Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 386384 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Volcano of Accidental Burials (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #555 on: May 18, 2013, 10:26:28 pm »

I couldn't keep the stills running. And I chopped those bloody trees in the reactor down twice and then gave up. On the other hand, I did buy up every drop of booze I could.

I'm not sure why they weren't picking up the logs, since I had forty some odd idlers, who flat out refused to do anything.

I'm thinking I miscalculated the number of pumps necessary to run the main reactor. Of course, reactor alpha runs the entire water lift mechanism, so the main one might not even be necessary.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 18, 2013, 11:55:56 pm »

Summary of the situation I can see:
There are unfinished fortifications around the island, and an unfinished tower sitting on its own island, surrounded by lava.
That's my work, the fortifications were a temporary thing in case we got seiged at the wrong moment...in the long term they'll have to go bye-bye if we want an actual dike.

The towers, the foundations of which were laid down a few years ago, were never completed. Someone has, however, set up some siege weapons, but they are exposed.

Also me. THe seige weapons are primarily anti-undead things and were set up in a hurry. I'd advise their removal.

The gigantic reactor is completely inactive, and there are trees in it. Yes, trees.
Trees are awesome.

The rooms I dug out just below the upper caverns were never inhabited. The rooms I dug out above that, despite being of superior quality, were never even furnished. Instead, dwarves are still living in cabinets.

VERY dwarfy.

Edit: I see Avuz Konosshaketh is still the resident militia captain of New Townbrush, and has been so for maybe the past four years. Is that supposed to be a survival record now? I notice her squad's name has changed, though. It used to be The Decent Letters, but is now The Dead Armors.

It's probably not a survival record for the military, we've had a few people who just won't die.....but she's one of the more successful soldiers. The Dead Armors was one of the squads I set up when I reformed the military. (EDIT: I think)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:22:46 am by Urist McKiwi »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:41 am »

Sorry all, time has run away from me. It's funny how a long weekend (in Canada) can make time so scarce.

I'll download the turn, and do it - or at least get a start - tomorrow! I give you my dwarven word!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 21, 2013, 07:36:22 pm »

Sorry all, time has run away from me. It's funny how a long weekend (in Canada) can make time so scarce.

I'll download the turn, and do it - or at least get a start - tomorrow! I give you my dwarven word!

I will be free to play as of Tuesday next week, so you have until then or thereabouts.

So, my fellow dwarves: when the next version comes out and this fortress is done with, shall we start anew on the new version?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 21, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »

I will be free to play as of Tuesday next week
CaptainArchmage: now F2P, funded by subscriptions and micropayments.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 21, 2013, 08:58:27 pm »

I will be free to play as of Tuesday next week
CaptainArchmage: now F2P, funded by subscriptions and micropayments.

Moltenchannel's computer isn't that complicated yet.

Not yet.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 22, 2013, 02:40:51 am »

Okay! Loaded the fort, and it's more complex than I expected. I really like it! Initial impressions:

- Magma moat!
- I don't understand that tower; it's open to everything, I'll work to isolate it
- WHY IS HALF THE MAP ON FIRE?
- Our stockpiles are up above and exposed to the elements.
- We have way, way too much farming going on. Is it being processed somewhere?
- The military is missing a lot of clothing items.

Preliminary plans are:
- Streamline storage and hauling. Relocate all stockpiles, optimize travel paths
- Increase access security. Cover all open tiles with bars or hatches or floors. Create an isolation chamber for cavern access. Put a convenient decoy to decrease interest in invading our fortress.
- Produce ALL THE CLOTHING
- Increase food/drink complexity. Forgotten Beast Tallow Stews are good enough to sell to elves, but I want wheat and syrup!
- Remove current security threats. Use force if necessary.
- Completely ignore the logic chamber. I have no idea.
- Create an industrial-sized respectful catacombs for all the dead. I don't care where they came from, they are dwarves and deserve proper end. Seal any restless dead, if possible. Slab all ghosts.
- Find myself a suitable dwarf. Provide proper accommodations.

Overall, I'll focus on improving and increasing efficiency. Let me know what I've missed. In the mean time, I'll get started!

The fort is bigger than I anticipated, so I'll take my time. Apparently, I have until the upcoming Tuesday :)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 22, 2013, 04:08:59 am »

Okay! Loaded the fort, and it's more complex than I expected. I really like it! Initial impressions:

- I don't understand that tower; it's open to everything, I'll work to isolate it

1. Towers in general in this place do not get finished. If you're looking at the one on the island in the magma moat, there IS a lever to isolate it....somewhere. I left a note on it but I'm not sure where I put it. Probably just under it, knowing me. If it's a different one...who knows? If you somehow finish a tower you'll join an exclusive club currently occupied solely by DuckThatQuacks.  I think his tower (outside the fort to the Northeast) has an isolation lever as well....
2. We honestly have no idea. It happens about once a year, so you'll get to see it again. It's quite handy if there's a seige at the time it pops up. Not so good if there's a caravan.

You should also take a good hard look at our pathetic excuse for a dining room (and then build something better) if you're trying to reduce threats (since the Ribbonworm of DOOM came through the drain there, and it's waaaay too small anyway), and probably see if the military can get better armor once you've found some clothes for them. The dining room is next to that big compound we have down in one of the caverns.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 22, 2013, 10:30:18 am »

2. We honestly have no idea. It happens about once a year, so you'll get to see it again. It's quite handy if there's a seige at the time it pops up. Not so good if there's a caravan.

So we have a predictable fire? Now I'm not very good with that stuff, but why has this not been weaponized? You know, prepare a bed of lignite; wait for it to ignite; collapse supports holding it in place so it falls into a minecart; PROFIT!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 22, 2013, 05:04:38 pm »

So we have a predictable fire? Now I'm not very good with that stuff, but why has this not been weaponized? You know, prepare a bed of lignite; wait for it to ignite; collapse supports holding it in place so it falls into a minecart; PROFIT!

We have weaponised it. Sorta. We shepherd every friendly inside, raise the bridges and let it roast all the undead and goblins. If we could control it further we could probably make something evil (Especially if we can get an infinitely-burning floor [persuade someone to make an artifact lignite grate] or something. Then we can have a trap-entrance to kill off sieges). Also, we could turn it off and avoid migrant/caravan immolation, which hasn't happened yet, but it's only a matter of time.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 23, 2013, 05:20:47 am »

I don't know that it's entirely predictable. It happened twice during my last run, not counting it being already on fire when I got there.

I'm suspecting it might be my fault though. During my first turn I tried to even out the moat by chopping open those areas that had obsidianized when they hit water. Might be getting flammable moss or something down there.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 23, 2013, 06:21:31 am »

Nah, I think it may be magma crabs trying to snipe living beings passing by. Try chaining a pet near the volcano and see if the fire gets started around it.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:37 am »

Nah, I think it may be magma crabs trying to snipe living beings passing by. Try chaining a pet near the volcano and see if the fire gets started around it.
This....is actually VERY plausible. The fire in my turn started near a goblin squad that had just turned up...I didn't see it at the time because they only came out of ambush later as they were running from the fire. So I guess that's probably it.

Is it actually possible to capture those things? If so....

Step 1: Capture magma crabs (good luck)
Step 2: Release inside fortified area, with bridges and ANOTHER layer of fortifications so it won't be shot and the bridges won't be destroyed by titans/trolls/whatever. Note: DO NOT LEAVE OPEN LINE OF SIGHT TO FORTRESS. Otherwise we'll bombard our own dwarves.
Step 3. Chain kittens outside fortified area (preferably with something to protect them as well).
Step 4: When danger comes, pull lever and set fire to everything via crabs.

Alternatively, use Step 1&2 multiple times to set up turrets across the map.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 25, 2013, 09:55:29 am »

I think we should introduce more rules from old times. For example, rulers should make themselves a tomb (for examples Captain Archmage's tomb, first cavern layer, and Urist McDonald's tomb in the dining hall).

We should also set a "win" condition, which will be grounds for fortress retirement on arrival of the new version. My suggestion is:

Fully operational magma fortress mountainhome, with fortified entrances with roads into all cavern layers, HFS colony, fortress, and road, dwarf-computer, and proper fortifications and town outside the main island.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 25, 2013, 10:02:06 pm »

Dwarf Computer is kinda OOC in the Ardentdikes series.

I think a good enough win condition would be to explore the depths to find any breach that might allow McDuck to escape from hell, and close it. I'll write an Udib's journal to introduce it.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:05:29 pm by Wastedlabor »
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 100