Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385714 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Volcano of Accidental Burials (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #600 on: May 31, 2013, 03:58:14 pm »

I should have suspected something when I saw the forest was still on fire.

Why on earth would that be suspicious? The forest is always on fire.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 31, 2013, 04:03:35 pm »

I should have suspected something when I saw the forest was still on fire.

Not until the right levers are pulled.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 31, 2013, 06:42:49 pm »

Well I finished all the IRL stuff I needed to do for today. Of course, a bunch of things just came back up, but I can't really do anything more about them over the weekend than I've already done.

Where was I? Back to the fortress of Moltenchannels, which is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
for Dwarf Fortress.

Was it the Archwiseard? Chapter II: I'm Back

Fortress Log of Captain Archmage II, Archwiseard, new Overlord of Moltenchannels
1st Granite 1089

I'm back in charge of the metropolis of Moltenchannels. Three years ago, I left a fortress in reasonable shape, and my previous spirit vessel was in good shape. Today, the fortress has grown somewhat, but the Baron is dead, and a few disasters eliminated a good number of dwarves, including my original vessel. Fortunately, my original vessel received the burial it deserved, in the tomb I designed personally.

Despite the complete failure to the lava-based superweapons I constructed, invaders have been wiped off the map by considerable environmental instability. It appears that volcanic activity in the area is increasing, and it has brought along new denizens from the fiery oceans of the depths.

The year of 1092 was subject to a new kind of attempt at fortress development with two competing ideas for fortress development. The fortress went along with CognitiveDissonance's plans, which did not involve the completion of the mega-reactor close to the surface, but produced a slightly more complete tower and retained surplus power for using the lava weapon. For some reason, both ideas pointed to the death of the Urist McDonald, but CognitiveDissonance's plans delayed the arrival of the vampire queen.

Yes, our fortress has met the criteria for becoming the mountainhome, and I'm expecting the arrival of a vampire queen in the fortress.

The settlement of New Townbrush has survived, as has its militia captain (leader of a re-organized militia). Given the size of the fortress, I need to build a new plumbing and transport network. This fortress has gone on far too long without automation playing a part in the lives of the average citizen. We need rails!

I also see we have finally claimed some Adamantine from the depths. There is far more to be mined, though. Based on my earlier divining, I have determined a special object in one of the caverns, and I aim to claim it.

Plans and goals aside, we're going to start this year by pressurizing the weapon!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 31, 2013, 07:04:04 pm »

I'm going to put this line somewhere safe for a little bit.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 31, 2013, 11:44:26 pm »

I also see we have finally claimed some Adamantine from the depths. There is far more to be mined, though. Based on my earlier divining, I have determined a special object in one of the caverns, and I aim to claim it.

Ooh, we have one of those? I've never encountered one before and completely failed to notice it. Should make for interesting write-ups....far better than a mere accidental breaching of the Fun. :)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 01, 2013, 07:33:37 am »

Ooh, we have one of those? I've never encountered one before and completely failed to notice it. Should make for interesting write-ups....far better than a mere accidental breaching of the Fun. :)

I knew about it previous and I did mention it. Nobody breached the depths though besides me, and that was just because of a stairwell. Nobody has set foot on the ground of that cavern.

As far as I can see, we have two adamantine spires and there's the [CLASSIFIED_INFORMATION].

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 01, 2013, 05:31:13 pm »

Current goals are to design a road. I have the downward leg into the bottom cavern layer designated, but I need to find a way to take a road up to the surface. The idea is that Moltenchannels will have road access to all layers. The lever to activate the lava weapon has been marked for pulling, but the job went to someone on the surface. Its a long way down to New Townbrush.

Designing a minecart system is easier in that not much space is needed, but harder in that we may need to connect up power. This is mostly design, and then letting the game run so stuff gets done.

I've made sure the entrance in the middle cavern layer has been built, but I want to strengthen the defences. The bridge has not been connected to a lever, and we may have a forgotten beast busting through the doors soon.

When the section road to the depths is finished, I'm going to fortify it a bit and try to capture the large spider down there, for a renewable source of silk. Afterwards, I'm going to send an expedition to the
. Any questions?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:38:16 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 02, 2013, 04:18:34 am »

I got one. How's the military looking these days (Numbers, skills, equipment)?

(And how's Urist McKiwi III going?)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 02, 2013, 05:42:09 am »

Go ahead and keep the alternate turn. Looking back, I don't think mine was that good.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 02, 2013, 09:37:53 am »

I got one. How's the military looking these days (Numbers, skills, equipment)?

(And how's Urist McKiwi III going?)

When I said capture the spider, I meant for the forgotten beast zoo. Do we have any giant cave spiders in cages? I haven't seen any.

Personal journal, fortress inspection. Still 1st Granite 1093.

We're going to go about capturing that spider in the depths. Its not going to be caged, but we need to get it to a specially designed room to harvest the silk. I'm going to have that room carved out, but firstly, I need to have some roads built. Roads, we do not have enough roads! The standard road width is 2 and 1/3 wagons, but we're going to have some trouble getting a full width exit to the depths.

There are some captive rutherers, and someone's also taming the crundles. They're actually using plump helmet stew and forgotten beast meat for that purpose.

There is a ridiculous amount of traffic regarding taming the crundles. I've noticed people feeding the animals things like forgotten beast meat and plump helmet stew. I think its time to re-assess everyone's employment.

Edit: Why the FUCK has nobody put the boar on a pasture where he can eat? Also we have dwarves dying of old age. That almost never happens in these succession games.

Some buffoons have left a boar in a cage. These things do need to eat. I strongly suspect the yak skeleton I found lying one of the corridors didn't have enough to eat either.

We're also having our citizens die off from old age. In this fortress, that is an achievement. R.I.P. Dodók Ònulallas, Butcher.

You can create fortifications by building normal walls and carving fortifications into them. This is better because they retain a walk-able floor on top.

A few changes to architecture have forced me to do some re-designs. People have been building fortifications instead of walls, which do not have any walk-able space on top. Why? We can just have our engravers carve the fortifications into the walls. We also need to start building our walls with proper blocks, not with these boulders, of all things. Boulders!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:08:46 am by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 02, 2013, 01:40:37 pm »

Journal of the Archwiseard, 8th Granite 1093

We have a serious situation on our hands. After I finalised the plans for the road, we were alerted to a goblin ambush walking into a cage trap to the south east of the fortress. They are lead by some humans. I immediately raised the alert to Level 7 - all civilians remain on the main island or underground.

I opened the drawbridge to the west, which is for some reason operated by the "Right Far Bridge" lever. That's OK, I make that mistake all the time.

The Dead Armours are been stationed on the fortress island just behind the door. They seem to have the best equipment.

Meanwhile, the miller finishes his trek underground and pulls the intake lever, and the Shroud of Armok's barrel loads up with magma. We now have fire on demand, if the operators get to the lever fast enough.

A few goblin marksdwarves walk into the traps, and get skewered. One of the traps jams, but there are many more. These have 10 weapons in each, and there are four rows of them. A few things fall into the moat, and burn up. Finally, the human leader walks into the traps, and gets skewered. He manages to get out right into the middle of the bridge before bleeding out. There are now some goblins with swords waiting around the bridge, and another marksgoblin got skewered. Hopefully we can get rid of them before there is more trouble.

In the mid-caverns, the rough gabbro bridge gets demolished and a new Orthoclase block one is going in. I hope the doors hold back the towering iguana creature, though they haven't taken any damage yet. We also have progress on the road to the depths, I hope we're not going to breach the cavern wall prematurely.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 02, 2013, 02:26:08 pm »

I've put together a large .png of the battle so far. I'm going to try to improve post quality significantly by using these. Let me know if the design and colo(u)r format is OK for you.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 02, 2013, 03:31:09 pm »

Journal of the Archwiseard, 11th Granite 1093, continued

The ambush is over. The goblin problem was serious because we're expecting the queen, so I ordered The Blockaded Arches to the surface to clean up the survivors. Some dwarves tried to clean the traps, but did not do anything stupid. One lead a surviving goblin swordsdwarf into the trapped corridor, who bled out as AnimaRytak walked by to clean up another device. A marksdwarf arrived, and took a few shots at the swordsgoblins, injuring them. However, I had to have UristMcKiwi III go out to finish off the last ones. At least one fled the area. I'm a bit bothered by the excessive use of steel bolts, since steel is essential for other weapons, but we had those bolts and the dwarves used them.

I'm going to have dwarves clean up the corridor to claim some of the items, but I won't take too many risks while we have things like forgotten beasts in the caverns.

I looked at a tabulation of jobs dwarves were doing, and I realised one of our carpenters and some of our woodcutters are doing mining work. That has now changed, they will be doing wood-cutting and the fisherdwarves will be taking over their mining.

I also saw what some of the metalsmiths were doing, and ordered them to stop making things like rose gold sarcophagi and aluminium crutches until a proper inventory was done on them. Its not so much an issue for items made out of rock or wood, but metal is important. I had to check the job order list twice just to get the crutches of the list. We got some very high-quality crutches and they are very light, so I think we have a good supply now.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 02, 2013, 05:02:28 pm »

Next up: Where do we put those minecarts? Improvements to fortress power generation. Possible migrants. This is going to take a while, but I want to do it well.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 02, 2013, 07:26:26 pm »

Pigs aren't in pastures because pigs don't graze.

That big reactor I put up needs a serious redesign. It doesn't produce nearly the power it should. I'm not sure where I mis-calculated it. I think it needs some more pumps, but I don't know where. I typically only use small reactors of two-five wheels.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 100