Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 385331 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On Ardentdikes, McDuck murdered enough dwarves during rages that he became an enemy of our civ, even though he kept being voted as mayor. Even our one-dwarf blazing-fast death-storm Urist Tomesglades ran away scared from him. We had to confine him inside a small section of the fortress because he would have murdered the whole fort otherwise.

You know what, migrant?  Why don't you hold on to this warrant and, you know, maybe slide it under the Mayor's door when you get a second.  Thanks, man.    Never open the door though, no matter what he says.  Hmm?  Well, because he's actually more of a mass-murdering, psycho enemy of our civilization than a mayor.  But his mandates are quite reasonable.  Politicians, am I right?  Ha ha ha!  Seriously, don't open that fucking door, migrant.

Yeah, I know that, but still. Sealing him in another dimension seems a little harsh. I mean, what's a little murdering between friends?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Update's a little delayed: Had a bad week and got behind on coursework. Should be able to resume playing in a day or two. Then it's on to the game of "how long before the lever gets pulled".

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We just had a forgotten beast get in. A lone bowdwarf killed it with a sword on the first hit. Not a bad fight.

It's been nearly two months since I gave the orders for the levers to be pulled. One out of three have actually been pulled. The next one will either set the outside on fire, or flood the fortress. Our main dining room is a cloud of miasma. The caverns have mysteriously flooded, and threaten to flood the lower fortress (this isn't a good thing: the magma levers are down there). A peasant has been stuck on "Attend meeting" for no apparent reason all year. I keep finding more an more tunnels under the walls from the last turn. No wonder we died out: This place is about as insecure as it's possible to be.

I'll give it another month. After that I'll cancel all labors and order them to dismantle the housing for the Shroud of Armok. It won't be as effective as the full purge function....but it should work well enough.

Edit: Also, they're still pushing the corpse-minecart. Apparently it actually killed off poor Meng.
Edit2: More madness. Second lever pulled. Exterior of fortress now on fire. Moving a squad up to the towers so they can watch.
Edit3: Dwarf (Sebastian2203) decides to go looking outside for new clothes on bodies. Decides carrying giant rock while doing so is excellent idea. Notices giant forest fire. Thinks "There must be socks in there!" and goes for it. Realises mistake, drops rock and dodges the flames. Runs ~5-10 metres then decides to have a nap. Gentlepersons, I think we have our Most Stupid Death of the Succession.
Edit4: Apparently all our dwarves are pathing through the caverns because someone opened up multiple routes through them without having a way to shut them off. I'm going to have to break the Shroud, I think.
Edit5: On the other hand, a child grew up, so that's one more chance to pull the damned lever. Come on, guys! Pull it!
Edit6: I'll update again later today. I think I broke the Shroud.
Edit7: I did...in the least lethal way possible. Update postponed for a bit because of coursework. It'll be a few days. Fire has gone out because of rain.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 02:40:28 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know I built a bridge to stop those Shenanigans. Not my fault if no one remembered to link it. Of course any other holes aren't my problem.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bridges wouldn't help anyway: it takes months to get a lever pulled.

Also it's worth noting that things have gotten so bad that even incinerating the fortress is looking increasingly impossible. And we're still open to the outside, somehow. So the next siege will kill us, or the next titan, or the next FB, or just insanity. In the meantime, Udib has decided to become a brewer. Good thing to, because we're almost out of drinks.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could assign one dwarf to a burrow containing only the lever you know.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could assign one dwarf to a burrow containing only the lever you know.

I did attempt that. It didn't work. The game is really bugging out. might try it again though just to see if I can get it running properly.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the meantime, Udib has decided to become a brewer. Good thing to, because we're almost out of drinks.

Least they can do is not to go through the fortress collapse while sober. :P

Did Udib pull any of the levers in the little temple?
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the meantime, Udib has decided to become a brewer. Good thing to, because we're almost out of drinks.

Least they can do is not to go through the fortress collapse while sober. :P

Did Udib pull any of the levers in the little temple?

Nope. Storing dead bodies and their crap in neat piles instead of doing priesty things like killing everyone. I'm going to have to reset labors I think.....by hand, since I don't have Therapist. Writing this up is going to require some.....departure from reality. :P

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright then. Update time. I've been a bit blindsided by crappiness and depression IRL so I haven't played as much as I'd like. Fortunately it looks like things are getting better, so I've been able to get back into playing the save. I won't do this one IC (I'll save that for the final final update when everyone's dead).

Date is currently 15th Felsite.

-I broke the shroud, and I think the magma reservoir is empty for now.Attempts to dig into the volcano have failed.
-I have since repaired the shroud
-Udib has decided that stacking things up is more important than mining through to the volcano. Mining is literally the only labor he has enabled.
-A small group of soldiers have holed up in McDonald's old tower and are trying to get a basic farm going. They will be our "survivors". Urist McKiwi V is (I hope) making for the levers once he realises that he's burrowed there. I'd hoped to get him up to the tower, but he didn't make it before the lockdown. So on his death his previously appointed successor will take up the mantle of Urist McKiwi VI.
-Massive goblin seige arrived a few days ago. No chance of mounting a defense. Unfortunately (for them) they chose to come in through the trap corridor. Much screaming and maiming and burning in magma and death was had by all.

Current summary:

1. We are still boned.
2. Udib is a lazy jerk who doesn't like killing everyone.
3. Our trap corridor is keeping the fortress secure for now, which is a good thing because I can't get the drawbridge closed.
4. Assuming I can get a basic farm going in the tower, we will have "survivors" to name and take into the next fort. One will be McKiwi VI, but I think there's 3 others and a ghost as well.
5. We've also got an insane vampire walled into a cell, but he's not going anywhere.
6. With luck, I will get the Shroud operational again and able to destroy the fortress by the end of the year. Otherwise...well...it's going to be a bit anticlimactic.

EDIT: Nevermind. The goblins have broken in through another tunnel I didn't know about (dammit NotQuiteThere, how many of those did you dig? I've lost count of how many breaches I've sealed so far). This may end sooner than I thought.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:01:49 pm by Urist McKiwi »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile

Well, those forgotten beasts weren't going to kill themselves. Well, maybe Mr-fly-into-my-own-boiling-spit-Stongum might have. Compromising the entire security of the fort to defeat some monsters that weren't posing any real threat was what Cutey believed in.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, those forgotten beasts weren't going to kill themselves. Well, maybe Mr-fly-into-my-own-boiling-spit-Stongum might have. Compromising the entire security of the fort to defeat some monsters that weren't posing any real threat was what Cutey believed in.

Yes, we haven't really had the cream of the crop when it comes to FBs....most of them have been pretty lame. But yeah. I'll try to throw the levers, and roleplay the results.

Edit: And if I can't throw the levers.....well.....I'll also roleplay the results. It'll be interesting to see what happens. I genuinely don't know, and with my current framerate it'll take a while to find out.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:46:29 am by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Last one alive, pull down the levers (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1407 on: August 19, 2014, 05:21:29 am »

I think 0.40 may be stable enough by the end of the turn, so Ardentdikes III may be started while Moltenchannels' reclaims are played out -- if there's a circus leak on Moltenchannels, then it's Ardentdikes III' job to dig down and defeat the clowns. :P
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 20, 2014, 02:17:32 am »

I think 0.40 may be stable enough by the end of the turn, so Ardentdikes III may be started while Moltenchannels' reclaims are played out -- if there's a circus leak on Moltenchannels, then it's Ardentdikes III' job to dig down and defeat the clowns. :P

Sounds good to me. I've been a bit delayed with this turn: final coursework for the term has come up and bogged me down a bit. However from this weekend I've got two lovely weeks free, so I should be able to get this finally over and done with then. I have three possible options for ending this:

1. Levers are pulled, the 4 survivors in Count McDonald's tower escape the fortress and flee. McDuck is deemed "slightly more sealed, for now".
2. Levers are not pulled, 4 survivors in Count McDonald's tower escape and flee. McDuck is on verge of breakthrough, and reclaim is designed to allow for that.
3. Levers are not pulled. 4 survivors go down and pull them. NONE SURVIVE.

Edit: Whichever ending works, it should be possible to access the fortress through the trap corridor....and through the last unsealed breach. So the reclaim will not involve breaching our own walls.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 05:52:56 am by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 20, 2014, 06:20:04 am »

I'm in favor of 3.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 100