Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69655 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [New Succession Game]
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2012, 06:29:25 pm »

FIRST. the fall caravan by the dwarves.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2012, 06:37:46 pm »

Hell, sign me up. I'll ask for a dwarfing with the next migrant wave, too.
Dwarf me up, if thou'd not mind.
I'd Like to be an armourer, furnace operator, or engineer, should one be free. Gender irrelevant.
Good luck.
Ok, you two have been added to the migrant list.
heres an idea: why dont we just steal everything the first caravan brings? that means around 6 anvils.
We're not that desperate at the moment, I think we can probably scronge 150 dwarfbucks of stuff for an anvil, and I don't think Overmind and Winter can singlehandedly slay the caravan guards. In any case, maybe a later overseer can go off the handle for some more !!FUN!! down the line when we actually have a capable military, but I don't see Harper ordering that.

In any case, I'm sure everyone's gonna pinch medical supplies from the caravan automatically as usual anyway due to that funny bug. :D Gonna have to come up with a story reason for that, actually... it... its a care package of goodwill from the Volcanoes of Rising? Something like that.

Actually I best get some crafts and stuff ordered up for trade. I think theres only 1 spiked wooden ball right now.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2012, 06:39:34 pm »

In any case, I'm sure everyone's gonna pinch medical supplies from the caravan automatically as usual anyway due to that funny bug. :D Gonna have to come up with a story reason for that, actually... it... its a care package of goodwill from the Volcanoes of Rising? Something like that.

I'm thinking more along the lines of "We need all this first aid crap more than you do out here!"
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42:45 pm »

I'm thinking more along the lines of "We need all this first aid crap more than you do out here!"
"Have you SEEN the Mosquito Men!? They can suck a dwarfs leg off from five feet away!"

Yeah I guess that could work. :D
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2012, 07:58:06 pm »

Dig the halls with picks and shovels,
    Fa la la la la la la la la.
    'Through the stone; strong and rawly,
    Soon we'll be deep in a barrel
    Find not caverns with beast a' feral

awww.. no comment on the awesome song?? It was stuck in my head at work all day.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »

Dig the halls with picks and shovels,
    'Through the stone; strong and rawly,
    Soon we'll be deep in a barrel
    Find not caverns with beast a' feral

awww.. no comment on the awesome song?? It was stuck in my head at work all day.

Well, you managed to infect me with it. I've been humming it all day too.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2012, 08:34:20 pm »

all you have to do to steal the shinys is deconstruct the depot while they are in it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2012, 08:55:19 pm »

that.....would ruin any challenge....
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2012, 01:50:30 am »

regarding the L'hopital bug

you, uh. COULD just, as soon as the caravan arrives, pause the game, and go to Activity Zones, go hover over the hospital, and de(a)ctivate it as long as the people are doing stuff. Or just remove the stockpile in the hospital and forbid the items so they won't get moved away.

Only reason I mention it is because I'm pretty sure that you lose reputation with the civ and they eventually start sieging, which would be bad news.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2012, 05:01:29 am »

It was nice you played along with it. I swear Bdak and my copy of Soundsense were in perfect cahoots for a couple of minutes. :D

all you have to do to steal the shinys is deconstruct the depot while they are in it.
I generally try to avoid exploits/cheats in games, unless said exploits either:
A) are basically required for you to live (hi Etrian Odyssey),
B) allow you to significantly reduce 'grinding' behaviour (which I tend to find boring and any chance to reduce it is welcome),
or C) you cannot avoid triggering them if want to take a certain path in which case you just deal with it.

So yeah, I've never used the deconstruct trick. If I wanted to take their stuff, I'd have to take it fair and square with overwhelming force. I have seen an Ambush take out caravans before, and thats about the only time I've ever got all their goods.

On the other hand, I'm not quite a hardcore enough gamer to consider reading guides and wiki's as being cheating like most of my friends; information gathering is, in my opinion, a required part of any good game.

regarding the L'hopital bug (snip)
Really? I've never seen a siege over this, perhaps because I always try to let the traders leave ecstatic or at least satisfied?

In any case, it only happens the once, so I'm inclined to let it be classed as a (C) exploit as noted above and let it pass. Our thread in the Hospital zone is already 1/2 full anyway since I brought some on embark; cloth/thread is dirt cheap most of the time (except giant cave spider silk and certain wools), and they nearly always leave with a large profit from my actual trades.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2012, 05:04:56 am »

I can just see a couple of dwarves running off with medical supplies while the trader adds more and more to his side of the offer, apologizing profusely all the time.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2012, 09:22:09 am »

17th of Limestone

Today, I started to pave the entryway leading up the depot I'd constructed. I'm doing this mainly so that our place will look a little less like a big hole in the ground and more like the entry to an underground base, as it should be with any good fortress. I also realised that some annoying boulders were rather in the way of our main entryway, so I asked Aussieevil to smooth them away.

With a little luck, we should eventually be able to build a road proper, and ideally some outer fortifications that'll make them humans look again at their own little fortresses. Yes, if we've got to copy their ideas, we should at least apply some Dwarf ingenuity and make them better!

Finally, when I told Winter that the booze supplies were starting to get low, I've never seen anybody move so quickly to get the Still and start distilling cave wheat. His determination to this task for the last few days has been quite astonishing; he's been sober and even nearly starved himself in the effort to get more rum and wine into barrels downstairs.

25th of Limestone

Salmeuk's hard work is quite evident now; we now have 12 bars of smelted Iron and quite a decent stack of Coke.

Also, the Lake has frozen over again today and the chill is setting in once more. At least we now have a relatively insulated home, as I imagine the winter will be quite harsh when it finally hits. Fortunately, Aseaheru managed to pull in quite a decent catch of fish before then which have all gone into the pot to prepared into very fine rations by Laularukyrumo.

Vex was also making some pots and some other strange things in the Craft shop earlier today. They look odd, but maybe some crazy merchant will eventually stop by and pick them up. I also asked her to make some more bone bolts as Winter has gone through his supply again.

1st of Sandstone

Another five dwarven refugees showed up:

I guess I should interview them right away, though it seems as though Vex knows them all, as she was waving to them.

Ok, thats all for now; its been a fairly generic autumn so far. I'll get the migrants full profiles up ASAP, but I'm busy this evening again so it may have to wait a bit. They are indeed relatives of Vex (one younger brother, one niece, and their wives + 1 kid). They've also brought a Giant Bat called Melbil and a nameless Giant Olm along that I'm going to set to guard (probably) along with the War Dog.

They are a Fisherdwarf, two Farmers with all tasks on, and one Peasant/Axedwarf. Again, married couples.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2012, 01:25:01 pm »

MILITARY RECRUUUUUUUUUUITS

although that's mostly because I literally never ever fish, and so I put all my incoming fisherdwarves into the militia. o-o

edit: SASHIMI FOR EVERYONE
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2012, 03:00:45 pm »

have the peasant be a stoneworker. smooth walls and tables for everyone!
Highly Opinionated Fool

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2012, 03:19:56 pm »

Has nobody noticed that they brought along a pet giant bat?

I move that Melbil be our mascot.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 31