Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383804 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Queen of Blood - 39,686 Kills (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #675 on: June 18, 2013, 08:38:07 pm »

Hmm. It might actually be a good idea to purge the fortress with magma. Given this stuff causes organ failure it's a lot more serious than it looked earlier...

Alternatively, we could pump water up to the top of the hospital tower then drain it out through the hospital into the caverns, hopefully taking the contamination with it.

This will kill everything inside the area. Also, the hospital water supply was eliminated because it was a breeding ground for flies and all manner of disgusting micro-organisms, along with the residue of used bathwater.

UPDATE: Listening to Mozart and orchestrating the rise of this fortress is awesome. Even better when some goblin heads are rolling.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:40:34 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 19, 2013, 05:36:58 am »

Disgusting micro-organisms? I thought all the elves had left already?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 19, 2013, 10:46:55 pm »

I think he means the dwarves. :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #678 on: June 19, 2013, 11:41:49 pm »

They're breeding in the hospital? I thought they had at least SOME standards.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 20, 2013, 02:07:38 am »

They're breeding in the hospital? I thought they had at least SOME standards.

Nice to see you people talking about clean things. Yes, both elves and dwarves could have been walking through a clean space with beds, tables, and soap.

The hospital holds the award for "filthiest place in Moltenchannels". There is a pile of rotted-out goblins in there, which have not been touched because of the toxicity of the fluids in the area. There is vomit, pus, and the blood of many, many creatures, including the blister-inducing blood from Neca Suckerwaste. The place is going to be deactivated, no questions asked. I'd purge the place with magma, but I don't have a long enough hose yet.

@Elves: When framerates are so low, and the traders refuse to buy any bins, and the broker has sold them a metric fuckton of old clothing and other items, its going to take a while before they leave.

Edit: The amount of trash piled up outside is so large it will take multiple forest fires to clear it out. There are a lot of XXbucketsXX out there which haven't been destroyed by the fires. We might as well wall the place off and have the dwarves manually haul the unwanted items to the volcano.

I can also confirm we're being hit by the "large units list means few migrants" bug.

Edit2: The elves were traded some clothing covered in Neca Suckerwaste's forgotten beast blood. Hopefully it won't wash off before they are out of here....
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:23:32 am by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Dark Towers of Blistering (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #680 on: June 21, 2013, 10:50:55 pm »

Transcript of the presentation of [Name obscured on engraving], Head of Migrant Welcoming Party to the dwarven migrants arriving in Moltenchannels the Leaky Ardent Dike in Spring, 1093.

Welcome to Moltenchannels, migrants! I see there aren't many of you this time. Guess the piles of caged zombies in the living areas puts people off. No matter, welcome to the mountainhome!

Careful as you use the drawbridge, we've got a nice little magma moat going here and the place is piled high with bloody garbage everywhere, so don't trip and fall in. Last time someone did that we could hear the screaming all the way from- What's that? Oh, the smoke. That's the semi-annual forest fire. You'll get used to 'em. Just try not to be outside when one sweeps through or you'll end up in the hospital. You don't want to end up in the hospital.

Here's the courtyard. Over there we have our patented mass-disposal system for corpses! We can dump hundreds of undead corpses into the volcano every day with this thing. Good thing too, because the last time it broke we ended up with mountains of rotting corpses down in the farms! And you know what they say about rotting corpses....they stink. Ahhh.....the smell. You'll get used to that as well. It never really goes away.

Now down here is your local McUrists. Our old Count set up the restaurant chain before he was brutally killed. Mad as a goddamned brush, but he cooked a nice tallow biscuit. See those kids? Up until a week ago they were the size of babies. That wierd chap who's running things these days did a little hocus-pocus and they grew full-sized in about 5 seconds. Nice party trick, actually. Apparently hurts like hell, but at least they can swing an axe now. You're not cheesemakers are you? Our military is always looking for more people to fight the next monstrosity that crawls up the bloody drain. And here's our queen. Don't get too close, or she'll drain of blood in under a minute. She's a vamp. Don't know how the King copes with it, but there's a few rumors you can be executed for spreading about the subject.

Down those stairs we've got our cavern enclaves and the best dining room. They're....a bit unsafe right now, ungodly horrors and all that, but we'll show you around them a little later. Over here is the walled off patch of death. See that blood? It'll...oh dear, you've touched it. Let's get you to the hospital.

...Hang on, where did I leave my waders?

Ah, here we are. The hospital. Mind the rotting bodies and pus rivers. They're ornamental, I swear. Now, let's see if we can get some help here....everything's covered in that same blood from earlier, so it's a little dicey. What's that? Blisters? Yes, that's a common symptom before the organ failure kicks in. Organ failure? I meant sneezing. Really nasty sneezing. Now if you'll excuse me I'll just leave you here and head over to the decontamination shower.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Was gonna do this after Archmage's turn, but his description of the hospital is too good to waste. I love the fact that entering our hospital is pretty much a death sentence to anyone not in full protective gear.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 22, 2013, 01:09:02 am »

I've realised that:

1) Anything that goes crawling or bends over on a tile with the blood will get blood on every body part.

2) So when dwarves pick items out of a chest covered in blood, they get it over every body part.

3) When you de-activate a hospital zone, dwarves clear all the items out of the chests.

4) This means that shutting down the hospital will itself result in more casualties, unless the items are forbidden and the place gets sealed off permanently.

We also traded some blood-stained items to the elves.

There is another hospital to the Southwest, and that one is used as a barracks. I'm still shutting it down.

tl;dr: Like the walking corpses raised by necromancers, the hospital keeps coming back to infect dwarves with some horrifying syndrome that blisters them all over. It is actually guaranteed to kill off dwarves if it is shut down more than if it is not. The very act of shutting this thing down will induce casualties, and unlike walking corpses it doesn't need a necromancer to keep on going.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:14:01 am by CaptainArchmage »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 22, 2013, 03:47:36 am »

I've realised that:

1) Anything that goes crawling or bends over on a tile with the blood will get blood on every body part.

2) So when dwarves pick items out of a chest covered in blood, they get it over every body part.

3) When you de-activate a hospital zone, dwarves clear all the items out of the chests.

4) This means that shutting down the hospital will itself result in more casualties, unless the items are forbidden and the place gets sealed off permanently.

We also traded some blood-stained items to the elves.

There is another hospital to the Southwest, and that one is used as a barracks. I'm still shutting it down.

tl;dr: Like the walking corpses raised by necromancers, the hospital keeps coming back to infect dwarves with some horrifying syndrome that blisters them all over. It is actually guaranteed to kill off dwarves if it is shut down more than if it is not. The very act of shutting this thing down will induce casualties, and unlike walking corpses it doesn't need a necromancer to keep on going.
Lock the door, wall it off and wait until it can be purged?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 22, 2013, 04:57:35 am »

Says something about the fortress when you realize I didn't know we even HAD a hospital until you started mentioning the contamination. Admittedly, I'm not sure WHAT it says, but there you go.

This is one reason I always build my hospitals with a flushing mechanism. In this case, I'd do something like a two z high tank the same size as the hospital, with multiple hatches in the corners, so that everything is flushed to a central drain, and down into a drying room.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 22, 2013, 07:07:55 am »

Says something about the fortress when you realize I didn't know we even HAD a hospital until you started mentioning the contamination. Admittedly, I'm not sure WHAT it says, but there you go.

This is one reason I always build my hospitals with a flushing mechanism. In this case, I'd do something like a two z high tank the same size as the hospital, with multiple hatches in the corners, so that everything is flushed to a central drain, and down into a drying room.

There is a tank on top of the hospital. It was converted into living accommodation for two legendary or near-legendary dwarves. Decor includes stains of some random dwarf's blood.

Or, it was a room that can be converted into a tank. I don't know. The trouble is there are floor grates and a well which means whether we use water or lava to flush the place, it may cause a large number of casualties.

Because we're affected by the units list totally over 1000, I'm going to use the modified clear-dead-units hack. It should allow us 189 more units. We may be able to adapt the script to get rid of dwarf corpses which came in with the necromancers. The modified hack allows me to restore the unit list. To solve the problem permanently, we'll need a binary patch.

Edit: You don't have to link this as I will be putting it into a report, but there's one final goblin ambush squad where the human leader has walked into a cage trap. Not sure if they'll be leaving now.

Edit2: Yes they are! Goblins with pikes fleeing the area, abandoning their human leader within the confines of a cage. Said human leader will likely remain in the cage until facing down our finest soldiers in glorious battle within the arena.

Sneak preview!

"I found the cleaner hanging around in the armor stockpile, doing absolutely nothing. I told him to help clean up the trash on the surface that I've designated for dumping. You’re a cleaner. You had one job. You aren’t doing any job."

Edit3: Moltenchannels may have just hit #1 in terms of political corruption.

Edit4: Freak minecart accident knocks Meng Rirnöläs off the track. No idea how. Minor injuries sustained. Reactivated non-contaminated hospital. Migrants come in, looks like DFhack has not helped the number of migrants arriving. We're up to 187 dwarves. First attempt at outer wall nearly complete. New gate.

Edit5: Accident happened because cart is set to "ride east". It turned out Meng was on the track and the cart was ridden east, which caused the accident. Medical care seems to be in progress now.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 11:35:03 am by CaptainArchmage »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 22, 2013, 05:26:50 pm »

Udib overlooked from a distance the arrival of the new migrants. A small ragged group of starved and frightened faces. The Queen walked upon him, with a majestic yet hungry stare of disappointment. All the dwarves tried to stay out of her sight, Udib being one of the few that didn't seem uncomfortable with her.

"What is this, priest? Moltenchannels was meant to become the new Mountainhome, yet these last seasons it barely attracted a few desperate wretches. We demand this to change."

"My Queen... it is my belief, occult forces have concentrated in this place to such a degree that even dull creatures like these dwarves can perceive it and are repelled away. Then, among those that still go ahead, many have to turn around due to the forest fires the underworld has been setting off."

"We know. What do you intend to do about this? For us to seize control of this location while fencing away our enemies, we decidedly need a stronger force."

"Ah... well, we can't afford to send a expedition to bring more dwarves by force, even if we could break through the enemy camps and undead hordes hiding around us. The only choice is... to seal the source of the dark aura."

"We are curious --are Udib's arts proficient enough to manage that feat?"

"*cough* I'm afraid... not quite, my Queen. It can be done, but not without severely weakening these dark forces first, at least for long enough to set up the seal. It's a double edged sword, though, for if we fail to weaken them..."

"... McDuck?"

"A certain death awaits us."

"Death doesn't concern us, as you may know --but, of course, it may end being inflicted on this fortress either way, if it can't satisfy our will."

"I understand."

"Then, go forth with the preparations. Find the source of the dark aura and bring it under control, so we can strengthen the Mountainhomes until it becomes the uncontested power of this world."

"Your wish is my command, my Queen"
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 22, 2013, 05:28:07 pm »

PS. You could try to tackle the unit limit issue by a... more direct method, if you wish. :P
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 22, 2013, 07:13:54 pm »

PS. You could try to tackle the unit limit issue by a... more direct method, if you wish. :P

Didn't Ardentdikes have a trapped entrance with an automated crusher that kept killing people? :P

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 22, 2013, 10:34:26 pm »

This would not work. The trouble is after your fortress population goes above 1000 in total units - including the units that have died - the number of migrants is massively reduced to no more than 10. It reduces gradually after that until above 3000 units and you don't get any migrants at all. I had about 8-10 migrants with the latest wave and I want to see whether the remaining ones are the same.

tl;dr: This is a serious game bug and we can't solve it just by throwing kittens and dwarves under the atom smasher. All I can do is DFhack the problem, by a binary patch (I don't really do not know how to do that), or by hoping the scripts to unload the dead units from the list works. If it does, we will be OK.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 23, 2013, 04:21:03 pm »

An outer wall has been constructed, though the gate remains open until caravans finish moving in and out of it. I've counted the unicorn population - we have 22 unicorns. The Vampire Queen is beginning to seek dwarves for blood, so I may send her to the arena now.

The minecart track has been set to "Guide back only". Despite being an elevated track leading into the volcano with only way on and off, some dwarves seem to like taking a walk there. When faced with a minecart, they:

1) Dive off the side down the deep drop.

2) Get hit by the minecart and then fall down the deep drop.

Despite having multiple compound fractures and requiring surgery, the doctors have called the injuries minor.

Some dwarves seem to like taking wheelbarrows outside the fortress and then leaving them in ridiculous places. I don't know why.

Edit: Good news! Based on my use of DFhack to check the dwarf unit sizes, we have few morbidly obese dwarves, despite the kind of food made by Urist McDonald. In fact, a lot of dwarves are average in size, and some are "tall and skinny". This also means the chances of surviving vampire feeding are lower. Faster military, greater risk of losing your dwarves to vampires.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:41:05 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 100