Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386264 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The royal bloodsucker has arrived! (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #540 on: May 09, 2013, 11:30:29 pm »

What's interesting is that it has images of two other artifacts, Steamyhustled the Raw Adamantine Amulet, and The Maroon Skies the native copper ring.

Hey, those two were made during my turn. Guess they were bummed out at not being able to have actual candy in the artifact ("Muuuuuuum, can I have some insanely valuable wonder-metal to build a toy boat so I can appease the thing screaming at me in my head?" "No, have some godammned planks") and instead put pictures of the two fort artifacts that used it. :P

Edit: I shall proof-read my posts before posting them!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:32:08 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 11, 2013, 02:36:22 pm »

Soo... it seems the fortress is actively out to get us. It ignited both the outer area, and the island itself. Fortunately there were no injuries, though I'm unable to tell what started it. I've watched the minecart, and it's far towards the center of the volcano, that it's not that. I was underground, supervising the trading with a dwarven caravan who arrived, so I missed the start of this one. It's almost winter though, and I never finished the reactor. One of the water wheels refuses to be built. No one seems to know who's job it is to build it. It just never gets done.

Fine, the day winter starts, I will order the filling begun.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 11, 2013, 04:44:29 pm »

Three! That's three times the fortress has randomly combusted! Ah! Ha! Ha!
..wait, we don't *have* a Count so I can't really do that...\

I suggest walling the edge of the moat/replacing my fortifications with walls. That should provide a little cover from whatever is causing all the fires. Alternatively, just roll with it....the fortress randomly catching fire once a year makes for a good running gag.

For the water wheel, try cancelling the build and then telling them to build a new one. I've had similar problems with walls and the like before.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:48:22 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 12, 2013, 06:27:36 am »

Yeah, I'm going to do that tomorrow. Today I have other things to do.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 14, 2013, 03:59:46 pm »

Journal entry for 4th Obsidian, found in the office of the overseer the day before the end of the year.

IT. IS. ALIVE. After all these years of preparation, the great reactor is now alive. It produces power enough to raise water from the caverns beneath us all the way to the surface. Though none have been able to complete the pressure tower, this is enough to bring water to just below the surface. I make my preparations to depart now. I will leave the tower to others to finish. This is my legacy. This is my great work.

The reactor provides power enough to drive the great lift, with some to spare. I leave it as a gift to dwarfdom.

I am the darkness. I am the thing that goes bump in the night. I am... Darkwing Dorf!

---

No other trace was found of the Overseer, except a request for 11 gold encrusted dragon tallow roasts.

----

I'll post the save either later tonight or tomorrow, my internet is acting strange. The SAVE.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:53:41 am by Triaxx2 »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 15, 2013, 05:19:05 pm »

Yay. Next one!
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 15, 2013, 08:05:38 pm »

Yay. Next one!
You should do one of your "Udib's Interludes" again some time. :P

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 16, 2013, 05:03:09 am »

I have to go through the whole thread and link any diaries I missed from other characters too.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 16, 2013, 11:36:05 am »

Hey all, I'm here! I'll get going on the turn within the next two days :)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 17, 2013, 01:38:15 pm »

My turn is next (after CognitiveDissonance finishes), if it comes after 12 or so days from now, I'm going to be OK to take it. I'm recovering from a few things, and have stuff to finish in the meantime.

I've taken a look at the save. I'm really glad my last dwarf's body is, like, in the golden sarcophagus it deserves to be in, as opposed to lying in a walled-off disaster zone under a few meters of water. Did you manage to bury the citizens in the garbage dump or did they ride the minecart into the volcano?

I do not know why Reactor Beta is broken, something went wrong with getting the infiniflow to register.

You people built a drawbridge lever to seal of the adamantine mine on the spot a drawbridge or metric fuckton of traps were supposed to be located. New Townbrush was intended as a settlement, but also as a survival shelter in case something went wrong with the [CLASSIFIED_INFORMATION] in the [CLASSIFIED_INFORMATION].

Suitable defence arrangements are being made, I see. However, why is there a pile of gold amulets and an artefact outside?

Edit: Alright, we're officially missing tracks. We need to implement some means of taking food and wood down to the depths by minecart, and then bring back to the surface marble and adamantine. I think some deep forges would help, too.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 02:05:47 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 17, 2013, 02:06:49 pm »

There were citizens in the dump? I just started memorializing everything.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 17, 2013, 02:16:51 pm »

There were citizens in the dump? I just started memorializing everything.

Yes, there were. They were dead who had been brought in from outside.

I think we need to upgrade the burial chambers. We can do it with a massive hall of sarcophagi, but I think we need some proper dedicated chambers 3x3 in size, at least. When it gets around to my turn, I will be building another massive mausoleum underground. I will also be expanding the settlement of New Townbrush, to house more dwarves.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 17, 2013, 04:51:29 pm »

Let's face it, if something gets that far into the fortress past the military (there's a barracks down between the adamantine and New Townsbrush), traps are probably a secondary concern after "OH MY GOD SEAL EVERYTHING!". That lever should probably be moved though....I only put it there so that there'd be a higher chance of it getting pulled before the HFS rushed past the drawbridge if things went wrong (At the time there was fairly high traffic between the main fort and New Townbrush (which actually makes it a questionable refuge if we get a syndrome outbreak), so the entrance was a great place to put the emergency lever as a temporary measure).

I believe the amulets and artifacts are left over from when I was bribing the mountainhomes to send our royals over...I made a bunch of them as trade goods. I think one of our artifacts was made at a workshop on the surface at the same time (the native copper ring that's fantastically valuable). No idea what they're doing up there though....we may need better stockpile management and/or new storage areas.

...of course what we'll get is chronic mismanagement and schizophrenic designs, combined with a generous portion of hilarity. And death. Lots of death.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Volcano of Accidental Burials (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #553 on: May 17, 2013, 07:30:26 pm »

Umm... oops?

Point of interest. I used two of the levers in the control room directly north of the trade depot, and forgot to mark them with Notes. They control flood gates in the massive water lift, so you might want to do something about that.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Volcano of Accidental Burials (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #554 on: May 18, 2013, 07:46:13 pm »

Summary of the situation I can see:

So apparently the fortress has one individual in a strange mood, screaming for cut gems and bones. There are unfinished fortifications around the island, and an unfinished tower sitting on its own island, surrounded by lava. Someone has ordered all the trees to be cut down, but the logs are still lying around.

There is an open-air region which should be a greenhouse, but is open to the sky. Meanwhile, the farms around the golden pyramid were never removed

The towers, the foundations of which were laid down a few years ago, were never completed. Someone has, however, set up some siege weapons, but they are exposed.

The gigantic reactor is completely inactive, and there are trees in it. Yes, trees.

The berserk vampire remains berserking in the cells. Another vampire has been chained up in there as well. The most intelligent course of action would be to have the two fight.

The logic array has been dug out. At least that has been done. However, part of the vertical axle has been flooded.

The chambers originally belonging to the Captain of the Guard now belong to the Vampire Queen, who has an interesting taste in furniture. The Vampire Queen is also the Mayor.

Meanwhile, the former mayor still retains his quarters.

The rooms I dug out just below the upper caverns were never inhabited. The rooms I dug out above that, despite being of superior quality, were never even furnished. Instead, dwarves are still living in cabinets. They are larger rooms, which include a chest and another cabinet, but they aren't necessarily desirable, especially not for the Mountainhomes.

The gatehouse in the middle caverns has been suspended in construction. No idea why.

The magma pumps in the depths have still not been connected up to a power supply. In fact, no further development has happened down there.

I've noticed a lot of sarcophagi have been filled with "dwarf corpses". These are actually the un-named undead dwarves brought in by the necromancers.

There's still a metric fuckton of cages in the courtyard.

Finally, the fortress is nearly out of booze.

Edit: I see Avuz Konosshaketh is still the resident militia captain of New Townbrush, and has been so for maybe the past four years. Is that supposed to be a survival record now? I notice her squad's name has changed, though. It used to be The Decent Letters, but is now The Dead Armors.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:56:58 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 100