st time to find chars already created full of crap from being used to farm with ;p

If they are able to hack bliz servers or infrastructure in some way to get account access heads should roll at bliz for this. Or maybe they'll treat them like bankers and just give them a bigger bonus.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2012, 04:57:19 am »

I think it's more likely that people are just using shit passwords, or the same passwords and email addresses that got out in previous hacking incidents elsewhere. I enabled the security code phone app for my account to stop other people logging in to my D3 account anyway, even if they *do* get my password.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Fiskav

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2012, 05:15:18 am »

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 12:58:01 am by Fiskav »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2012, 06:21:40 am »

I've been told that the "account hacking" was a bug that allowed people to steal your session id if you joined the same (public) game as them. They didn't get any passwords or anything.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Shawarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2012, 08:41:13 pm »

I love Diablo 3.

My main, Urist McCasty the Voodoo Shaman, is awesome.
My 1st Alt, Urist McPanda the Monk, is hilarious.
My 2nd alt, Urist Cantrips the Wizard, is a beast.

Yet here I am downloading the new patch to play some DF tonight.....

I think it is about time I donated to Big Toads.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2012, 03:51:10 am »

DF still lol... I liked D2, but I don't feel like giving out 80$ for a halfway decent low end video card for D3 (which will probably want for a high end card anyway). Blizz kinda burned me out with WoW... I can't see D3 being designed much better.

Also, if you want a free MMO like RPG grind... Star Trek Online was fun, I made 50 and vice admiral in a week, was not forced to group, the characters graphical design options are the best I've seen. Didn't need to pay for any (C-Store) upgrades, to be competitive in pvp. But I got bored once the end game grind came. The episodes were fun for grinding xp, but the story lines were not phenomenal, just average. I highly recommend to any Star Trek geek that needs a break from hardcore simulation and wants a fun squad based click fest.

Also Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup or Caves of QuD are freeking awesome hack'n'slashes. So, nope, don't see myself paying for a modern grapical AAA game anytime soon. D3 would need to make me feel instant mindless bliss for that =p
I voted for BANANA!

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2012, 01:09:23 pm »

I'm playing both in equal measure right now. Diablo 3 is pretty fun, though it definitely has it's flaws. It's addictive and amusing right now but I don't think it's going to have any staying power with me. I just love the style of the witch doctor so I'll at least finish the normal mode campaign once. I really don't like the online-only aspect... several times I've been disconnected after clearing 3/4 of a huge area only to log back in and have to start from the beginning. Since I've only ever been playing single player I think that's ridiculous. >.> An offline mode should have been included.

Ultimately I think games like Titan Quest and Torchlight are far superior in just about every way. The Blizzard community is one of the worst in the gaming world too, IMO, so there's that. I'm just happy there's no 'general chat' ingame.:P

For me it was worth the buy, though just barely. I think I need to replay TQ now...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]