Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: What are you going to play, Diablo III or DF?  (Read 22907 times)

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are you going to play, Diablo III or DF?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 02:16:10 pm »

I don't understand what people are whining about. You right click to cast a spell, your character does some cool shit, monsters explode into piles of gold and gore. It's a primal joy. Bitching about WoW and others in the MMO space makes sense- the combat mechanics intentionally dull to support scaling over millions of players, but I would argue that running a dungeon with your friends in diablo is an enjoyable experience. If you want to farm you can farm, (as I inevitably will- I need them LOOTZ) but that's not required to enjoy the game, its like a bonus level.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 04:48:55 pm »

^ This.

I'll play both. I don't normally play multi player but all my friends are playing it so I will too, must be fun.

It's also a nice distraction while hauling bugs get fixed.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 05:37:06 pm »

Always online DRM and I can't play single player because servers are full, I think I'll pass.
Besides DF if FREE! F. R. E. E.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:40:42 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

pi_Age

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 07:30:17 pm »

I would go for the Co-op as I love co-op game, but table-top RPG is so much better (pleaaase, no D&D for me - hate it's mechanics...)

my coin goes for DF.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »

I played the very first Warcraft and Diablo and I am a Starcraft fan... so Diablo3 it would be. but I have only a netbook for at least the next half a year (and for the last 1,5years) so no gaming at all for poor meph ;) I am still waiting to personally experience MassEffect3, DeusEx3, DukeNukem, Skyrim and some other fine time-wasters.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2012, 02:59:21 am »

Yeah I got it, and I kind of regret it. I knew it was a click-fest, but I was expecting something like LoL or DotA, fast-pace, cool spells and cool enemies.

But pretty much it is the same thing over and over again. The strategy is too simple: Left-click away. The whole heal-pots dropped by monsters makes the game so much freaking easy. I never have to worry about going suicidal because the heal pots will pop up and I will be back to full. And on the rare chance that I WILL actually die, I still have my actual pots. AND I got the monk who has a heal -_-

I also hate the story. I liked it when I was a kid for some reason but now it seems...cliche. The whole idea of random demons coming out for the sake of evil to destroy the world; I just hate how black-and-white it is (after playing The Witcher, black-and-white morality in games annoys me).

So pretty much 60$ down the drain. One thing it did make me realize is how much I miss Bauldur's Gate. Man...that game was fun as fuck.

I haven't played online yet, and it does seem like it might be fun (Magicka was ridiculously fun online) so I might try that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 03:01:39 am by Die Nacht »
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:14 am »

They're remaking Baldur's Gate, actually.

Maxmurder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 10:57:45 am »

Last night I was installing Diablo and decided to play a little DF while i waited... Ended up playing DF till 1am. XP
The Sponge has become enraged!
Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...
IS ANGER.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 11:05:10 am »

Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 11:16:59 am »

Did you play Diablo II? Because it's the same without the silly min-maxing of stats. I would understand your posts if you haven't played it.

Personally I love the cliche story and the classic hero archetypes, it's fun and it's a blast in multi player. I agree is a bit too easy though but hopefully new difficulty settings will unlock after a while of play.

I also played a bit of DF so I'm playing both.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 11:44:20 am »

It's not even close to a serious decision for me.
  • Pretty poor right now, can't afford to waste money on games, plus I haven't even been able to afford a computer upgrade for a good long while, so I couldn't buy or play a newer game even if I wanted to.
  • Not really much of a computer gamer. If I pick up a game at all, it's usually a couple years after release, and I don't get excited by the same thing most gamers find exciting.
  • Also, not a big fan of either RTS or games with built-in storylines.
  • ...And not a fan of grinding games.
  • ...And I wasn't a fan of Diablo I or II when I finally tried them.
So, there is a spiral of increasing suck waiting for me in the computer gaming world, and Diablo III is waiting at the bottom of it. Or, I could just play DF. Which do I choose?

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 11:54:46 am »

Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

This, so much this.

I have a fear that they'll remake it just like they did with Fallout. Ignore everything that made the game great except for the most superficial surface parts and cram it into an engine that isn't really a RPG engine. I wish there were more real RPGs these days. Not everything needs to be a hybrid.

BTW I love that quote so much I'm sigging it.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 01:10:30 pm »

Did you play Diablo II?

I did but it was so long ago. I guess my preferences just changed.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 03:32:53 pm »

I have a fear that they'll remake it just like they did with Fallout. Ignore everything that made the game great except for the most superficial surface parts and cram it into an engine that isn't really a RPG engine.

Really?  I didn't care for Fallout 2 or Fallout Tactics, but I thought Fallout 3 was one of the best games I've ever played. 
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 03:45:57 pm »

I just dropped a $60 check to Tarn into the mail because fuck always online DRM.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6