Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383871 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The royal bloodsucker has arrived! (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #525 on: May 04, 2013, 02:38:06 am »

Ah, sweet. I'll play some more in the morning. Perhaps I can coax a little more speed out of my computer.

The best bet is probably to spend some time ingame between projects getting rid of extraneous socks, blood and caged/uncaged/dismembered-and-scattered-across-the-landscape critters. We've had some unicorns in cages for over 5 *years* that we can probably sell to someone....and lots of caged zombies we can drop into the volcano. And probably some zombie unicorns we can test out as biological weapons.

Edit: Also, I'd like to sign on for another turn in 5-6 years or so. I had enough fun the first time to make doing it again seem like a good idea.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:48:19 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 04, 2013, 06:13:07 am »

Yeah, I noticed that, and now that the minecart  is no longer backed up, we can get a move on dumping things. It's actually not taken too long to clear out the intermediary holding pile at the base of the track.

---

So it seems that the little monster has started construction, which is good because now the little rodents are all busy watching to see what he's making. Of course I'm certain it'll be a while before they stop telling me what he's made. Ah, speak of the devil. It seems it's a Goblin-cap amulet.

I've also changed the garbage cart to leave when it's half-full, since part of the back up is it leaving with only part of it's available load.

I'm debating a design for magma landmines, but they all rely on pump stations outside the moats to lift the magma high enough. I've asked other dwarves for input, but I'm rather skeptical, given the difficulty of FINDING anything in this fortress. It took me fifteen minutes to find where the workshops were even at, and another forty to even find a craftsdwarf work shop. Then they're all busy running adamantine. Finally I found one who could get the slabs engraved.

We'll get these ghosts put down, and start memorializing ahead. I'm going to have a few dozen slabs made up.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:25:26 am by Triaxx2 »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: May 04, 2013, 06:28:07 pm »

Nice to see they've actually got on to that strand extraction order a year after I filed it. :P

Edit: One option for magma landmines would be to drop things *into* the magma, rather than dropping the magma onto the target. It's harder to reset (of course, you could just use drawbridges to fling things into the volcano) but might save on pumps/framerate.

Or you could lower the groundlevel.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 07:13:54 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 04, 2013, 07:49:45 pm »

We could just set a couple pumps on the edge of the moat and burn the forest at will. That has worked well so far. :P
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 04, 2013, 10:45:53 pm »

We could just set a couple pumps on the edge of the moat and burn the forest at will. That has worked well so far. :P

I think our first priority if we do that is to work out what's causing the fires right now so we can turn it off.

That said, it's probably the quickest solution, for all it has a bit of a recharge time while the landscape recovers from the fire.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 05, 2013, 08:03:26 am »

Minor detail. The problem with the pumps is that it would require some form of power or dwarves to get over there and pump manually, which isn't always an option.

---

No one has brought forward a solution yet, but several are working feverishly on... well, something. In better news, humans have arrived, just in time to buy our junk. Also, it seems the elven diplomat was seen stalking off in a huff. It seems the queen didn't like him. I don't blame her.

On the other hand, we have one minor dwarven problem. UristMcDonald has gone stark raving mad, apparently because we couldn't make a tin table, in spite of me trying to find something to melt. Well, that's going to be a problem for someone. Not me. I'm almost done with the reactor. One more water wheel to finish it. Then it's all over but the flooding. I've installed a couple copper doors to stop the water from going too high when I fire up the reactor filling system.

I'll get the humans to take all the garbage off our hands. Oh, and I um... sort of over did the statues. We've got nearly a hundred and they're now being installed in the queen's rooms.

And finally, we had a child possessed. Fantastic. Can't wait to see what fun destruction he causes.

The humans take a bunch of junk off our hands, and in exchange hand over a considerable amount of booze, and a dozen or so anvils. I figure we can melt those down for more iron or steel armor. I also got rid of a bunch of unicorns and rutherers, though only those in wooden cages. I suggest the rest be released in a pitable area, then the cages be reclaimed. Perhaps a pit or two over an arena and have them tossed bodily in to brutally murder one another for our entertainment. I think I'll call it.. Reality Arena.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 05, 2013, 04:07:42 pm »

Wait, so McDonald only went insane? Not beserk?

.....That's about the first time he hasn't taken the opportunity to punch people....

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 05, 2013, 06:36:13 pm »

I admit I was pretty surprised. I half-expected to have to send in the military. I think it was the queen taking over his position that did it.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 06, 2013, 04:44:56 am »

I admit I was pretty surprised. I half-expected to have to send in the military. I think it was the queen taking over his position that did it.

And he was so eager to meet the royals earlier... I suppose the fact the queen turned out to be a bloodsucker (and thus unwilling to dine at his beloved restaurants) was just too much for his poor strained mind, already weary from the stress of years of making stupid mandates....

Rest in peace, Urist McDonald*. The world will not know another restauranteur like you.

....Which, quite frankly, is probably a good thing. But still.

*When you actually die, that is.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:47:10 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: May 06, 2013, 06:20:12 am »

Well... actually, I think she did dine at his restaurant. I think that might be what did it. That's not ketchup.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: May 07, 2013, 01:13:34 am »

Well... actually, I think she did dine at his restaurant. I think that might be what did it. That's not ketchup.

"This food is bloody awful!" "Your majesty?....I...well..what's wrong with it, my lady? How can I fix it?" "BLOOD! AHAHAHAHAHA!"

Also, it's kinda ironic that the dwarf played by Duck is the one that goes quackers.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: May 07, 2013, 02:43:53 pm »

Yeah it is. Sorry for the gap in play, the computer has been acting up.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: May 08, 2013, 08:11:31 pm »

Finally fixed it. Broken wire on a fan.

---

I'm getting reports of a rogue unicorn, which is wreaking havoc, and suspending job orders. I give the military orders to kill it. They're back less than five minutes later. It seems that while they were heading out the gates, it tried to cross through the back door. A giant glass corkscrew gave it a second horn. Honestly guys, I trust you, you didn't have to bring me the head for proof.

I need another drink.

---

On the seventh of Limestone, a Kobold Thief shows up. The sight of two military squads bearing down on it sends it racing away at a speed I've not seen in a long time. I've been informed that all adamantine has been processed. I've never been one for adamantine, and I'm not sure what we need exactly, so I've forbidden anyone from doing anything with it to stop the doctors from doing anything stupid. I've heard the stories. Artifact legs because of the doctors using Adamantine thread. Not happening here.

Another thief shows itself, but once again, the military scares it off. By the end of the month, the fort is back on an even keel, and I'm going to stop for a bit of a break.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: May 09, 2013, 12:01:40 am »

On the few occasions our weapons traps actually work, they tend to work pretty darned well. Death to pancreas!

In terms of the adamantine, I mined it so we could (eventually) equip our best soldiers with armor that'll keep them alive (our casualty rate and training set-up for the military may prevent us from even getting to the stage of HAVING good melee troops) through virtually everything. Currently we have...let's see.... 2-3 short swords and a couple of breastplates made of the stuff, from memory. I may have ordered some leggings as well, but I'm not sure about that and they certainly didn't exist at the end of my turn. All the existing candy items are equipped ATM (McKiwi III has a breastplate and a sword, and the captain of one of the squads when I left off had the other set). It might be worth churning through what strands we've got, turning them into wafers and making 2-3 full sets of decent-quality adamantine plate armor...but it's probably more worthwhile to make sure the melee guys have full steel plate for now until they're trained up to an acceptable standard. Basically do whatever you want: As long as we're careful we can probably get a fair bit more candy before we breach hell, and I'm fairly sure there's more raw adamantine in the stockpiles anyway.

(Although I dare say that using them for yet more weapons traps would be awesome but impractical)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: May 09, 2013, 05:44:08 am »

I've never really gotten to adamantine so I'm not entirely sure how the process works. I'll leave that for the next guy in line.

---

So we've had another child craft an artifact. And it's fairly impressive. A wooden toyboat, called Kudar Igath, "The Immortal of Scraping". A rather appropos name for a dwarven made boat of any size. What's interesting is that it has images of two other artifacts, Steamyhustled the Raw Adamantine Amulet, and The Maroon Skies the native copper ring.

Surprisingly, and rather pleasantly, nothing happens by the end of Sandstone, except a Kobold thief who makes the incredibly fatal decision to run further INTO the fortress. Who doesn't love Greasy, grimy Kobold bits?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 100