Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383845 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Go Go Power Necros! (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #450 on: April 11, 2013, 02:40:50 am »

Diary of Urist McKiwi II, Bombardier

8th Felsite

Well, it's been a busy month or two...haven't really had the time to keep up with this diary. The fort isn't sealed up from the caves, and frankly I'm not sure that's even possible given how this place is laid out. Still got no idea where anything is.....but I'm getting by. And the trap program is starting to see results: Anything getting in the easy way is gonna get a face full of copper buzzsaws.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately that was too late for some of our dwarves...a giant cave spider got several of them while the military were running to assist. I think we're going to need some more soldiers stationed permenently down near the caves eventually.....in the meantime, I've ordered yet more traps to be positioned down there.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We have struck adamantine, and I have moved myself to a more...suitable abode where I can direct the operations in person. In case of accidents, I've taken the liberty of ordering some supplies to be stored behind my chambers....the miners need somewhere to run to if the lava breaks through the walls, and I'm in no place to turn them away. Besides, *I* need to survive if things go wrong! Some say that mining this stuff is unlucky and that "horrors" will come and kill us. Pah. That stuff's just tales for children.

Our baron has been whinging continuously for several months at the fact that someone apparently got buried in a nice tomb lately. So I commissioned a brand new tomb for him. Then he started whining that he wanted to be buried in his beloved restaurant......so I told them to make it a bit bigger and put some nice pictures on the new walls. He can go make a childrens play-area if he wants to, but I'm not doing it. Still.....guess I'll take that nice fancy tomb he was in line for. He also said that we could inquire about becoming the capital....that'd be nice, but I don't want the royals turning up and getting eaten by undead. Guess we'll have to wait a bit.

16th Felsite

Most exciting times. We've begun to extract adamantine from the first deposit! It'll take some time for us to get it worked into metal, but this is a whole new era for the fortress!

The priest has been acting odd lately. I don't trust him.....I'm certain he was behind that journal. He's got a solid alibi though, so I can't do anything about it....he doesn't seem too happy that we're touching the adamantine though. Guess that would explain why he was trying to stop us from poking around down there.... I asked him what his deal was and he muttered something about a duck and the end of the world as we know it. Guess now I know who was scribbling on the damned records.....what a nutter. We'll have to keep a close eye on him.

Ah well. He can't impede the flow of progress. I can just smell the adamantine ballista bolts........

1st Hematite

We've reached the second deposit and have begun extracting adamantine. I've had some extra workstations set up near my quarters to speed up extraction. We'll dig a pilot hole from the accessway to the #2 deposit to see if we can scout out the magma sea further.

------------------------------------------

McKiwi doesn't believe in ANY of this "magic" or 'end times' nonsense. Not when there's new engines of destruction to make and recalcitrant fast-food moguls to wrangle. I'm not going to breach the HFS though. That's a job for someone more capable (or less willing to forgo instant wealth in favor of worker safety) than I am.

CaptainArchmage, I am very sorry to say that your current incarnation is spending its eternal rest....um...somewhere. I have no idea where the corpses go, to be honest. What skills would you like your next incarnation to have?

The adamantine mining is pretty much my main occupation right now (besides my tomb/home as seen in the second screenshot). I'm into summer, and it's going fairly well. While I won't leave a fancy bit of work behind, I've made the fort a little safer and massively increased our access to weapons-grade material. And gotten us a little bit closer to breaking into hell and releasing McDuck into the world. Both the current candy spires go right through the magma, so they'll be a bit hard to mine....unless we divert water from the caverns into the magma sea, taking great care not to scald everyone to death. That would let us get at a lot more, as well as reducing the annoying warm stone cancellation spam.

DuckThatQuacks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 11, 2013, 06:25:05 am »

I can just smell the adamantine ballista bolts........

As I learned from Bellwaxed, long ago, adamantine ballista bolts are essentially useless. They bounce harmlessly off even totally unarmored enemies.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We need overseers. I'll step up as last resort but I'd prefer not to.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

I'll sign up for another turn.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile

I would sign up too, but I'm not sure if I would be able to complete it in time. Yesterday, I have seen how DF runs on my friend's PC... 3 times faster. Maybe that's why I can't do anything in less than 3 hours...
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 11, 2013, 01:09:41 pm »

As I learned from Bellwaxed, long ago, adamantine ballista bolts are essentially useless. They bounce harmlessly off even totally unarmored enemies.

After all, adamantine yes the same rough density of cork, terrible blunt weapon (although its good to give to a hammerer
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

If you want ballista bolts, use blood thorns. Try to get a recycler for the bolts (have them drop a level after hitting a wall) too. No metal is used in that situation.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Given that Cutey still appears to be alive, I'd be happy to have another shot at presiding over MOLTENCHANNELS!

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile

Sign me up! I need another fort to go insane in.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 11, 2013, 04:10:23 pm »

Guess I'll use the steel for them then. There's nowhere to put a new siege battery at present, but if the undead ever go away we could extend the walls. Or we can use them to fight the clown car later.

I think if we buff our fortress nice and shiney then we can try becoming the capital and let the royal entourage take the undead out for us (or get eaten, in which case we'll have already collapsed our civilisation even BEFORE releasing The Duck).

No update until I get back from my field work and move from uni back to my house on....tuesday! (New Zealand time)....at which point I'll do another season and update on progress.....

The fort basically has 3 problems:

1. The undead outside cause a billion job cancellations, which also obscures actual "Crap, send out the military and forbid body/death items again" announcements.
2. I think it's actually physically impossible to secure this place against incursions from the caverns without ripping out several of the main stairwells and rebuilding them. While the marksdwarves can handle nearly anything that comes through, random dwarves on their way to....do something, somewhere I still haven't found yet.......can't really handle things quite that well.
3. Until recently, we had basically no traps over large areas of the fortress (I noticed some cage traps in the caverns left behind by DuckThatQuacks [I think], but that's about it). I'm still working on this though.....using a lot of goblinite/dead trader debris to load some of the weapons traps so we're not 100% reliant on buzzsaws (for all we still have over 250 of JUST the copper ones). I'm not using cage traps at present but I may introduce some more of them to handle things we could do with keeping rather than smearing across the walls.

(BTW: When/if we fall, our only survivor is looking to be the beserk vampire.)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Tonight, we dine in hell (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #460 on: April 11, 2013, 05:44:47 pm »

Walling the stairs shouldn't be that hard, just use temporary floors to build the corners.

Fun that we already have our own murderous walled prisoner. :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:47:17 pm by Wastedlabor »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:29 am »

I've solved my problem, and my computer didn't melt, so slot me in wherever you've got room.

UristTheGrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2013, 01:10:12 pm »

Been awhile, glad to see the fort still alive. Is UristTheGrey still breathing? Itd be pretty damn surprising if he was

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2013, 01:52:39 pm »

I've solved my problem, and my computer didn't melt, so slot me in wherever you've got room.

I'll re-slot you in your original position.

bp920091

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary +5 Organizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 13, 2013, 03:29:02 am »

Walling the stairs shouldn't be that hard, just use temporary floors to build the corners.

Yeah, i already started on the bottom level, build the 2 floors needed to build the corner walls

Oh, and we also need to close off the roof of that cavern area, as even if the stairwell is taken care of, someone could just fly over the short walls and have a visit with us.
I must make a note to buy some cats from traders at the next opportunity and see if I can chain up a breeding pair someplace clean. Having kittens wandering the hallways will be a good way of identifying patches of paralytic poison that still need to be taken care of.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 100