Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386185 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - We collect diplomats and necromancers (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #315 on: March 09, 2013, 10:49:14 am »

We also have Isa, a towering skinless eight-legged kangaroo with a bloated body and a poisonous bite, in the first cavern layer lake not far from the where dwarves are cutting down trees. Peaking into the third cavern layer reveals a pool of ichor from a forgotten beast named En, and some reptile men. The fortress guard is now being moved to rain crossbow bolts upon the undead. I am able to continue overground plumbing construction without undead interruptions, however.

The device is intended to empty into the castle grounds, right? Because that's where its going right now.

22nd Slate, 1089: Some of the soldiers stationed in the northeastern tower were starving, so I relieved the squad of duty. I have also ordered the construction of a new lever room for the water pumpstack further underground. We should really have all our levers in an accessible place.

2nd Felsite, 1089: The new lever room for the reactors is finished and the levers will be installed. A power distribution network column has been dug, and the gears and levers are being installed.

I have designated a new entrance on the western side of the fortress, which will be trapped. That way we can be rid of the undead sieging us.

We have a surplus of gold bars and a deficit of stone blocks, so more masons are clearly needed.

6th Felsite, 1089: The Forgotten Beast Oströt Strabo Ebrå has come! An enormous blob composed of vomit. It has a broad shell and it undulates rhytmically. Beware its poisonous vapors!

(Scribbled down in the margin) For this cycle to be complete, we only need an ass-monster.

12th Felsite, 1089: An ambush! Curse them!

The goblins have sent an ambush, but ran into the zombies. As these goblins are armed with ranged weapons, I believe we should withdraw our forces within the fortress walls in case there are more of them out there.

~Alright, it looks like the low FPS is going to slow things down here for a while, at least until the new entrance is complete.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:58:55 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 09, 2013, 09:48:00 pm »

Journal Entry, 12th Felsite, 1089

It looks like we have an issue with the refuse stockpile serving the minecart which dumps into the volcano. I've noticed that animal bones are turning up in it, when they should instead be sent to the craftdwarf shops underground. This stockpile is only supposed to take non-processable remains and junk intended for incineration.

This oversight is to be corrected at once. The contents will be sent back to the stockpile and turned into bolts as intended.

My suggestion is to define stockpile to only take from links, and there will be no links. A dumping zone will be designated over the area and activated when items are to be sent to the volcano (such as worn clothing).

Reactor Alpha has a direct connection with the water pumpstack at the moment, and I want to be able to disengage it. Normally I would have linked the pumpstack to the centrally-distributed power network, but this layout is still suitable.

One of the control rooms in the soil layer is a mess of strangely labeled levers, without any corresponding notes written on the map describing which object they operate. I notice two yellow levers, one marked "PT Magma Power" and the other "PT Drain". There are actually many of these levers with strange acronyms, but the ones most understandable are "Flood Outer Door" and "Flood Inner Door", which clearly open a door to a lever named "PT Water Drains", which is not connected up to anything but probably was intended to be connected to the two green glass floodgates underground. I am going to use "PT Drain" for powering the water pump. The lever behind the two locking doors would be better used to fire the magma flooding devices, but one single lever is insufficient for all the intended uses (i.e. firing patterns).

I now understand the staircase I designated as a maintenance staircase was originally intended as a drain. However, this particular design was quite leaky and I will instead designate another drainage point.

We're having an annoying invasion of naked mole dogs, and the conscripts are running around the fortress to get rid of them.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 09, 2013, 09:55:35 pm »

I did set up the channel crossings north of the main entrance with traps if you'd like to open those as well. I meant to seal them with flood gates that could be set to repeat to give them a path on and then turn it off. It's got discs to either side and hammers in the middle.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 09, 2013, 10:00:56 pm »

I did set up the channel crossings north of the main entrance with traps if you'd like to open those as well. I meant to seal them with flood gates that could be set to repeat to give them a path on and then turn it off. It's got discs to either side and hammers in the middle.

We'll need proper entrances, by which I mean over three tiles wide. Preferably this should include a 7-tile-wide path to the depot but we can wait until the siege is over for that. There are battles surrounding the fortress between goblin invaders and the undead, which will add to the numbers of the undead unless the necromancers gtfo or are caged or otherwise removed. I see we have massive numbers of green glass corkscrews, likely for the magma weapons, and I'll designate a weapon stockpile on the surface to take from the existing piles in storage. That way we can quickly build rows of 10x corkscrew and serrated disc traps.

I'm labelling the equipment that I am aware of being connected up to a lever.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:03:40 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 10, 2013, 05:12:04 am »

How are those mole dogs getting in the fortress?  ???

A trapped entrance won't be useable for traders. Just make it sealable so the cages can be harvested, and pit a pet in it to lure the baddies while keeping the inside access closed.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 10, 2013, 10:22:16 am »

How are those mole dogs getting in the fortress?  ???

A trapped entrance won't be useable for traders. Just make it sealable so the cages can be harvested, and pit a pet in it to lure the baddies while keeping the inside access closed.

There's the open entrance in the first cavern layer. It was open since my turn started, the entrance goes straight into the main stairwell. I fortified the cavern somewhat but I think I need to wall the area off completely.

The mole dogs are getting in despite the wood-cutting going on right outside the entrance.

The trapped entrance is a second entrance on the opposite side of the fortress from the main entrance.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 10, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »

I walled off the caravan exit from the rest of the cavern, but I might have missed something. It's been known to happen.

The secondary entrances are ones over the magma moat. If you look around, you'll see spots where it intersected murky pools, and then turned to Obsidian. The bridges formed there are how the dogs are getting in. I thought I'd dealt with all of them. That's what I trapped.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 10, 2013, 06:32:13 pm »

I walled off the caravan exit from the rest of the cavern, but I might have missed something. It's been known to happen.

The secondary entrances are ones over the magma moat. If you look around, you'll see spots where it intersected murky pools, and then turned to Obsidian. The bridges formed there are how the dogs are getting in. I thought I'd dealt with all of them. That's what I trapped.

Naked mole dogs get in from the caverns, not from the surface. As the surface was crawling with zombies, if there had been entrances over those bridges, we'd have a serious problem.

Further reports:

13th Felsite, 1089: Two more goblin ambushes arrived, lead by humans, one to the east and the other to the west. The eastern ambush was wiped out by the undead, but they brought crossbows and were able to reduce the undead in number, considerably. Two of the necromancers on the battlefield decided to bug out at this point.

18th Felsite, 1089: The remaining necromancer left. The battle between the undead and goblins reduced the ambush to three members, and the fortress guard cleaned them up. The surviving undead are few in number, and we should be able to clear them out now. I'm still going ahead with the trapped western entrance, as it could come in useful sometime.

The drain point for Dihydrogen Monoxide Reactor Alpha is now connected to power, but I want to first disconnect the water pumpstack (designated Pumpstack W-1), which is powered directly from the reactor pump.

The Archwiseard's Scientific Overview

Dihydrogen monoxide reactors are an experimental power source that utilise water flow generated by unconventional means. The mechanism for power generation seems to use undiscovered laws of physics, by using a pump to generate flow in water, and extracting a larger amount of energy from the flow than the pump uses. The source of this extra energy is unknown. Reactor Alpha is an experimental "direct zero-point energy dihydrogen monoxide reactor" (DZPEDMR) that only uses a pump to initiate flow in the water, which travels to a drain. Once the level of water is stabilised, the drain is closed off, but a strange force maintains flow in the water, powering the reactor directly without the need to convert the extracted energy into gravitational potential energy before extraction.

A theory put forth by scientists on the Ardentdikes Project is that the water acts as a neutron moderator, initiating atomic fission of radioactive elements in the underlying rock. This atomic fission thus generates the energy powering the reactor and explains the mysterious source of energy. The House Committee on Un-Dwarven Activities (HUDAC) has proposed that this method of generating atomic fission be weaponised for the defence of dwarfkind against sapient scum such as the elves and goblins, but indicates that the existence of such a weapon be maintained as a secret from the elves as they remain an important, if undesirable trading partners.

Edit: Apologies for the slow progress. I've been doing some research for a grand project, which I shalt be incorporating into my turn for the glory of Moltenchannels the Leaky Ardent Dike.

Edit2: I'm designating stuff to be made. Mass order of mechanisms incoming. Major underground deforestation incoming.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:31:04 pm by CaptainArchmage »

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 10, 2013, 07:17:35 pm »

just a heads up, i am ready to take ardentdikes as soon as CaptainArchmage finishes his turn (seems like he's doing a good job at writing it, and since i have a working copy, all i need is the same).
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 11, 2013, 10:22:22 am »

The Archwiseard's Scientific Overview

Dihydrogen monoxide reactors are an experimental power source that utilise water flow generated by unconventional means. The mechanism for power generation seems to use undiscovered laws of physics, by using a pump to generate flow in water, and extracting a larger amount of energy from the flow than the pump uses. The source of this extra energy is unknown. Reactor Alpha is an experimental "direct zero-point energy dihydrogen monoxide reactor" (DZPEDMR) that only uses a pump to initiate flow in the water, which travels to a drain. Once the level of water is stabilised, the drain is closed off, but a strange force maintains flow in the water, powering the reactor directly without the need to convert the extracted energy into gravitational potential energy before extraction.

A theory put forth by scientists on the Ardentdikes Project is that the water acts as a neutron moderator, initiating atomic fission of radioactive elements in the underlying rock. This atomic fission thus generates the energy powering the reactor and explains the mysterious source of energy. The House Committee on Un-Dwarven Activities (HUDAC) has proposed that this method of generating atomic fission be weaponised for the defence of dwarfkind against sapient scum such as the elves and goblins, but indicates that the existence of such a weapon be maintained as a secret from the elves as they remain an important, if undesirable trading partners.

Edit: Apologies for the slow progress. I've been doing some research for a grand project, which I shalt be incorporating into my turn for the glory of Moltenchannels the Leaky Ardent Dike.

Edit2: I'm designating stuff to be made. Mass order of mechanisms incoming. Major underground deforestation incoming.

Oh boy, perpetual motion reactor science. That made me happy :D Have you ever dabbled with Eve Online? Their perpetual motion ideas were fun...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 11, 2013, 10:34:21 am »

Have you ever dabbled with Eve Online? Their perpetual motion ideas were fun...

Ugh. I still don't understand how Eve got so popular and Allegiance is almost forgotten.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 11, 2013, 10:47:56 am »

Have you ever dabbled with Eve Online? Their perpetual motion ideas were fun...

Ugh. I still don't understand how Eve got so popular and Allegiance is almost forgotten.

Huh, never heard of Allegiance. Had to google that one.
My guess? Incredible developer involvement, and even more complex mechanics.
Myself and Eve have a very complicated relationship. Very on and off. Been tempted to give 'er another try one of these days...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 11, 2013, 12:03:34 pm »

Myself and Eve have a very complicated relationship. Very on and off. Been tempted to give 'er another try one of these days...

Heh, imagine trying to command a battle in Eve in which all your ships are piloted by players doing whatever --that's Alleg.

80% of the game is teamplay and stealth tactics, all player-skill based, nothing you could grind. I really had to use my brain every second of it (here's some nsfw audio gameplay). I'm retired ever since I moved to Linux, I wish someone made a modern version of that game.  :-\

(Sorry for the off-topic interlude, just killing time.)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 11, 2013, 12:24:08 pm »

Heh, imagine trying to command a battle in Eve in which all your ships are piloted by players doing whatever --that's Alleg.

80% of the game is teamplay and stealth tactics, all player-skill based, nothing you could grind. I really had to use my brain every second of it (here's some nsfw audio gameplay). I'm retired ever since I moved to Linux, I wish someone made a modern version of that game.  :-\

(Sorry for the off-topic interlude, just killing time.)

I'll partake in OT if nobody minds :) This sounds like Eve. All ships are player-commanded, the skills are only marginally important, but the economy is a huge part of the game. Yeah, sounds like what you're describing!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 11, 2013, 08:05:38 pm »

Sorry for the wait. I took the free time from the last day or two to make some designs on paper for what I want to do.

The Archwiseard's log, 19th Felsite 1089

I've designated a portion of my secret project, but firstly the miners are going to cut out DZPEDMR Reactor Beta in column of rock containing first cavern layer entrance.

The goblin invaders have finally been cleared out from the outside. I'm going to set up some proper alerts and open the western gate so the clean up can begin.

22nd Felsite, 1089

Another ambush! This time skulking vermin ran into the undead and were detected. This is going to complicate the reclamation of the outside.

23rd Felsite

After a massive battle with a dwarven corpse, the kobolds are down to one in number. The only surviving undead is an elf corpse that has been burning in the moat since I took office.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:40:57 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 100