Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69641 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [New Succession Game]
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2012, 03:21:03 pm »

i vote that the Olm is mascot.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2012, 04:45:04 pm »

Eh. Someone's probably a vamp, explains the pet bat. Restrict them to a solely underwater burrow, they'll die when the lake freezes.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2012, 04:51:40 pm »

look first.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2012, 05:01:47 pm »

Could I be dwarfed as the pesant please. Make him an axedwarf.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2012, 05:14:00 pm »

he IS one.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »

Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2012, 05:25:23 pm »

Eh. Someone's probably a vamp, explains the pet bat. Restrict them to a solely underwater burrow, they'll die when the lake freezes.

Not true! The bat and olm could have been "liberated" from a gobbo camp.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2012, 07:33:12 pm »

Sorry for no further updates, was out alot longer than originally intended and now gotta get to bed soon.

Could I be dwarfed as the peasant please. Make him an axedwarf.
Yeah he is already an Axedwarf (3), but sure.

MILITARY RECRUUUUUUUUUUITS

although that's mostly because I literally never ever fish, and so I put all my incoming fisherdwarves into the militia. o-o

edit: SASHIMI FOR EVERYONE
Funny that, I've always got alot of my food supplies from the fishers. Though in this case, with the lake only accessible for 5~ish months a year, our new fisher might well be better in the military.

That said, here's a fun super-project idea for crazy later supervisors: making the lake into a snowy hot spring by piping up some magma to near the surface.

Not true! The bat and olm could have been "liberated" from a gobbo camp.
Most likely, I've seen giant bats and olms come as pets before, and their masters weren't vampires. Not quite as awesome as that one migrant wave I had once that came with two giant cave spiders on the same year the elves brought me some tamed giant scorpions.

So we have one vote for the Olm, and one for Melbil as the mascot. :D
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2012, 08:02:38 pm »

Olm. Olm olm olm.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2012, 08:04:35 pm »

The bat. If it succeeds, name a wrestler "Urist Wayne" with the title of "Batdwarf". Make him Sheriff and Hammerer, and have him fight criminals.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Overmind

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken legs? that's no excuse to stop fighting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2012, 09:19:44 pm »

The bat. If it succeeds, name a wrestler "Urist Wayne" with the title of "Batdwarf". Make him Sheriff and Hammerer, and have him fight criminals.
hes the hero lakebones deserves but not the one it needs right now
Urist Mcdwarf cancels Drink,Interupted by !!FUN!!

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2012, 08:55:59 am »

3rd of Sandstone

It seems like Vex's relatives have a thing for fish. After all, they introduced themselves as 'Pufferfish' and 'Fishybang'. Their wives stayed quiet in the background, but their husbands assured me that the two were quiet, but like sisters, and both useful around a farmstead.

>>Pufferfish lives up to his name, being a fishery worker. I pointed out to him that our lake was frozen over right now, and he looked a little despondant, but none the less seemed happy to have a new life.

>>But Fishybang... when I asked him what his profession was, he said 'chopping'. I added 'trees' but he shook his head and said 'heads'. A little bit scary, these military dwarves... but if they protect us, who can complain?

10th of Sandstone

Giant Ravens are pecking around the landfill again. I'm a little surprised that Winter hasn't dashed out to shoot them yet.

In other news, at dinner I laid out the plans for the individual bedrooms, leading to a round of happy cheers:

Its nice to be appreciated. There was some confusion about the four larger rooms connected only by stairs to the upper level. I realised that, without thinking, I had added in these designs to accomodate for those picky nobles at home who determined a rooms value to be less if they could see into a corridor, even if there was a door in the way. The hypocrites never had a problem with stairs though. I guess it goes to show that we're all creatures of tradition. Since I was late in the drafting process, though, I stated to everyone else that these were rooms for travelling dignitaries, which seemed to be generally accepted (no one wanted to stuff a travelling diplomat into a tiny hole in the wall, it was bad manners, even if most dwarves were comfortable with that). I also pointed out there was plenty of room along the corridors to add in additional rooms, which was good.

16th of Sandstone

GOLD!

Bdak had barely heaved his pick downstairs to start excavating the new bedrooms when he exclaimed that he'd hit the sparklies! Everyone rushed to take a quick look (no-one can keep a dwarf from gold, right?). This adds to the Iron, Tin, and Silver we already have. Almost everything a growing dwarf needs!

I was also briefly terrified by a huge bat sweeping round in the corridors, but it turns out the thing is the pet of Pufferfish, and he calls it... Melbil.

When you learn that, somehow it just can't be terrifying any more. Especially when our local hen doesn't even bat an eyelid at it... then again thats not a good comparison, as that hen can even stare-down Winter and win, so whatever.

21st of Sandstone

I caught Laularukyrumo and Overmind snuggling in the dining room earlier. Seems that they've become an item:

Well, we all need whatever comfort we can muster in these up and coming cold months, though part of me is envious (why?).

1st of Timber

Our poor war-dog was suddenly attacked by a swarm of angry birds today, but fought admirably to ward them off...

However, things were looking grim until Winter arrived mid-fight and shot the interloping buzzards repeatedly, and saving the dog.

It was whining from the pain of several minor cuts and injuries, but besides looking more ugly, Bdak says it'll recover just fine.

Whew, quite alot of events all of sudden, eh?

Only if someone has a fell mood and creates a leather armour called "Well of Bats the Justice" or something (the batsuit).
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2012, 09:37:23 am »

Journal Entry 4 : Little Golden Ore

Swing, They told me
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Golden ores you will see
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum

Minecarts filled you'll bring
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Metals that shine like Spring
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
Rum, pa, pum, pum, rum, pa, pum, pum

Brighten up caves so dim
Pa, rum, pa, pum, pum
When I swing

Thun and Sokan bless us; we've found gold! I've not been able to stop singing praises to the Gods. I'm in admiration of these 'exiles', they've flourished. The outcasts of society are truer and proud then the populous allows them. I was able to tug on Aseaheru's ear today. He's skilled in fishing and book keeping. I find those such odd interest, but look at me, a miner and a medical worker. We were able to discuss the current goings-on in the fort and he was well pleased. He muttered a curse at the Gods for the frozen water, as he wished to fish. That brought forth an opening to discuss the Gods. He worshiped Rodem Crab-Earthen, and Tholtig of the Cradled Shadows. Such a collection: Mountains, War, Nature, Wildlife, Weather. I asked if he spends fellowship with Rodem while fishing and he simply shrugged. Another rough gem.

My spirits are high and my pick is still sharp. I continue to pray to the Gods, before I rest, for guidance in spreading Their orders to the fortress.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:41:13 am by Brewster »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2012, 11:47:56 am »

7th of Timber

I had thought that Winter's assault had driven the angry birds off, but they looped around, played a waiting game for a few days, and swooped in to attack once more. Fortunately, Overmind was helping me haul some wood that I'd just chopped and I finally got to see him in action with his spear...

The mere remaining two buzzards were quickly dispatched by his stabs and swings. He ended up with a bruised ankle, but Bdak says he'll be fine in a couple of days.

I wonder what draws the Buzzards to such bloodlust? Perhaps the cold, or is it something more Sinister? Who knows?

9th of Timber

The Bedrooms have been excavated fully and are starting to take shape. I've taken the top-most tiny room for myself, but I don't think anyone will begrudge me that. Overmind is hard at work making more beds, whilst Aussieevil finishes off doors and cabinets for everyone. Fully equipping the rooms might take a little bit of time, but everyone agrees its worth it!

12th of Timber

Well...

I really don't know what to say about today. We suddenly spotted an incoming Caravan with a pair of wagons on their way towards us. Seems that some folk are indeed daft enough to brave the snows of this place to come trade.

But what really puzzled me until they arrived proper was the obvious fact that they were dwarves!

16th of Timber

The Caravan had a slow, lumbering pace through the snow, and I waited patiently at the depot for them to arrive.

The Traders introduced themselves as Kel and Kadol from the Volcanoes of Rising, our sister Mountainhome in the tropical south. Things started to become more clear as he explained hearing about our exile from the Just Fence, and their monarch saw fit to send us a small caravan as a gesture of goodwill, presuming (correctly) that whilst we were originally from there, we no longer precisely represented such a civilization, which was mostly true. Kadol seemed like a nice enough chap, and even suggested that the Volcanoes could send us a bunch of supplies each year to trade, the contents of which we could suggest.

I also apologised profusely to the Trader when a bunch of our dwarves came and just took a whole bunch of cloth from the caravan, apparently without remorse or anything in return. As an apology, I offered them to take a few nice figurines that Vex had made for free. He accepted the offer, but shrugged and said it was normal for these kinds of things to happen. I wondered how this casual thievery was normal...

Nevertheless, I made sure to pick up the singular Steel Anvil the traders had brought along!

I also swapped a bunch of spiked wooden balls Overmind had made in his spare time, some of our spare bars of smelted gold by Salmeuk, some of Laularukyrumo's fine meals and some excess black sand they seemed to be interested in. In return, I made sure to stock up on more seeds, prepared meats and ale for us to last the winter, and copper bolts for Winter to last the winter, haha. Although we were in reasonably good shape beforehand, this extra boon has really helped, and Kel eventually left a few days later looking quite pleased:

Kadol stayed behind for awhile to observe how our little hole in the ground functioned, and to negotiate a trade agreement when we had decided on what was needed.

1st of Moonstone

It's wintertime, so I decided to take stock of what we had in the food stores.

Call me an optimist, but it doesn't look too bad at all. I also asked Aussieevil to show Fishybang and Pufferfish how to chisel and smooth stone. The two of them have only really been helping with carrying things around, and Fishybang especially needs something to call a trade other than 'chopping heads'. Since we're settling in now, smoothing the main hall to make it less rough sounds like a good idea.

15th of Moonstone

Babylon was happy to see that Anvil I traded finally hauled downstairs, allowing her to put together a forge at last. She was eager to get started on making a few bits of jewellry and the like from our gold stocks 'ere she got too rusty, which was fine. I also asked her if she could lend her skills to forging us some weapons from the iron we had. She seemed a little nervous at the idea, and proclaimed that the results wouldn't likely be very good. I said that was fine.

After all, a rubbish, brittle iron axe or two is better than us trying to fight those vicious Cockroach men and angry birds barehanded. Overmind and Winter can't cover us forever, and though I'm little hesitant to give Fishybang an axe, at least he clearly knows what to do with it.

19th of Moonstone

I was surprised today when Pufferfish's young lad Stukos came up to me and asked me to give him a job now that he was twelve. He's a clumsy little bugger, but a tough sort like his pop, and loves strange creatures, but shows no interest in fishing, so I had the brainwave of making Winter to train the lad in the arts of hunting and exploring. It would give him something to do except slave over the Still and hunt giant ravens. He might resent me for this choice, but the man needs something more in his life than wine and violence, right?

25th of Moonstone

I'm pretty surprised at the decent progress of Aussieevil and her pupils. Perhaps she's just a natural teacher, but they took to the chiselling tasks remarkably quickly and efficiently, and the main hall's walls are now as smooth as an Olm's tail. She said they weren't done yet, though, as they still had the floors and ceilings to smooth away.

2nd of Opal

Babylon surprised me today when she dramatically unveiled a rather nice golden statue she had created of the god Rodem Crabearthen, our deity of nature.

Naturally, I had it placed in the main hall right away; as its quite a fine piece. Bdak smiled to see such a depiction, even though it was not directly one of his two chosen gods.

6th of Opal

Kadol finally left today after we shook hands on an export agreement. I said we'd especially appreciate more food supplies, chalk, and few other things which have slipped my mind. It seems that the Volcanoes is undergoing some kind of art and crafts festival late next year, so Kadol informed me that the merchants they sent next year would probably pay highly to take things like that off our hands when they arrived:

Ok guys, I'm on the 15th of Opal and nearing the end of my run now, which I shall probably finish up tommorow morning, so if there are any requests for end of year screencaps and suchlike, make them today!

Also, anyone have ideas about how to do my handover to Winter? I'm currently thinking its part of the Winter rehab project, that is starting with me assigning this kid to hunting and moving on to giving him the overseer responsibility. :D But of course I'm open to other suggestions for how to write it in.

AustralianWinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2012, 12:30:36 pm »

Winter would be quite handy at establishing a guard tower, perhaps a unit of marksdwarves and generally stregnthen the fortress for eventual invaders or further problems, or something to that effect. Harper might make him overseer for a year with this on mind.
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31