Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 383805 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The Escher Fortress (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1200 on: April 18, 2014, 09:59:35 pm »

Right. So, I'm draining reactor Beta, and once I have that done, I'm going to modify the pump setup and see if that fixes the issue.

The Humans have been around, trading for a while, but between the fact that we're still moving things to the depot, and the fact that our trader is busy doing other things, including making Rock Blocks, I'm unsure if we'll be able to make any profits. I've orded him to stop doing any masonry, along with the rest of our miners. Hopefully that'll get some of this mining done. On the other hand, it is now Autumn, so we're edging closer to the end of the year.

Set the depot up so anyone can trade, that should help! There’s plenty of items in the trade depot. Usually I get gems and bars. Native platinum blocks or boulders are things we could really use more of too (for smelting platinum bars or minecart-inserted warheads).

EDIT: While you’re at it could you please take a look at what is in our prepared meals and post the screenshot? I’m just curious as to whether there have been any improvements over “Masterfully minced cat tallow, masterfully minced forgotten beast tripe, masterfully minced dwarven syrup, and masterfully minced dwarven syrup”.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:04:09 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 19, 2014, 01:26:00 am »

What's wrong with cat tallow? It's healthy and keeps our kitten population down.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 19, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »

It seems that there was never an opportunity to trade. The merchants left before our trader got there. Oh well.

Reactor Beta has been stabilized at 400 units of power. This was accomplished by placing a pump to the side, drawing water from the drain area. In order to accomplish this, the fortification was sealed using DFHack to fill it with Obsidian, and one block was placed to stop a leak. The reactor could produce more power,but it would require further redesign. Shutting down the reactor is now a matter of closing the drain lever, which will cut off income to the pump. Causing the reactor to power down on it's own. Opening the gate should cause sufficient flow to re-engage the pump. I recommend not trying to fill the reactor any further with the pump lest it stabilize at 7/7 and stop working. I did have to use DFHack to reduce the amount of water to make it work.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 20, 2014, 12:24:53 am »

It seems that there was never an opportunity to trade. The merchants left before our trader got there. Oh well.

Reactor Beta has been stabilized at 400 units of power. This was accomplished by placing a pump to the side, drawing water from the drain area. In order to accomplish this, the fortification was sealed using DFHack to fill it with Obsidian, and one block was placed to stop a leak. The reactor could produce more power,but it would require further redesign. Shutting down the reactor is now a matter of closing the drain lever, which will cut off income to the pump. Causing the reactor to power down on it's own. Opening the gate should cause sufficient flow to re-engage the pump. I recommend not trying to fill the reactor any further with the pump lest it stabilize at 7/7 and stop working. I did have to use DFHack to reduce the amount of water to make it work.

1. What difference does this make to how much of the fortress machinery we can power?

&

2. Can you try to work out what the machinery/channel thing is in the Southeast corner of the fort? Just beside the bismuth bridge across the moat. It was unfinished when I took the fort (and never got finished), but I believe it's some form of weapon. If it is (or if it's something worth using), it might be worth seeing if it's operational or not. EDIT: I mean, besides possibly having several holes in it. It'd also be good to check for those.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 20, 2014, 08:48:10 am »

1) It means we that the system could be adjusted to provide more power, and we can tap another 300 or so power units and potentially run the water lift at the same time as the magma cannon. I'm not sure how far away the two systems are, though, so I'm not sure how much additional power it contributes. I'll look at it more closely.

2) That's another one of mine. It was the original barrel for a magma cannon. I wanted to power that and pump magma up out of the moat to defend the southern side of the fortress. There were enemies hiding down there that none of the military could hit, so I wanted to burn them or chase them out of the area. Only one leak as far as I can tell. Just needs to have power provided, and a pump on the upper level to dump magma over the side. Does not seem to be terribly necessary though. The Shroud does the same job and provides better coverage.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 20, 2014, 11:02:20 am »

The idea was to let the water stabilise at 7/7 and then seal the chamber. This is an infiniflow reactor, not a standard dwarven water reactor, which provides massive FPS savings. The principle is that once there is a source of water and a drain (to a lower z-level), the water connected between those two points is considered to be flowing even at 7/7. This is how river flow works. This continues even when the drain is actually cut off.

The fortification had a floodgate to close it off, actually.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 21, 2014, 06:51:06 am »

That... would be fine, if this was a river. Since it's not, it obviously wasn't working. So now it's a basic reactor instead. As for the floodgate, it will still shut down the reactor, but with the tiny design of the water tub, there was no room to use the normal method, so the pump draws out of the drain area. Since the drain wasn't doing any good I just sealed it.

Edit: It would take 90 power to connect reactor beta to the same connection as reactor alpha. Interestingly, the power from the reactor is not stable. It fluctuates from 400-700. So it could provide enough power to run both the water and magma at the same time. I don't have enough year left to do the necessary sealing because it'd breach a cavern to connect.

The rest of the world is progressing nicely. One of our wood workers has been possessed, though I've not seen him since I received the report. He hasn't claimed a workshop yet, though he might by trying to find one. I can't find them, so it's not a surprise. I just hope we get something better as an artifact.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:38:12 am by Triaxx2 »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 21, 2014, 08:51:25 am »

That... would be fine, if this was a river. Since it's not, it obviously wasn't working. So now it's a basic reactor instead. As for the floodgate, it will still shut down the reactor, but with the tiny design of the water tub, there was no room to use the normal method, so the pump draws out of the drain area. Since the drain wasn't doing any good I just sealed it.

Edit: It would take 90 power to connect reactor beta to the same connection as reactor alpha. Interestingly, the power from the reactor is not stable. It fluctuates from 400-700. So it could provide enough power to run both the water and magma at the same time. I don't have enough year left to do the necessary sealing because it'd breach a cavern to connect.

The rest of the world is progressing nicely. One of our wood workers has been possessed, though I've not seen him since I received the report. He hasn't claimed a workshop yet, though he might by trying to find one. I can't find them, so it's not a surprise. I just hope we get something better as an artifact.

If you take a look at reactor Alpha in the lower caverns, you will see it is currently in an infiniflow state. It doesn’t actually need to be a river to work.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 21, 2014, 10:42:39 am »

Either way, Beta is now working.
Here's the screen shot of the meals: http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/Triaxx2/MoltenChannelsPreparedMeals_zps3f0fc683.jpg

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 21, 2014, 11:38:12 am »

Either way, Beta is now working.
Here's the screen shot of the meals: http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll274/Triaxx2/MoltenChannelsPreparedMeals_zps3f0fc683.jpg

*puts on monocle*
Looks like the quality has improved significantly since I was overseer!

Maybe we should see the full ingredients list though.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 21, 2014, 04:06:15 pm »

I'll have a look. We're a little low on meat, so I've ordered some more butchering.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 27, 2014, 07:21:52 pm »

So, first of all, we have a new artifact. WatchRecluse, an Alder Chair

I've managed to trade for a fair amount of meat, and some fish, as well as plants, and some steel bars and a few weapons. I also snapped up some thread, and a few toys to be melted down. Besides that, nothing of interest turns up before winter begins. Reports to follow.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 27, 2014, 09:35:42 pm »

Alas, Photobucket doesn't work with my blend of browser plugins...but I'll guess it's a nice chair. Can probably be used to keep peeps happy by putting it near a chokepoint.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 29, 2014, 05:56:18 pm »

Nearly two months have passed with nothing interesting happening. The upper floors, it seems are mostly completed now. There are still a few places which have yet to have any attention paid to them. It's a little frustrating that I won't be in charge long enough to see the place completed, but I've left behind enough blocks for the next administrator to continue the project. A little over one month to go. Ah, almost done.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 01, 2014, 04:45:45 pm »

Nothing much has occurred as my term draws to an end. I've assembled my notes for the new overseer and they are as follows:

Minecart based Volcano Corpse dump system status: Repaired, needed nothing more than a new stop installed.
Reactor Beta status: Patched. Does not function as designed, so alternate plan was implemented. Further repairs may be necessary.
Block Project status: Drowning. A massive set of 26 Masonry workshops are set on level 133. They are busily churning out blocks for the furthering of the indecipherable construction plans laid out by my predecessor. Not all workshops are functional for various reasons. Some additional maintenance might be required.

Strange moods: One Rope Reed Rope, one Alder Chair, and as of the end of the year, an artifact is under construction. It's based on Adamantine, though, so it should be valuable. I'll leave a note for the new administrator to repost descriptions of the artifacts.

So, the pealing of the bells tells me that my term is over. It's been a long year, and I must admit that I'm glad to see this place pass on to a new overseer. I feel that we're doing well, and I hope it continues. Then again, that's no FUN, so...

---

Fortress Save Forthcoming tonight:The Save
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:16:07 am by Triaxx2 »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 100