Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31

Author Topic: Lakebones: Slaughtering Player-Inserts since 105  (Read 69650 times)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: Lakebones: The Exile [Recruiting 2-4 new overseers!]
« Reply #375 on: January 31, 2013, 10:11:40 pm »

What part are you confused about... it seemed fairly normal to me.

Those pumps on top of the dining room are powered by perpetual motion devices, most everyone has their own room. Cage traps line the entrance (oh, btw, we have at LEAST 4 tame GCS), that pit next to the prisoner storage area is for chucking gobbos into (it has a spear trap at the bottom, rigged to the only lever on that floor)

That dirt area has a few wells in it, filled up via rain. Immediately north of those is the farms.

Keep going WAY down to get to the forges.

Also, we have like 2 major workshop areas, a big storage area that may still be a barracks (and a giant donut).

If you want something produced, just use the manager's menu (I had NO clue where a good 75% of the stuff was made).

Perhaps it is a little confusing...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:17:18 pm by bp920091 »
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2013, 09:10:12 pm »

Laments of Laularu Kyrumo, Ghostly Prophet of Magma

Can't sleep. This place is too weird.

I've more or less gotten used to being a ghost. Turns out, they don't get cold. Pretty useful in a place like this. However, it seems without my helpful guidance, well... this place has gone to the looney bin. We have, on first inspection, a mousetrap made out of a baby, a dwarf in a cage, cave moss everywhere, a giant "WHY" carved into the ground outside the fort, huge 400-foot deep staircase columns, random empty rooms all over the place that I have no idea what they're supposed to be... It looks like they flooded the outside with magma or something, too. I can see signs of obsidian farming.

But the thing that bugs me the most is how SLOW the forges work, due to being so far underground. I'm going to be fixing that, though. Commence Operation: Minecart Shaft. In addition to finally getting around to channeling out the rest of the giant block of dirt hovering over where the wells were built (thanks to a result of the cave-in from before), we're digging a pair of gigantic spirals from the workshop area down to the forges below. Then I'm having tracks carved into the path left behind. I also plan to put in a water reactor to power rollers on the second one, so that no dwarf-power will be required to transport materials (or potentially even dwarves themselves) between the vast distances.

It's too bad you can't build axles out of metal or stone, though. And I'm going to need a LOT of rope...

Oh boy. Ooooooooooh boy. Oh boy.

I just "convinced" the current mayor to assign a bunch of peasants to the military, so that we aren't completely SOL when someone inevitably tries to colonize the caves. Well, I wasn't sure where the barracks were, so I started floating around, when something called out to me. Something strange. Something... arcane. But when I got close, I felt something sinister.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No one can know about this. The temptation would be lethal. I have heard stories of what happens to those who attempt to take the sword. It's just to the north of the magma tube the forges are built around.

Confident that the miners would be able to handle themselves, I set about haunting--er, I mean, renovating the rest of the fort. I ordered up weapon and armor racks for new barracks, ordered the ominous block of stone and ice above the wells to be carefully removed, and all was well and good. Until I went to check on the minecart shaft. Turns out, we stopped digging prematurely because we hit the caverns again. Darn it. I'll need to send some crew down there to build up walls to seal out any nasty eldritch abominations that inevitably will try to fly up into our bedrooms from down there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:55:57 pm by laularukyrumo »
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 02, 2013, 08:17:26 am »

Did you ever succeed in getting above-ground crops growing?  Weren't you the one who tried to cave in the lake or some such idea?

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #378 on: February 02, 2013, 02:08:01 pm »

Ye gads, you found the key to the clown car. Well... if people ever wanted an easy self-destruct button for Lakebones, there it is.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 02, 2013, 07:20:54 pm »

I found TWO keys to the clown car. The edge of the adamantine spire is visible in the magma sea.

And yeah. Above-ground crops was my idea. Someone built wells down there, though, cause I ended up caving in some ice down there and it melted. It'll refreeze when I finish carving out the dirt block, though, and I'll probably channel the ice out too, just to be sure we have arable land.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well hot damn.

I found myself distracted from the rest of the fort while collaborating with Dr Bdak about the best way to dig minecart shafts while going around the caverns. Well, I accidentally unpaused and looked away from the screen phased out of the earthly plane for a few minutes, and when I came around, I got the news that we've had a new mayor elected, and he's already mandated a couple bracelets. Why do we have a new mayor? Because Harper is now a baron. And he wants bins now. Goodie. Because you haven't gotten on my nerves enough in life. I'm gonna be haunting you later tonight, mister.

While haunting the dining hall, I heard that a child by the name of Stukos Storlutshorast has been missing for a week. Oh well. Maybe I'll pay the parents a ghostly visit. Whiny clods.

Harper has forbidden the export of bins. I'm pretty sure we can fulfill this request.

Eshtan has created a legendary quern. One might think it useful for, say, making flour. I'd rather use it for luring trolls and spiders, and other eldritch horrors in the caverns. Perhaps I'll build them a cave-in trap. The cretins come for the dwarves, get distracted by the shiny, and three tons of dirt fall on their heads. Checkmate, bitches!

Obok Othoslikot has been missing for a week. What gives? Dwarves don't just vanish....

Found the problem. The spirit of Thikut Nogathel has been going around and scaring people to death. It's clear this fortress has a ghostly problem. Made evident by my continued existence. Idiotic clods. I'm going to go find an engraver and get some slabs installed.

The water wheels aren't working anymore. Water level's run too low, so there's no power. I'll see what I can do about that.

Elves are here. Not sure if we have anything to trade them, but I'll go through the stocks.

Farming zone is nearly complete, I just need to finish channeling a few missed tiles, set up some walls, and figure out how to get a water source. It's times like these I actually wish we had an aquifer. I don't trust a cistern to properly hold water in an environment that freezes half the year, and I do NOT want to pump water up from the caverns. Oh well... That can be somebody else's problem, I guess.

Freaking elves brought some companions. And by companions I mean goblin ambushers. Bloody hell.

Curses. TWO ambush squads. This is unacceptable. I hurriedly whispered in Harper's ear to take as much food, booze, shields, anything of use from the elves, and unload all the worn-out clothes nobody wanted that we'd managed to take to the depot already. They got away with over 4K in profit. I don't care. It's all garbage to me. They can HAVE it.

Grr. We chased them off, but there were several injuries and a couple casualties. Rotten goblins....

It is now summer. The first of two shafts have been hollowed and tracks engraved. Plans for the second have been drawn up. I will have a myriad lead chains constructed to serve as parts for rollers.... though I'm worried about all the wood the axles will require. It's a shame they cannot be forged from metal.

The pit has been irrigated. All that remains is to pave over the top of the pit to keep out unsightly beasts. (And rain.)

Harper is throwing a tantrum. He's pissed that his noble quarters aren't quite up to snuff. I might see to it that he ends up as the next artifact of choice if he keeps this up.

I am sad to report that the attempt at farming has failed. An accident caused the last row of iced soil to puncture through the soil layer, and the stone below is unsuitable for farming. Unless someone else is willing to figure out how to get proper mud down there. Ugh. At least I have my minecarts...

"Tun Rithosust, Soap Maker cancels Store Item in Bin: Dangerous terrain." My initial thought was, "what the fuck?" So I drifted on over and.....

I would very much like to know why THE FOREST IS ON FUCKING FIRE?!?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:55:55 am by laularukyrumo »
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #380 on: February 03, 2013, 04:21:10 am »

It's on fire because you don't know the extent of your own power as a magma ghost. :D

And oh ye gads.... Baron von Harper, lord of storage. Just decorate his room with masterwork chests and he'll be fine. XD
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 03, 2013, 12:19:41 pm »

The pit has been irrigated. All that remains is to pave over the top of the pit to keep out unsightly beasts. (And rain.)
Is this your above ground farming pit?
If it is I think you have to use glass blocks for the roof to be able to grow above ground crops.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:18:54 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Lakebones: The Revenge of the Magma Ghost
« Reply #382 on: February 03, 2013, 01:28:18 pm »

i keep getting spontaneous fires too...
its not a hot biome, right?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 03, 2013, 03:37:49 pm »

New migrants have arrived, despite the danger. AND THE FIRE. I got pissed off after someone went out to try and retrieve the body instead of putting the fire out, so I took matters into my own hands. Suffice to say, the fire is now very much out. Because fuck that.

It has also come to my attention that we really need a well. Since I found water in the third cavern layer, I'm designating a shaft dug down to reach it. Let's hope the wildlife doesn't mind. I really don't need giant cave swallows in my water supply. Or eldritch abominations. Hmm, perhaps I should stick that quern in with the well...

Bloody Harper's still going on and on about the "lesser dwarves" having better rooms. And he wants his masterwork coffin done now. Blimey, you're lucky I don't have you CREMATED, you insolent whelp! What have YOU ever done for us around here? Huh? I BROUGHT WARMTH TO LAKEBONES!

For a while, I've been worried that we had a dwarf locked in stasis, frozen in time like they tell of in the ancient tales. Well....

Someone decided that this lever MUST BE PULLED ON REPEAT FOREVER. I may have to manipulate a new mayoral election, it's possible my influence has caused some... confusion in the current one.

Bloody hell. Harper finally went completely nutters. God dammit. Well, I hope he likes his tomb! Miserable little bastard. Time to elect a new baron. On a slightly humorous note, the first thing he did when his mind finally snapped was make a beeline for the slab garden.

BLOODY KOBOLDS! One ran into a metaldwarf in the cage hall, and instead of running away like he's supposed to, STABBED HER BABY IN THE FACE! Luckily, I have a countermeasure. Namely, I ordered our friendly neighborhood Grizzly Bear to be trained to kill and devour kobolds. It's lunch time.

i keep getting spontaneous fires too...
its not a hot biome, right?

I don't THINK so... I recall having ice. In fact, I have constructed ice walls to keep the lake from flooding my pit when it thaws. But I just got a notice that a Craftydwarf was found dead.... IN THE MIDDLE OF ANOTHER FIRE. And it's spreading. I think we're going to have to forbid the outside for a while here....

Good thing, too. Humans came, and I had exactly enough time to order goods to the trade depot before the goblins arrived... in serious numbers. I count about three and a half pages worth of invaders and mounts, including cave crocodiles, elites and masters, giant cave swallows, and even a blizzard man. Yeah. Fuck this. I'm shutting the gates. Now here's hoping the lever is labeled properly.....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 04:03:42 pm by laularukyrumo »

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 03, 2013, 03:45:02 pm »

If it is I think you have to use glass blocks for the roof to be able to grow above ground crops.
That's not the case.  You can completely roof over the plots with wood or stone and the game still thinks they're "above ground".

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 03, 2013, 04:00:43 pm »

What are the squad names?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 03, 2013, 04:14:30 pm »

That's not the case.  You can completely roof over the plots with wood or stone and the game still thinks they're "above ground".
I thought it needed to be "Above Ground Light" not just "Above Ground" to grow above ground crops.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 03, 2013, 04:51:06 pm »

I thought it needed to be "Above Ground Light" not just "Above Ground" to grow above ground crops.

Nope, only needs to be above ground.
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #388 on: February 03, 2013, 06:54:58 pm »

You made Harper go insane?!? Was it really so hard to get him his chests!? ::)

He was the master broker and a fast architect even if he was a lazy sod. Ah well... guess he was a paranoid/obsessive with storage items towards the end of his life; but considering his exile to this freezerpack with a bunch of nutters; and most of his friends dying, gotta give the guy some slack for hanging on so long.

(Salutes)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 03, 2013, 07:05:48 pm »

Nooo! I liked Harper.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31