Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386277 times)

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Sieges, Undead AND Vampires (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:39 pm »

Oh man this is great stuff; we've really got to find more ways to weaponise the only thing the fort has in abundance: magma.

We also have a necromancer that could provide us with some pretty good target dummies

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Rising from the ashes (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2013, 04:25:39 am »

You've removed me wrongly

Sorry, bad memory.  :P
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Nep-Nep Fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
Re: Moltenchannels - Sieges, Undead AND Vampires (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2013, 04:32:27 am »

here it is, enjoy

Ok, I've grabbed it, and it seems to work fine.

Good lord... I see what you mean... nearly 90 gobbos surround the fort and I have 12 fighting dwarves. Yikes.

Chances are I shall start tommorow, as I have 9 hours :'( of work today.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"
Community Fort "Lakebones"
My Games & Anime Blog, Detarame

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - It's just a few hundred enemies (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2013, 05:59:24 am »

Err, I don't think replacing the raws is a good idea. I'm going to upload a save with the raws from a previous one.

Edit: Save.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:07:28 am by Wastedlabor »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2013, 08:26:05 am »

Some background on our caged necromancer.

Aban Lashedlulls was one of the first of her kind, worshipper of Sined the Hideous Mucus, a female dwarf associated with deformity.

On year 1, she became queen of The Seal of Hides. On year 2 she escaped an attack by the dusk crone Egngun Tunnelumbra the Dust of Burials (a large one eyed humanoid with two narrow tails that loped quickly along the ground; her eye glowed spring green and her clear skin was waxy). The year 18 she was taught the secrets of life and death by the dwarf necromancer Zulban Staffgrowled in Breachmansion. That same year she became a master of the dwarf necromancer Vabôk Boltjoins. She went on to write many books for Breachmansion, including "Start Your Day With Dying, My Love", "Victory by Goose Leather", "Could It Be Pine?", "Traditional Storage", "Can Aban Lashedlulls Save The World?" and "The World Without The Dwarves And Other Travesties".

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2013, 09:46:21 am »

In our artifacts list, it says we own one of the necro books. Too bad we cant use it

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The cursed bookkeepers (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2013, 12:41:10 pm »

:o TIL necromancers can bring books to forts.

I like how our unbreachable magma moat has, in fact, four breaches. Who's the dwarf that thought piercing four ponds was a good idea? This is why we need dikes. Dikes > Moats.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2013, 05:19:51 pm »

Gah, we have less than 20 prepared meals and only one kitchen? Madness!

Anyway, for tonight I just looked around and set a few plans into motion. Will provide screencaps tommorow.

Can't see an easy way to put an effective waterfall/mist generator into place. Considered the murky pool to the north-east of the fort as the source but such an endevour will require alot of pumping and quite a long winded setup... and placing it in an effective area is also going to be tricky if I try it... the only place I can see would be the central shaft stairs since our dining halls are so far removed.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script!?"

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2013, 06:22:23 pm »

Anyway, for tonight I just looked around and set a few plans into motion. Will provide screencaps tommorow.

Can't see an easy way to put an effective waterfall/mist generator into place. Considered the murky pool to the north-east of the fort as the source but such an endevour will require alot of pumping and quite a long winded setup... and placing it in an effective area is also going to be tricky if I try it... the only place I can see would be the central shaft stairs since our dining halls are so far removed.

And how do you plan on getting rid of the goblins? Theres a bunch of crossbow users on the surface, I doubt they'll let you do much

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2013, 07:20:28 pm »

:o TIL necromancers can bring books to forts.

I like how our unbreachable magma moat has, in fact, four breaches. Who's the dwarf that thought piercing four ponds was a good idea? This is why we need dikes. Dikes > Moats.
Uh, on the bright side, we've got a renewable supply of obsidian now!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2013, 09:37:12 pm »

I'd recommend using minecarts. We can carve fortifications into the walls, and then build/carve minecart paths right next to them. We have magma, and if we have sand, which I'm fairly sure we do, we can churn out lots and lots of green glass disks and quite safely launch them at the goblins without ever going outside.

I'd even recommend setting up a system to shower the countryside with weaponry at the start of each season, just as a "safety" precaution. The traders will be safely inside, so what could possibly go wrong?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:05:33 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2013, 03:44:38 am »

And how do you plan on getting rid of the goblins? Theres a bunch of crossbow users on the surface, I doubt they'll let you do much
The Murky Pool within our walls. Pond, whatever. I have no idea if its linked to obsidian generation but I have no idea what levers do what anyway. I really wish you could label switches. I see they have waypoints, silly of me not to check that before. Ok, cool.

Also, the water source issue is solved! Some fortunate exploratory mining from the central stairs discovered that we somehow managed to miss the first cavern layer by a couple of inches and our current hall is in the second cavern layer!!

Anyway, theres a freakin' gigantic lake there that I've used as the source.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 05:51:19 am by eharper256 »

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #132 on: February 01, 2013, 06:20:41 am »

Diary of Sauvage, The Tooth Collector

I'm not a learned dwarf. I kill things and keep their teeth to remind me that I'm responsible for their souls. I uphold the law and discipline of a proper military dwarf. So this diary thing that overseers are supposed to keep is going to be terse and to the point. I'm not gonna give you precise dates cause I don't do dates. Go cry me an underground river if you care.

It seems the Goblins are camped outside convinced that they can starve us out. I guess they did us a favour clearing away the undead; and if it makes them feel better to think they have us pinned down, then let them stay. Honestly, nothing is going to come over those walls; though I have to say I was shown the plans for the lava moat and I immediately spotted some issues with it.

I don't know what our previous overseers were doing. This fort is deep and complicated, but often neglects simple tasks and lacks any sort of military discipline. For example, I saw there was no kitchen rota and barely any meals. No dwarf likes to eat raw plump helmet so I told the cooks to get their act together.

Something that still astonishes me to this day is how our fort courtyard is in such disarray. If we lack even the grounds to march dwarves back and forth, how can we ever expect to truly defend ourselves!? We can't always rely on heroes like Urist McAwesome to carry the day and train 'gladiators'; and such a belief is childish at best.

So I woke up our lazy architects and got them to their tables. I told them to plan the courtyard and get it paved within the year. They looked astonished that I was actually ordering them around, but I think my build and my hundreds of teeth hung on my necklace dissuaded them from resisting. The cooks were the same.

Fortunately, throwing my weight around seems to work, and soon some decent plans were produced:

After I finished my extensive tour of the fort, I spoke to our miners. I swore I heard dripping and hollow echoes about halfway down our central stairs, so I got our miners to work. In the meantime, I found it disgraceful that we still had unburied dwarves who had lost their lives in combat. Seriously; its a disgrace to Armok's Hammer. How are they supposed to find their way to the afterlife!?

So I also ordered an excavation of a masoleum to have rows of coffins placed. We have hundreds of unused coffins in storage, so I really wonder what was going through the head of my predecessors.

A couple days later; my thoughts were proved correct as the miners broke through into an entirely different cavern.

With the massive lake in this place; I was struck by an idea. My prior home had an interesting feat of engineering that drew a waterfall into their main hall. It was loved by dwarves everywhere, so I discussed channelling the water from the eerie blue expanse down to the centre of our hall with our engineers. They seemed to think it was actually very promising.

The fortress has its fair share of babbling, semi-coherent dwarves suffering from post-traumatic stress, and when another one was reported, I barely gave it a notice until the next day when it was followed up that this babbling dwarf had snatched away the Magma Forge from another dwarf.

One of those. Perhaps he'll make something worthwhile.

Some days later, the tunneling project to allow the lakewater to flow into the hall was finally finished, and I give credit to our engineers for putting it together so swiftly. One insane miner stayed behind and got walled in the passage. He said he lived for the extreme and wanted to ride the water into the hall. I let him carry on. Amazingly, he survived, though ended up as purple as a plump helmet from bruises. Crazy man. In any case, the mist in the hall ought to soothe our angrier society members.

Shortly after the waterfalls completion that babbling dwarf finished his project; a shining copper door:

I had it installed with our artifact grate into the main hall.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:22:33 am by eharper256 »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 01, 2013, 11:36:47 pm »

As artifacts go, a door isn't a bad one...

I'd like to request a dorfing when convenient...Urist McKiwi, and some sort of soldier when there actually *are* soldiers in the fort. Marksdwarf or hammerdwarf for preference. Either gender's good, horrific death even better.

This fort is already looking to be as fun as original Ardentdikes to read.... if I wasn't just picking up DF2012 after a year away from the game, I'd have a go at a turn myself.

eharper256

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Detarame
« Reply #134 on: February 02, 2013, 02:09:20 pm »

Sorry, no updates today, I spent my only hour of spare time playing Widenyo. Once the weekend is over though I should be work-free for a few days.

I'll dwarf you when I get back to DF, McKiwi.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 100