Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385666 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Volcano of Accidental Burials (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #585 on: May 29, 2013, 05:24:12 am »

If you guys are okay with that, I need one final day's delay. Today was taken up with a turn at Ghoullights which was........ intense.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 29, 2013, 08:32:50 pm »

It's fine.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:57 am »

(posting as I go, will edit into something more readable afterwards)
(I'm also collecting screenshots, so a lot of those entries are used as triggers for my memory for later)

The goblins are isolated outside. Everyone got inside.

I sent our marksdwarves to man the remote tower. I doubt they would get a shot, but it's better than nothing.

The goblins captured a lone dwarf that was caught outside. He... didn't last long.

I found hematite in a remote shaft! I'm having it all mined out, and I'm searching for more. I"m sure it's there.

God damn Elves took issue with green glass, and decided to leave. Good luck with that.

I hope the goblins leave soon. We are in no condition to fight them, and I would love to add more useful fortifications.

I also found a minecart track and some kind of a pipe... but I'm loathe to use them, as I have no idea what they do :(

Agh, I guess I can't do much of what I wanted while the goblins are outside. Well then, it's time for industry! MINE! FORGE! MINE! FORGE! MAKE BACKPACKS!

Well, on the downside I'm getting a LOT of mandates. On the upside, they are for military gear.

I am tempted to dig deeper into that adamantine. Must... refrain... from... temptation!

I let the military get back to resting and training. Goblins are camping out on the far side of the map...

Why is there a weapons stockpile outside? o.O I dare not investigate too much for fear of goblin bolts :(

An elven diplomat stopped by, asking us to limit our wood cutting efforts. For now, I will abide - we are restricted to 125 trees. Why? Because we have no real fortifications, and I fear elves' bows. Next year... we may not be so agreeable.

Another forgotten beast... Very well, maybe it's about time we cleaned the caverns out a bit.
... Glad I checked. The nearest beastie has deadly blood, AND it is sitting right next to the drain for hospital well. Drat.

I think I will engage the beasts from a different angle. There are at least two in that water, but we have many well-geared soldiers. I will slay this damn beast, spill its blood, and then isolate the area where it died.

Or, even better! Create a shooting range above it, and needle it to death. Tempting, if not for that deadly blood...

Uh oh, a bunch of migrants decided to arrive literally right next to the goblins. Well, so long immigrants...
By some miracle, a bone doctor was able to make it inside! You are one brave, and lucky, dwarf. Meanwhile, his comrades were able to find the 3rd ambush sitting nearby, that of goblin spearmen.

At least they didn't suffer for long.

The goblins wandered near our tower, chasing some yak bull child. We were able to get a shot on one of theirs, killing it swiftly. The rest are hanging out JUST outside crossbow range.

One of the off-duty marksdwarves finds a perfect sniper spot on the minecart tracks, and takes quite a few shots at the goblins. That is genius! I bring the rest of the squad up, but the goblins have had enough. They are out.

Time for REAL fortifications.

Nope, no break for us. Human merchants arrive, and they are followed by zombies. This means there may also be a necromancer out there, which is extremely bad given the sheer number of corpses. Well, FML.

AAaand another forgotten beast. Great.

So that forgotten beast... yeah, it made its way into the fortress somehow, and is chasing a child. Here comes live practice for the militia!
This one has deadly blood as well. I really, really, really hope this doesn't escalate.

We have lost a few from that incursion, amongst them Urist McDonald. Farewell, you made for such an excellent baron :(

I also ordered several human weapons - morningstars, flails and more. Those can do quite a bit of damage if they are well-done, we should make use of them.

Some idiot dwarf carried the corpse over to be butchered. I forbade it JUST in time. Also, I found the breach - it seems that my well shaft has claimed another few victims. Sorry all... at least future wounded can be treated with clean water (I checked)

That child is somehow alive, but very wounded. Yeah... good luck to him :-/

But! It seems that at least one necromancer wandered into a trap outside! Idiot necro...

Now it's gotten quite boring. We have killed everything our bolts and catapults could reach, but I don't dare send our militia out. I'm focusing back on production and development.

Aaaand a werepanther o.O

Not ones to dissapoint, Goblin Cleaning Services join in the fun! They are currently beating zombies left and right, to my great delight!

With the two sides disposed of, I feel comfortable enough walking out and cleaning up. Winter is almost here, and I open the gates to let the dwarves clean up the land. Could be a mistake... but what the hell.

We also have a glut of gold bars. I am now constructing ALL of our fortifications with gold.

Aaand another forgotten beast. Pictures will come.

Surface cleanup is going extremely well. Things are very smooth, and I'm quite pleased with how everything turned out. It is now late winter.
Another FB. This is just annoying now, someone has to exterminate those things.

A secretive mood from a jeweler, and he only grabs one item. Not very exciting...
Have I mentioned the fey mood from that kid ages ago? Yeah, nothing special. I think he made a wooden earring.

Also had a better look at the dwarven necro who caused us that earlier trouble. We really should dispose of all the captives of war sometime soon. Preferrably in a messy and/or fiery manner.

Late winter, time to get inside! The exterior is significantly cleaner, and a lot of corpses and items have been collected. We are now building massive golden fortifications for our little island fortress :)

And done! Not much else happened, so I present to you a safer, more secure, and more stable Moltenchannels!

I will update with screenshots and better text tomorrow. No promises for a story, as a LOT happened, but we are done!

(uploading)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:27:04 am by CognitiveDissonance »
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 30, 2013, 01:34:59 am »

You can probably get a little more safe candy from the left right-spire (Edit: Yeah, should probably get that right the first time). Or dig more sighting holes into the top of the magma sea to try finding another spire.

With luck, that squad will annoy an imp enough to immolate the landscape. Bonus points if you can let the elves out just as the fire sweeps through.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 30, 2013, 05:29:50 am »

And save is up! Once more, apologies for just jotted down notes and no images. That will come.

But here it is!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7706

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 30, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »

Excellent. Most excellent. My friends, I am proud to announce that I will be starting on my turn as soon as possible.

(I still have some things to finish, should be done tomorrow. But I am going to take a look, and generate myself a new character.)

My fellow dwarves, it is time for a quick survey. Where, if anywhere, do you draw the line in role-play for these games? Is it socially acceptable to post an !!OW MY EYES!! description of dwarves cutting down goblins in the arena (with blood and gore), or role-play a usurper in their brutal and bloody disposal of the loyal faction?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 30, 2013, 04:31:42 pm »

I've just noticed the year on the save is the same as the year on the previous save - we're on 1st Granite 1093. Are you sure you got the right save when you started your turn?

My reaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Yeah, the reactor in the previous save was complete. This reactor is not finished nor flooded. Oh well. Shall I let you re-play the year or just get on in this alternate version, which shall become official? I am certainly going to make the reactor better.

Edit2: Oh right, you mentioned Urist McDonald dying in THIS fortress too, but we also don't have the vampire queen.

Edit OMG so many edits: Well the lever to open the lava intake works.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:13:59 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 30, 2013, 05:10:12 pm »

I've just noticed the year on the save is the same as the year on the previous save - we're on 1st Granite 1093. Are you sure you got the right save when you started your turn?

My reaction:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Yeah, the reactor in the previous save was complete. This reactor is not finished nor flooded. Oh well. Shall I let you re-play the year or just get on in this alternate version, which shall become official? I am certainly going to make the reactor better.

Edit2: Oh right, you mentioned Urist McDonald dying in THIS fortress too, but we also don't have the vampire queen.

Ah crap, really? How did I manage that? >.< I'm very happy with how the turn turned out, but I am willing to replay it if need be. Sorry :(

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 30, 2013, 05:37:37 pm »

The turn looks alright, besides Urist McDonald coming out dead... AGAIN! If other people think CognitiveDissonance should re-do his/her turn, that's OK though.

It looks like we may be getting the king anyways.

What kind of FPS were you getting?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:00:01 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 30, 2013, 08:08:22 pm »

So we've now rewritten time and killed McDonald...again.

Well, the options are "do it again", "ignore it and continue" or "Roleplay it".

I'd favour the latter to save time given Udib Wastedlabour's past mastery of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff. It allows the plot to curdle a bit more....but it's kinda hard on Triaxx2.

My personal limits on roleplaying are:

-I won't describe anything TOO nasty, unless it's hilarious.
-I won't deliberately kill a named dwarf, unless it's the only way through a situation.
-I usually try to keep other named dwarves in character if they've had their narrative expressed in a turn before. Except McDonald, who was a jerk and deserved it.

In terms of graphic depictions of horror and slaughter...eh....describing it in waaay too much detail (or shiny colours/big bold text) detracts from the feel of it, but sometimes you want some more description, or to use an over-the-top depiction for some other purpose.

EG. Urist McKiwi II cared very little for the military, so her reports of conflict would read "The dwarf ended the battle by cutting the goblins head off. About time too.", whereas McKiwi III, being dashing and all that, would probably write battle reports like bad fanfiction (which I can't actually mimic very well), so "The captain strode blodly (sic) towards the evil goblin, whos armor gleamed with rusty blood as he screamed his battle cry to the luminous sun. The dwarf, raising his axe to the heavens, cried out as he brought his axe down onto the fiend and clevered (sic) his neck in twain with his axe." Et Cetera. It's really hard for me to write like that. The former gets to the point quickly and goes through less-than-epic battles so that the rest of the write-up can be done. The latter....was really really hard to write, but provides an opportunity to make fun of how utterly stupid the dashing swordsdwarf actually is (I am reaaaally looking forward to playing her as an overseer. Unless I'm up to McKiwi IV by then).

Your last turn was pretty dang good. And the old Ardentdykes thread got pretty graphic at times as well (and DuckThatQuacks did some really masterful RP, complete with brutalness, in his turn). So yeah, do what seems best at the time and see what it looks like.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 30, 2013, 09:14:59 pm »

but it's kinda hard on Triaxx2.

This is what really bothers me to be honest. I feel bad for undoing his work...
Weekend is here, and I really enjoyed Moltenchannels after I got out of my insomnia/anxiety lull. I would be willing to replay it by the end of Saturday if you guys would like that.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 31, 2013, 05:36:55 am »

Don't feel bad. Mostly all I did was burn things down and and strip mine the surface of trees.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 31, 2013, 05:45:13 am »

It's up to Triaxx2. If this alt line is allowed Triaxx2 can choose a new turn whenever, regardless of the order.

I should have suspected something when I saw the forest was still on fire.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:47:20 am by Wastedlabor »

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 31, 2013, 02:19:08 pm »

It's up to Triaxx2. If this alt line is allowed Triaxx2 can choose a new turn whenever, regardless of the order.

I should have suspected something when I saw the forest was still on fire.

Very well, I will get to writing a proper journal entry to replace my notes tonight. It's a bit late, but it'll give you something MUCH nicer to read :)

Of note - I have put a LOT of attention to animals, so there are quite a few creatures being trained (and reverting to wild, generating a pausing announcement) and I also queued up 20 assignments for capturing live animals (to get some vermin into cages). If allowed to continue, those vermin will eventually need to be tamed and made available for adoption. The real animals being trained are mostly warfare capable (Jabberers/Rutherers) and would provide a LOT of value to front line defenses. Last I heard, War Jabberers will annihilate anything in their way.

EDIT: I also just checked, and Great Horned Owls/Wolves are NOT elegible for specialized training. If need be, their domestication can be cancelled.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:22:59 pm by CognitiveDissonance »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 31, 2013, 02:59:28 pm »

I always disable pauses for animals reverting to wild state, I have yet to see any dwarf being harmed by it.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 100