Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386270 times)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - We collect diplomats and necromancers (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #285 on: March 06, 2013, 04:23:02 pm »

I do appear to be doublebooked for overseeing at the moment (this fort and CheeseFurnace). If you do not mind waiting for a few days (sunday at the least) for me to start, i can keep my position. Otherwise, could you shunt me one position back?

I did get the call for cheesefurnace first, but i was not able to download the save... that has since been rectified.

On the bright side, ardentdikes should be in good shape for the next overseer (from what i could tell).
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2013, 06:43:38 pm »

Let's switch the turns if CaptainArchmage says a good chunk of the turn will be done by Sunday.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 06, 2013, 06:49:42 pm »

I'll see what I can do. FPS is running low for me so it may be better to get this done sooner. I estimate it would take 4 hours of continuous playtime to get through the year, based on the estimate of 1 hour for a full year at 100 FPS (I don't have the actual reference in front of me right now).
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 06, 2013, 07:05:24 pm »

I just now noticed how awkward that second to last picture looks on the save. I'm thinking we might need to correct that, though I'm not sure how without causing a mess of destroyed engravings.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 06, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »

Magma is My Life by The Archwiseard
Log entry for Granite 1st of the year 1089

As I was hauling a bin of ammo off to the craftsdwarf shop, the overseer, Urist McDonald walked by and dropped a bunch of books, scrolls, and maps into the crate and told me that, given the state of emergency engulfing Metropolis Stesokcatten Orabkiddirimush, known as "Moltenchannels the Leaky Ardent Dike" in the common tongue, I had been chosen as overseer owing to my great wisdom and experience.

The metropolis has been sealed off from the outside world, and the only way in is across a moat of lava directed from the nearby volcano. I have carried out a preliminary assessment of the state of our fortress from the top down.

The Surroundings

This is the area surrounding the fortress of Ardentdykes. It has been blessed by ancient spirits, and grows a good deal of bubble grass. However, it is currently overrun by a siege of undead. Located in the north-east of the location is a combination tower, greenhouse, and tavern run by Urist McDonald, the former overseer and "restauranter". The tower is not accessible from the outside so it is safe unless it collapses from underneath.

The Island

Surrounded by a lava moat and volcano, this contains the main metropolis of Moltenchannels. There is a good deal of outside area, and the fortress is better fortified than most fortresses in existence, though it does not surpass the fortresses of Headshoots or Ardentdykes in terms of scale at this time.

We have a very serious health and safety issue in the courtyard: We have a large population of caged creatures and prisoners, too many of which are unicorns. We need to deal with this.

There are some insane living arrangements in the north-western tower, with the entire floor of the tower covered in beds.

The north eastern tower is some kind of hospital, but the floor is covered in blood and grime and the well sources stagnant water, which is not good for the patients.

The South-eastern tower contains a combination dining hall and zoo. No comment.

The South-western tower contains the barracks for the Fortress Guard.

Some of the towers contain gold furniture and have gold floor-hatches, and I want to change that if possible in case of large-scale magma flooding.

There is a half-finished keep to the south and a keep to the west. Some of those could use expansion.

The main courtyard contains farming and a minecart track to nowhere. No, really, the minecart track goes to nowhere except the volcano and a sand pit blocked off by a stone wall. There's an emergency brake pad so the minecart isn't going into the volcano, though it might dump into the volcano.

There are no fewer than two pumpstacks onto the surface. One of them appears to be a magma discharge device for triggering a fire on the island, or alternatively flooding the courtyard with magma. The magma device should probably do both jobs selectively when finished.

There is a windmill for providing energy, but that will not provide anywhere near enough power to run the pumpstack. Some additional power generating devices are needed here urgently.

Edit: This is going at 15-20 FPS for me. What are other people getting with it? I think I can make this go but I'm installing a new power system, which could complicate things.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 08:21:52 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 06, 2013, 08:28:45 pm »

I get 25-30 FPS with the siege active.

The main courtyard contains farming and a minecart track to nowhere. No, really, the minecart track goes to nowhere except the volcano and a sand pit blocked off by a stone wall. There's an emergency brake pad so the minecart isn't going into the volcano, though it might dump into the volcano.

The minecart track to nowhere is Triaxx's ingenious way of dealing with the problem of reanimated corpses -- it dumps corpses into the volcano. The sand pit is a corpse stockpile, and I put a wall around it so that we can lock the corpses in if need be.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 06, 2013, 08:51:19 pm »

I get 25-30 FPS with the siege active.

The minecart track to nowhere is Triaxx's ingenious way of dealing with the problem of reanimated corpses -- it dumps corpses into the volcano. The sand pit is a corpse stockpile, and I put a wall around it so that we can lock the corpses in if need be.

That's OK. I'm getting around the same although I'm on a laptop. This is really where some optimizations or "just skip this shit" in the program would be really helptul

I don't really have much to report besides that the new reactor construction is proceeding as planned. It will generate 700 units of power which will power the dihydrogen monoxide pumpstack. Safety features may not be present on the initial construction.

I'm on 21st Granite. I think it may be about 7 hours per year realtime now or more.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 06, 2013, 08:56:01 pm »

I'm pleased to see that the essential room functions of the towers have remained consistent these long years. The Mega-Bedroom is the most efficient dwarven living arrangement: dozens of dwarves can all share the same handful of cabinets and everyone is happy. I spit upon the names of all those overseers that forsook the towers and carved rooms underground.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 06, 2013, 09:17:04 pm »

Reactor finished. Activation delayed due to dwarves engraving an image of dwarves on a wall instead of engraving a fortification to let water through.

I'm going to do a test but I will savescum if something really bad happens to framerate. It will not be possible to shut down the connection between the reactor and the rest of the power-using equipment.

An incident with cavern wildlife getting into the bedrooms was sorted out by the conscripts. I put a gold hatch cover over the entrance in the first cavern layer. There are a LOT of staircases to nowhere at all around here. Not just staircases going into walled of sections of the fortress, but random flights of stairs going up into open space in the caverns and even on the surface, outside of the fortress.

It is now 5th Slate, mid-spring. It felt like an eternity but the reactor took a comparatively short time to build.

Edit: There seems to be a design thing with this. The surface designs for these infiniflow reactors worked fine, maybe they need fewer wheels. I have done this before (in 0.31.18) but it was on the surface. No aquifer, the entire structure of the reactor including the water reservoir was aboveground. The reason I am using this design is to prevent the kind of flow calculation slowdowns that happen with normal water reactors*.

*I notice we have a dining hall waterfall. Technically the drain from this could be routed through the reactor module and then things may go better.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 09:53:31 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 07, 2013, 03:48:10 am »

Which reactor is it? I know that the big one under the northern section can be disconnected from the water raising mechanism by pulling one of the levers in the control room just to the left of the trade depot. Everything there is labeled with (N)otes. It's the lower pump power control. This disconnects the reactor from the small starter reactor to the south, and if the power is connected correctly it will also bring the pump stack system to a halt, because the gear being disconnected is located above the point the the stack will connect into the reactor power chain.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 07, 2013, 09:57:59 am »

Which reactor is it? I know that the big one under the northern section can be disconnected from the water raising mechanism by pulling one of the levers in the control room just to the left of the trade depot. Everything there is labeled with (N)otes. It's the lower pump power control. This disconnects the reactor from the small starter reactor to the south, and if the power is connected correctly it will also bring the pump stack system to a halt, because the gear being disconnected is located above the point the the stack will connect into the reactor power chain.

Its a completely new reactor in the second cavern layer. I looked at the old reactor, but I realised it would require a large quantity of water to fill.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 07, 2013, 12:56:20 pm »

Edit: There seems to be a design thing with this. The surface designs for these infiniflow reactors worked fine, maybe they need fewer wheels. I have done this before (in 0.31.18) but it was on the surface. No aquifer, the entire structure of the reactor including the water reservoir was aboveground. The reason I am using this design is to prevent the kind of flow calculation slowdowns that happen with normal water reactors*.

*I notice we have a dining hall waterfall. Technically the drain from this could be routed through the reactor module and then things may go better.

He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 07, 2013, 04:01:42 pm »

I've done some experimentation, and it looks like what's needed is a drain point. I can just have the reactor drain back out to the lake, and I get 700 units of power. That's about to run all the machinery and weapons at max settings, I think. This was just physics experimentation mind you. I think I may have a way to create the infiniflow reactor now.

We don't have enough wood to build the windmills, and we would need a lot. The 700 unit reactor fits into an 11x5x2 area and uses 21 units of wood. The only trouble is that the water level in the underground lakes is not particularly high. Also, the watr pumpstack needs proper sealing before use else the water will go everywhere.

I can designate a power distribution system so we can get power to where it is needed.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:05:34 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 07, 2013, 06:54:16 pm »

The lift stack is designed to flood. The only place it all drains is, into the two offshoots at the bottom. The inflow is plugged by the two engines down there, so it'll only flow out if the two flood gates down there are opened.

I only actually planned for two windmills, to power the magma flooding mechanism, located under the constructed floor over the lower right hand corner of the volcano.

There should be enough wood if we strip the southern area for wood, but that requires defeating the zombies.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 07, 2013, 07:08:31 pm »

The lift stack is designed to flood. The only place it all drains is, into the two offshoots at the bottom. The inflow is plugged by the two engines down there, so it'll only flow out if the two flood gates down there are opened.

I only actually planned for two windmills, to power the magma flooding mechanism, located under the constructed floor over the lower right hand corner of the volcano.

There should be enough wood if we strip the southern area for wood, but that requires defeating the zombies.

By flood, I meant some water would end up flooding the access stairwell and end up flowing the wrong way. It would also end up flooding the depot access, which is OK but I'd much prefer some control over the process. Doors are being installed.

The trouble with the underground cavern lakes is they are not refilling properly, or at all. I will need to see how this will impact the design. Are there no aquifers on the map?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 100