Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Cave crab death pit. Thoughts?

Yes! Let the death pinchings commence!
- 6 (75%)
Eh, I could go with ants or crabs.
- 2 (25%)
No! I want my promised giant ant death pit!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28

Author Topic: The Story of Limulid, Goldenrocks. - Retired  (Read 48006 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Limulid, Goldenrocks.
« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2012, 03:19:39 pm »

Also a little OoC update, ore extraction will begin following thing autumn ambushes and caravans. Maybe we'll finally get a small batch of migrants.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »

There was a minor tussle with the last kea man, the other two having long fled for the hills. It managed to steal nothing, but did manage to scare Mona half to death.

“Wax, Skull, down by the spikes. We're about to pitch one off.” Feral ordered as the bugbear was dragged up in his cage. “Got it.” “Right-o Feral.” the two said, grabbing their weapons. “Hey, Skull, let me deal with this. Just get your kit for when you need it.” Wax said as the two went upstairs. “Whatever you say, you're the boss.” “Heh, don't let Mantis hear you talk like that.” Skull patted Wax on the shoulder and gathered his things with him, though Wax went out to the spike alone, and arrived in time to see Splint tilt the cage forward. It was over rather quickly. While the bugbear didn't get hurt, managing to roll to avoid the spears, Wax had more or less disassembled it with his pick before stomping its brain in. “Come on, next one!” he called up. “Give us a few, gotta bring up the next one.” Splint called back. Not long later, another bugbear came falling down the watchtower, getting gored on the spikes and before it could even look around had a pick shoved through its eye socket. “One more Wax, sit tight.” Splint called down. “Alrighty, not like I have anything better to do with my time.” Once more, a bugbear was flung off and dispatched, this one landing at an odd angle and getting badly gored on the spears before Wax put an end to it's miserable life with an upward strike ripping off it's head.

A few days later, a pair of giant boars got loose when a misinterpreted order was carried out. Osprey and Mona dealt with the mess relatively efficiently, and on the upside gave them more provisions. “Hey boss, since we have this fancy minecart, think we should run it into the mineshaft and start doing some exploratory mining?” Mattock said at dinner. “Perhaps. Corai, think you and Wax could carve out a makeshift track?” Feral asked the merchant and miner. “Wouldn't be a problem in the slightest! Such an endeavor may help further grease the wheels of commerce as it were!” Corai replied enthusiastically. “Right then. Get it done. We'll be finishing the first part of the roadbed and closing up the stockade by the time the hobgoblins return first though before we do any mining.” The others Nodded and continued with their conversations around the well. Feral knew what would happen once mining began and would rather put that off until they could defend themselves fully.

[A small update to let you know I'm still working at it! Decided I'll finally start fiddling with minecarts since I had one leftover from that silver xelic group I trounced the year before.]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2012, 08:32:56 pm »

Cool. I keep meaning to play around with minecarts more, but haven't done too much with them besides some basic rock movement.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2012, 08:48:46 pm »

I haven't even done that. I have an intense fear of my useful dwarves (the ones who get shit done) being killed by carts.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2012, 10:25:23 pm »

That's only a danger if the carts are powered by rollers. Guided carts can't hurt anyone, as far as I know.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2012, 10:28:41 pm »

Good thing I'm going the guided route then.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2012, 10:30:53 pm »

PING!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2012, 04:06:32 am »

“I want the militia topside in five. It's trade season and you all know what that means.” Mantis barked at the party in their little cistern. “Aww come on, we're celebrating our good fortune Mantis, lighten up.” Slade said. Mantis dropped a box of weapons in front of the group. “No. Gear up. It's ambush season and the bears and bugs won't pause for our merriment.” As if to make a point, the shrill cry of a dying Xelic was heard outside. “Case in point, the fools are blundering into the traps now. We need to be ready for them. And Corai, please try to not get hurt this time.” With that, the militia began reluctantly gearing up.

-

“Where the hell is Wax?” mantis demanded to know as the troops assembled. “Sleeping. He was up late smoothing the mine track tunnels.” Corai answered. Mantis let out an exasperated sigh and waved her troops towards the log-bridge. The sound of a xelic screeching a dying call made their presence painfully obvious they were in the area. Eventually, one blundered into Slade who quickly lashed it in the head with his plundered scourge as the others descended with ruthless efficiency dispatching the wounded and disorganized xelic raiders. “That was a little pathetic. Thought they'd put up more of a fight than that.” Osprey said as he yanked his iron trophy dagger out of one's head. “You alright Skull?”
“Yeah, just got clipped by one of the bugs is all. I'm sure Cobalt or Squid can't patch it up, looks superficial.” Skull had suffered a minor cut that had gotten between the chitinous plating of his beetle trousers. Usi meanwhile plucked a xelic's head off his pick and tossed it over his shoulder. “Hey, there's a straggler, who wants him?” He said, pointing with his pick. “You and Slade get him, you're closest.” Mantis said, sheathing her vibrant red blade after wiping it on her sleeve. Usi took off at a dead run, almost slipping into the stream as he closed on the spearbug, whom swung around and thrust a spear outward, only for Usi to parry the strike and split him in half with a pick spike to the body literally lifting its upper half from its abdomen. “Can we go back to the party now Mantis?” Usi said as if nothing had happened, the body flying in two separate directions while leaving the others stunned. “What?” He asked innocently. “I took one's head off, you just tore one in half.” Mona said, utterly shocked. “A pick be a mighty tool my dear, learn it's killing ability well.” Usi replied, only being semi-serious.

-

“Hail dwarves! We meet again!” The head Vamari merchant said with a smile. “I see you're laying a roadbed, it mad getting in here much easier!” “Indeed we are, how were your travels friends?” Feral said in greeting. “Good. We've a few weapons from a human town and a few different exotic leathers and such for trade with you. The bugbears and xelics who dwell among the humans were less than pleased about hearing you kill their kin.” The merchant replied. “What comes will come. Did you see the little show?” “If you mean that massacre by the log you have lain across the river then yes. Your miners are quite the warriors. One tore a xelic in half in one shot!” one of the guards interjected. “So I heard, it took them a few hours to fish their equipment and remains out.” Feral said with a small laugh. Suddenly a kobold came running away screaming it was sorry in dwarven with Targe chasing it. “ COME'RE YOU LITTLE PEST!” He shouted angrily as tackled it. It kicked him in the face and got to it's feet only for Targe to grab it by the leg and trip it up. “No-one kicks Targe Anvilstrapped in the face and gets away with it!” As he said this a beetle, one of the very ones he'd trained himself came barreling into the kobold. It sent the poor thief flying into the roadbed and ina dazed state suddenly felt searing pain from her left leg: Targe had grabbed her and bent her leg in the wrong direction.The eetle then brought a foreleg down and crushed her other leg's femure to hold her down before it went in and bit her arm, the mandibles tearing a away a large chunk of meat. Targe then smashed his elbow into the kobold's face, sending teeth down its own throat. Then the beetle muscled Targe out of the way and ina seeming hateful display, crushed its head between its mandibles, swallowing whatever happened to be in their grasp afterward. “Good show! Ahahaha!” Targe said happily as he patted the beetle in approval. “I'd say you've earned a warrior's name!... How about.... Dastotablel! Swordbust!” He said happily. The beetle didn't seem to object. “Why Swordbust?” Feral asked. “Cause his swordlike mandibles busted that kobold's head open of course!”

“Feral, I'm out of paper for my seasonal trade reports, so....” Corai said hesitantly. “It's fine, so long as we know what we have later.” Feral replied. “Real pretty, what happened here?” He asked, jesturing to the mutilated kobold. “Beetle ate the kobold's face.” Targe said. “Huh, well, glad to see you training the things was worthwhile! Oh, and our pet xelic's dead. Cobalt said it looks like it was an infection.” Feral went and check, sure enough was the xelic snatcher with a festering wound, and looking quite dead. “Welp, no sense letting the knife or bag go to waste. Get that stuff out. Oh, Corai, if you wouldn't mind see about getting us a mech or two made. I want to have a couple backup weapon tra-” “Hey guys! I struck gold!” Mattock yelled happily, bounding into the stockade. “Come again?” Feral asked, confused. “Was digging a downward shaft like you told me for the cart, and I hit a gold vein! Not only that, I think the mine might be close to breaching the caverns!” “Are you sure?” Feral asked, clearly worried.

“Positive! I'd know the sound of a rampaging monsterous cave crab anywhere!”

[It's baaaaack! Working on trade, made some glue for currently no reason, wiped out a violet xelic ambush, a beetle got a name and we struck gold! I cheated a little to see what we have for metals (jack shit, we're gonna have to import everything unfortunately besides gold) and to find the caverns. Didn't breach, on the grounds we're not ready yet. I've also decided to stop boring you with the trade reports for a season, since I forgot to list down what I bought earlier. No way I'll let this die!]

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2012, 12:04:18 pm »

whats glue for?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2012, 12:09:42 pm »

Books for Rune to make a grand library.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2012, 12:10:11 pm »

ok.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 01, 2012, 12:57:38 pm »

Sweet! Glad to see this is still going.

At least with gold you'll have plenty of wealth to trade for metals and ores.
Come play Mafia with us!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »

Yeah, such as it is. It's winter now and that unfortunately means my usual crowd control isn't gonna work anymore.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2012, 07:57:44 pm »

Splint and Corai spent several days gathering needed materials for their project. They were hellbent on beginning the greatest act of beast taming in all dwarfdom, or at least in The Somber Sling. Snow was beginning to fall as well, something they all agreed they could do without but accepted as inevitable. Feral began felling more highwoods to finish the stockade walls, though he had drawn up plans he's run by his clansmen (the group effectively seeing themselves as one after living and working together for two years) to have their other walls torn down and reversed outward to permit building a small armory to store their weapons and armor in, posting one of the newly molted giant beetles to keep keafolk out, as well as building a small apartment from adobe to give everyone true personal beds and space to call their own, after years of sleeping in the dormitory. After all was said and done, Splint and Corai brought their intentions forward and Corai began to carve mine tracks down to where Mattock ended his dig.

“I'll be downstairs if anyone needs me.” Mattock said, stepping out into the cold and heading for the food storage. “Alright, don't light your beard on fire like last time if you're gonna cook something.” Slade said with a grin, a small chorus of laughs coming from the group. “One time Slade, that happened ONE. TIME.” Mattock said irritably as he  moved to close the door behind him. Squid's sudden cries and her water breaking however brought him back in, Mantis and Cobalt helping her into a bed. After nearly three agonizing hours (that were only partially numbed by a barrel of blueberry cordial) a little boy joined the clan, whome Squid named Nightfire. Feral decided they'd build the gate with a single slab of pig iron incorporated, the bridge to commemorate the child's birth. Not long after the vamari left, congratulating the new parents. Another vain of gold was struck as well when an auxiliary access tunnel was dug. Feral made a hatch and door to it as work continued to make the route suitable for a mincart. And in good fortune, another child was born to a childless couple that was Mona and Lev. They named the hardy looking girl Coral Harp, since the following day she seemed to take great joy in playing with one the silver xelics that had died years ago left. It was also well into winter when they realized the caravan from home hadn't come.

“Oi! Get outta here you mangy gits! Go on and get gone before I bash your miserable heads in!” Lev shouted angrily at a tribe of coati men. They just yelled at him in whatever strange language they spoke. “Oh to hell with you, BOSS!” He shouted, and Feral came over, still dragging in a log. “What is it Lev, I'm busy.” He said with a  grunt. “These damned Coati folk are being a nusiance. Where's Mantis?” Feral shrugged “Hell if I know. If they're really bothering-” a sudden peircing cry came form the log-bridge; one had blundered into the weapon traps and a flying arm was enough fo an indicator that the victim had died. “Aaanyway, if they're bothering you so much get a weapon from the dorm and deal with them yourself or find someone to wipe the brainless fools out.” “No worries, I'm on it!” Slade said, walking by. “Those stupid things gave me the finger earlier, just needed the go ahead to stomp them.” Andi shouting obscenities drew their attention, but they dismissed it when they heard the sound of a dying coati man and a breif crack of something being smashed with a rock.
-
“Get off me you little shit!” Andi said angrily as the coati man jumped on her, trying to pull her cloak and her coinbag away. She kicked it off and got to her feet at the same time as the irritated coati man, and yelled at it, which caused it to flinch and run only for Andi to come at him from behind and tackle him onto the thick river ice. She grabbed it by the arm and bent it backwards unnaturally until it snapped, resulting in a horrific compound fracture that pieced the skin and spoted some blood before delivering a storm of punches to its body. An elbow to its gut however, resulted in a nauseating display as the beastman vomited all over both itself and Andi, which only served to infuriate her further than the initial mugging attempt already had. She slammed it against the ice sveral times, leaving the stunned mess on the ice, coming back with a fist-sized rock in hand and smahsing it's skull into unrecognizable paste, a ring of curses following every bash.
-

Andi came around the stockade dragging the body with the bloody stone in hand. “Little shit tried to mug me.” She said with an unbelieving tone. Suddenly a coati man rushed in, running for the depot to steal something, anything, so his tribe's deaths would not have been a total waste, only for Ragushat, the herd matriarch, to swing around and put her tusk through the man-beast's head, pulling off and throwing it aside with her trunk. “Annoying little pricks.” Lev said. “Slade will deal witht hem, he's a capable enough fighter to killa bunch of annoying critter folk.” Feral said reassuringly. Not long later, Slade did return, spattered in blood and his beard laden with clumps of snow. “Problem solved!” He said with a smile.

A flock of giant wren heralded the birth of Targe and Zinc's first child, whom they named Wren in their honor. The stockade was also finished at last, though soon a chunk would be torn down and rebuilt later to expand the protected area they could build in. A merchant's horn heralded the hobgoblins' winterly caravan, and an advance scout from the caravan said that they'd run into trouble, though the bugbears in question had been slaughtered uncompromisingly. In accordance to their usual MO, Feral sent some of the clan out to clean up the mess and bring in their weapons and armor. A master bugbear scout however caused a minor interruption, but was  quickly dealt with by the sturdy hobgoblin guards, who impaled it with extreme prejudice with their pikes and swords. However the enemy seemed to be willing to try again as another warband made their move, led by a hammerbear. The hobgoblin pikemen charged forward into the lead bear, an axebear who found himself slain when a pike punched through his head, the crude copper helmet not offering any protection against the steel tip. The lead two warriors then fell upon the enemy chieftain, one pike bashing into the hammerbear's side, bone breaking and copper scales being dislodged from the vest  holding them. Another punched through the scales and leather, tearing into the flesh and hide beneath. The bear roared in defiance and batted one of the warriors into the sturdy highwood walls of the stockade pike and all, only to have the second warrior get behind him and stab him in the back, ruining the lower spine and his pike nearly going all the way through. The hobgoblin manmaged to pull his weapon out before, in it's last spastic use of its legs, the hammerbear chief wheeled around and smashed his hammer into the helmeted head of the hobgoblin. While this didn't slay him, he did get sent  into the snow and mud with a thud and slight 'splop' noise, a puff of powdery snow being kicked up. The hammerbear called for his warriors to save him as the first pikeman got to his feet and stomped towards him, only for them to waver and turn to flee. “YOU COWARDS! YOU HONORLESS SCUM!” the hammerbear bellowed in rage as he was pressed onto his face and had a pike slammed through his helmeted head. The two hobgoblins, being more nimble than the rest of the guard detail gave chase to the fleeing bugbears, managing to catch and kill one more axebear before the three survivors escaped into thick underbrush. After the mess was said and done, another thief fell to the ancillary traps while another two were caught and imprisoned and Feral told the others to be quick about clean-up.

“All in all a good start to the new year right boss?” Lev asked cheerfully. “Quite so Lev. Nobody important got hurt, and we get to offload some of Skull's work. All in all, a fine start to the new year indeed.” Feral replied with wide smile. The two watch the cleanup from atop their lonesome watchtower, which would soon be eclipsed in height by the armory. The snow was melting and the river ice thawing, and with it came hopes others would come and make this place their home.

[So yeah! We're on year three of the settlement and year 8 of the world! Some babies were born, digshafts dug. I'm honestly glad the hobgobs dealt with the bugbears (one was literally alert and fleeing enemies; they'd wiped out all but two before I realized what happened) because it spared me the trouble. one even earned a title, though I have no idea what it was. The lacey somethingorother. Armory's being built, the stockade expanded somewhat, and while it went unreported in the story, the roadbed is nearing completion. I check the popcap as well and set it to 35 so as to keep the clan to a reasonable size until I decide to have a second group build a proper fortress underground.]

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2012, 09:18:07 pm »

Nice update! Good read, as always. :)
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28