Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386451 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Go Go Power Necros! (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #435 on: April 06, 2013, 08:12:05 am »

That'd be Cutey and Udib, actually.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: April 09, 2013, 02:49:31 am »

Two weeks have passed since the start of the turn. ::)

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: April 09, 2013, 07:35:25 am »

26th Sanstone,

More archery practice, but a marksdwarf gets hit by a chunk of basalt in the heart, killimg him nearly instantly.

Strangely, he seems to have vanished the second the basalt hit him (Seriously, i have no idea where he went)

Two of those goblin corpses outside have caught on fire from the blaze that started earlier, and arent going out...

8th Timber:

Another ghost that has popped up has been memorialized today.

15th Timber:

another dwarf has given birth to a girl.

24th Moonstone:

More ghosts have been memorialized, and the only thing of consequence is that we had 2 rhinos popping up on the edge of the map.

It's strange, they are easily within eyesight of them, but are not attacked...

22nd Opal:

A miner (Non-Legendary) that went insane has finally starved to death. Due to the addtional coffins, this poses no problem, as he is quickly entombed.

14th Obsidian:

A peasant has been posessed, and claims a craftsfdwarf's shop and grabs a bunch of alunite, some bones, logs, a cut gem, some leather, and some black bronze bars.

22nd Obsidian:

That peasant finishes the construction, an alunite septer, and the only thing on it is a picture of an unnamed dwarf (noone knows who this dwarf is).

27th Obsidian:

Another baby boy is born

1st Granite:

The year comes to an end, the siege is still outside, although down to about 16 zombies (from 90). No necromancers on the field, and everyone's happy and has a room. Fresh clothes have been made, 30 sets of them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Really sorry about the delays, but i have had a few REALLY hectic past few days...

SAVE
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: April 09, 2013, 10:19:02 am »

Thanks! Maybe the missing dwarf was shot down by a magma crab and fell into magma? ???

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: April 09, 2013, 04:22:50 pm »

More archery practice, but a marksdwarf gets hit by a chunk of basalt in the heart, killimg him nearly instantly.

Strangely, he seems to have vanished the second the basalt hit him (Seriously, i have no idea where he went)

Urist McKiwi II cancels Load Catapult: Hiding Body.

22nd Obsidian:

That peasant finishes the construction, an alunite septer, and the only thing on it is a picture of an unnamed dwarf (noone knows who this dwarf is).

McDuck!

Also: Since it's getting close to my turn, a heads-up that I'm going to be away from internet for a few days later this week while I'm off doing field work, in case my turn comes up. I'll definitely be back for next week, so wait for me. :P

(Since this fort seems to run pretty slowly, I'm not anticipating that my turn's gonna come up before I'm back, but just in case...)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:24:21 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: April 10, 2013, 02:46:09 am »

The next overseer hasn't been active in near a month, so don't count on it.

If CognitiveDissonance or Triaxx2 can 100% assure they can finish turn before monday, and unless Psuedonym comes back from the realm of the dead, we could move them ahead.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:50:34 am by Wastedlabor »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: April 10, 2013, 04:35:03 am »

Well,doing the maths...... I'm going to get back one day after the limit for me picking up the save, assuming we allow two 3 day windows in a row. So letting someone else go first is fine by me..... Alternatively I can DL the save, do a "what's going on, with pictures" post (we could do with some nice pictures to show off the fort), then come back to it once I'm back from bussing around the island counting birds and stuff(I may have to rush it a little to fit it in the timeslot for finishing my turn, but eh) . This is a lousy time to have field work, but it's worth quite a lot of marks for my course.

....I knew cutting my finger on my beard was a bad omen. I don't even know how I managed that....

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: April 10, 2013, 05:06:46 am »

Take the save right away and see how fast it plays for you, if it feels ok then go ahead and start the turn.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: April 10, 2013, 05:39:05 am »

Ok, I've downloaded it and I'm having a look. A few things I can see immediately:

-We seem to have the whole fort open to the caverns. I'm not sure why this would be considered a good idea, so I'll see about changing *that*
-The game runs a bit slower than usual but not *extremely* slow. I should be fine.
-1089 dead/missing? We have been busy.

(Also, what's the natural lifespan of dwarves if you don't melt them?)

I'll update tomorrow on the beginning state of affairs.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: April 10, 2013, 06:06:36 am »

- We seem to have the whole fort open to the caverns. I'm not sure why this would be considered a good idea

No no, you got that wrong. The whole caverns are open to our fort. If the Circus is scary, we are the whole Festival.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: April 10, 2013, 07:21:18 am »

- We seem to have the whole fort open to the caverns. I'm not sure why this would be considered a good idea

No no, you got that wrong. The whole caverns are open to our fort. If the Circus is scary, we are the whole Festival.
Well......my first go at running the fort actually crashed just now...antivirus+antimalware+DF+moltenchannels does not appear to be a good combination. I was half way through writing an epic piece explaining just how I'd killed off ~20 dwarves, Udib the priest, Trollfursock, our mayor and about a quarter of the military (CaptainArchmage got some quality looting time in though)....and now it's wasted and tomorrow I'll have to redo it all AGAIN (hopefully not killing everyone again) and write it up properly. Good news though! I know what the venom on one of the FB's does now. Doduk (or whatever it's called. Venomous bite, webs, green S symbol) has a poison that either instakills or causes suffocation within a scarily short period of time.

I'll get back on it tomorrow (technically today, it's 00:17) and shut off everything else so the game won't crash. I didn't lose all that much, fortunately...and I know what to turn off so it won't go haywire.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: April 10, 2013, 05:30:21 pm »

Diary of Urist McKiwi II, Bombardier
1st Granite
Eurgh. Not sure what I did last night, but it musta been fun as hell judging by this headache. Guess the party I threw when they elected me overseer might have been a bad idea. I'm sure I didn't do anything that'd cause this...

Anyway. I'm the head girl now. Guess I'd better send some people around to take a look at the place and see where we're at. I've no idea what's going on the big engineering projects, I'm just a siege weapon lady....but I'm sure my predecessors will have left something for me to work on.

2nd Granite

The teams are out and about, I've identified a few areas I can work on....and ordered the surveyors to give more detailed reports on them.

1. Sealing the main stairwell so we can control what goes in an out of the caves. Our priest swears we can handle anything that comes out of the depths but I'm not so sure.....he seems oddly insistent that I not assign him to shepherd the novice miners I'm sending down to drill observation posts into the sides of the caves....guess he doesn't want to walk the walk on that.
2. Bedrooms. My predecessor did some excellent work here, but never finished his beloved project before he had to step down. When I learn of where the workshops are, I'll make sure to finish off what I can. I'll also find somewhere nice to build myself some quarters. I own a grand total of 8 damned things, and the best thing is my bed. That's going to change now I'm in charge...
3. I'm not sure who thought it would be funny to fill the guard tower with coffins, but apparently some dwarves have taken to sleeping there. I'll have to investigate this and see if anything can be rearranged or extended so our towers serve a function that can't be done better with a crypt. Addendum 6th Granite Survey team reports that initial mapping was incorrect. The tower is in fact full of beds. This still begs the question of why there's nowhere to shoot at attackers from.
4. I need to investigate the strange headaches and nausea everyone had yesterday. From what I can tell, at least half the forts population was talking about how weird it felt when they woke up...our doctors can't find anything though. Either we need better doctors, or we need to look out for some bad food being served by the kitchen staff.
5. At some stage I should probably deal with the undead army outside our gates, the military and our internal defenses, but that can wait until later. We have over 340 giant copper buzzsaws for some unknown purpose, so I'm sure if all else fails I can just fill the entire fortress with traps. This also ties in with making our towers work properly.

4th Granite.

A survey team found a diary in a fireplace, partially burned. It's my diary. I've got it on my desk now....and it's identical to this one up to the last entry, apart from the fire damage. What the blazes is going on? Did someone copy my diary? How would they know I was going to be elected overseer? Forging a 250 page diary in just 2 days is unthinkable...... they must have done most of it before I was elected....

I will have to review it this evening and see if this is some forgers joke or whether something strange is afoot. In the meantime, I'm suspending all operations until I get a structural diagram of the parts of the fortress that need securing....I do not want our main staircase collapsing into the caves. The team I sent to find the previous overseers maps should be back later today....then I can get an idea of what is going on here.

---

If this diary is NOT a forgery, then some strange things are going on. It definitely looks identical to my hand....but how could this be here? I'm writing in it!

...According to this, my plans to explore the caverns go wrong. A novice mining crew lead by our priest (who in this case *had* accepted the job of looking after them. Hmmm...suspicious...) broke into the caverns by accident and a beast from the depths invaded the fort after killing them all.

A strange blue glow spread through the fortress after the death of the priest....and the diary cuts off on the 21st of Granite. Huh. Not a particularly good fake, I must say....that's not even slightly believable.

Since whoever made this thing obviously didn't want us poking around down there, I think I may postpone those observation posts until I find out who's responsible. And why they don't want us messing around in the depths. It's probably that priest wanting to get out of looking after the new miners, but I'd better be sure.

----------------------------------

Ok, take 2! I'll get some screenshots up and go a week or two into Granite (as you can tell, I haven't really done anything yet, I'm just planning it and trying to find stuff) before I head off for the weekend (From saturday->early Tuesday I'll be out of action). I decided to take advantage of the fact that I basically wrote this update twice and introduce some more plotholes for future overseers.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:37:16 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: April 10, 2013, 08:06:30 pm »

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to run a turn right now. I've got a power issue that has my main computer down, and my laptop takes too long to run. I'm not actually sure if my main computer even works. Which would be depressing.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:38 pm »

I've been sending down miners to probe the magma sea from above......The main fort is pretty stable while the "secure the place" work is ongoing, plus I'm finding some nice stuff down there. Marble, Emerald, Gold, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND.........
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This spire is looking pretty dang possible to extract on higher Z levels.... I'm sending scouting parties to both of the spires to see what we've got. it's slow going thanks to marble + not very many miners + some of them are actually farmers I've conscripted + baby-spam cancellations + warm stone. No plans to unleash the HFS though. I'll settle for some nice candy swords and armor for future overlords to give to the military.
I've also ordered pretty much continuous steel production.
 Currently half-way through Spring, and things are looking pretty good. I'll do an IC update later today or tomorrow with more details.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 10, 2013, 09:44:59 pm »

Well......my first go at running the fort actually crashed just now...antivirus+antimalware+DF+moltenchannels does not appear to be a good combination.

The Lakebones Curse! (From another community game i played, something would always cause people to be late, or the game to just crash).

2. Bedrooms. My predecessor did some excellent work here, but never finished his beloved project before he had to step down. When I learn of where the workshops are, I'll make sure to finish off what I can. I'll also find somewhere nice to build myself some quarters. I own a grand total of 8 damned things, and the best thing is my bed. That's going to change now I'm in charge...

Yeah, i started on the windmill farms, but they werent needed, past the first floor. There's a massive wing of rooms (terrible waste of space (2x3 rooms), but they work)

Also, workshops are around the main central shaft in the fortress, Forges on the left.

Or, just use the manager to do it (That's what ive been doing in every succession fort, as i have no clue where the workshops are).

Just so you know, there's a still/kitchen on top of one of the spires, just on top of it. Never did work out why it was there.

At some stage I should probably deal with the undead army outside our gates, the military and our internal defenses, but that can wait until later. We have over 340 giant copper buzzsaws for some unknown purpose, so I'm sure if all else fails I can just fill the entire fortress with traps. This also ties in with making our towers work properly.

They were there when i started, never did much with them since we were successfully sealed off from the outside.

I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 100