Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Archtomb- A Masterwork Succession Fort - We're back in action!  (Read 16066 times)

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

This is a Masterwork Succession Fort. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with mods and bugfixes. This object menaces with spikes of raws. On the item is the image of dwarves in Phoebus tileset. The dwarves are laboring. The artwork relates to the founding of Archtomb in the early spring of 101. On the item is the image of Ingtak Atiseshim the Giantslayer and Argent Collisflos Nubes Saxum the Mountain Titan in iron. The Giantslayer is striking down the Mountain Titan. The artwork relates to the beheading of Argent Collisflos Nubes Saxum the Mountain Titan by Ingtak Atiseshim the Giantslayer's foot in Archtomb in 102.

I've been wanting to participate in a Masterwork succession fort for a while now. I've seen those Kobold and Orc forts around, and while they are just fine and dandy and totally worth a visit, I prefer plain old dwarves myself, and I haven't seen any plain old MW dwarf fortresses around. So I'm starting one.
The map is one of the pre-generated worlds, Gaia, and the embark profile is the easy-start build. All settings are set for default. We have access to all civs, automatons and all. We're in a wilderness with soil, clay, shalllow and deep metals. No aquifer, and I can't find flux anywhere. This is pretty much the basic Masterwork treatment, here.

As long as anyone can remember, the frost giants have been the enemy of Dwarfkind. Their only goal is our destruction, and we have waged war as long as both sides have existed. The giants have their massive size and wolfram weapons. The dwarves, their ingenuity. But was it enough?

One dwarf nearly had created a perfect solution. A machine built to look like a dwarf. The Automaton. It could fight the dwarves battles for them, done any dangerous labor, and more. Years before his time, the scholar Kagrenac built the first automaton. Its first action? Killing its creator. Its second? Creating more of its kind.

Now armies of automatons wander aimlessly, killing any creatures they cross. Needless to say, the many other sentient races were bitter toward the dwarves for what they had released on the world. Among the mountainhomes, any science relating to these machines or the creation of more was immediately outlawed.

What foolishness! Imagine what dwarvenkind could achieve if we had perfected the automaton! The other races are only bitter to us out of fear for what we could accomplish! We could stomp out the frost giants! We could dominate the warlocks! We would be unstoppable, and everyone knows it! Unfortunately, Kagrenacs knowledge died with him, and most of his methods are a mystery. The rest of dwarven civilization knows very little about his research, so recreating it will be...difficult.
Tomorrow, I'm meeting with the board of scientists. I'm going to tell them this. Surely, they will see reason. The automatons are simply too valuable a resource to let them go to waste. They have neared extinction many times, and we must learn as much as we can from them before it's too late.

15th of Obsidian
The board of scientists...did not like what I had to say. Ingtak was the only one who agreed with me, and he's likely in as much trouble as I am for it. I was really hoping for more to side with me, but it seems that I'm going to be reported. Hopefully, speaking out of turn won't earn me too harsh a punishment...

16th of Obsidian
I find myself in quite the interesting position.
It turns out that the higher-ups do, indeed, agree with me. The ban on clockwork sciences was mostly to save face, with the other races as much as with the common civilian dwarves. The research is highly restricted and carried on in secret. The populace is expecting me to be punished in some way. Hammering is a option, but the head of the board of scientists made me a proposition.
I am to be "exiled." I will lead a expedition of six other scientists (including Ingtak) out to establish an outpost where we can perform our experiments unhindered. We will be free of laws and restrictions, and the mountainhomes will keep their reputation intact.
But the mounainhomes cannot back us in any way. We are on our own to protect ourselves from those who would see our work destroyed. Anything we need, we must provide ourselves or trade for. We're on our own out there. We leave in two days time.

The next few entries entail the long trip to the destination, including several close shaves with automaton hordes and a lone frost giant, and leads with descriptions of the expedition party before arriving.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1st of Granite
We've arrived!

We've arrived at a canyon where two rivers intersect, in the western wilderness of Gaia. The waterfall is about twenty stories tall, quite a drop. Looking at the wall of the cliff reveals a multitude of valuable ores, including mithril, platinum, gold, and silver! We have soil, sand, and clay. And just look at that waterfall! This place is a paradise! What more could we ask for?

This place needs a name... a name befitting its potential! This could be the pinnacle of dwarven civilization! A beacon of light for all dwarves around!

...let's name it
Archtomb

Turn list:
Chaosgear (Finished)
Agent of Avarice (finished)
ILBane (skipped)
Eliphas8 (skipped)
Pseudonym (missed)
Demonbutter (missed)
Baloun (missed)
Bastus (finished)
InsanityIncarnate (up next)
Ajr
Alleecat
Necrisha
ILBane

Dorf List:
Chaosgear: Vendix (alive)
ILBane: Bane (alive, requesting a spear)
Pseudonym, Diggy Diggy Master (alive)
Eliphas8 (undwarfed, wants chief engineer)
Inzane: Sacrifice (alive)
Bastus (alive)
Baloun (undwarfed, wants fisherdwarf or carpenter)
lwcoyote (undwarfed, wants a speardwarf riding a coyote)
Necrisha (undwarfed, wants a baby/child born in the fort)
DeepBlue (undwarfed, wants a axedwarf named Blue)
ajr (undwarfed, also wants a axedwarf named Blue)

And here is the latest save.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:14:54 pm by chaosgear »
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Agent of Avarice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archtomb- A Masterwork Succession Fort
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 11:07:35 pm »

I'd like to sign up.  :)

ILBane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:11:03 pm »

I just got Masterwork Friday, and have no idea how any of the stuff works, but I'll take a turn if you are ok with it. If not then at least Dorf me as the preacher.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:15:09 pm »

Oh, yeah, we need a preacher.  :o
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

ILBane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:21:12 pm »

Awesome, Bane is fine for his name

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 12:28:51 am »

1st of Granite
The first think I noticed upon arrival.
Okay, the first after the waterfall, the cliff, and the ores. There's a lot of critters, even some sponge men. They're at the mouth of the upper river, a little too close for comfort.
I'm having a channel dug all around our wagon, splitting the river to form a moat. That will keep out quite a few invaders.

19th of Granite
Those spongemen are really close. They're leaving us alone, for now, but they're as close as they possibly can be without leaving the river or falling off the waterfall.
We dug out a small entrance to a future fortress. It leads past the waterfall from the inside, and I plan to make the entire fortress a zig-zagging hallway that passes the waterfall at multiple levels. It leaves us open to flying invaders, yes, but it'll keep people happy. Right now, it only leads to the future trading depot.
The moat isn't complete yet, but it's almost done. Just a few more days.

1st of Felsite
The spongemen left. Didn't see where they went, but we don't care.
We've finished digging three levels of zig-zag passage, a farm, and a stockpile. The moat is finished, and we're building a bridge. After we're done hauling stuff, we'll get to work on proper living quarters and workshops.

27th of Felsite
The moat's full. Now we should build a bridge or two. The area around Archtomb is chopped into multiple sections by the river, and anybody willing to join our cause may have difficulty reaching us.
What's more, the think forest makes our trading depot inaccessible. We'll have to clear a road.
We're running low on food. I'm having Shedim gather any plants inside the moat. A fisherdwarf would be helpful right about know, but I'll wait until we get more members. What little labor force we have is too precious to waste on fishing.
Temporary living quarters and workshops are dug out. Now for smoothing and furniture.

3rd of Hematite
I've taken the liberty of making myself broker, bookkeeper, and manager. Well, now I need an office.
And...it's summer now. Aside from that, nothing of interest has been happening. Besides those dire wolves glaring at us from across the canyon, but we're completely cut off from them. Nothing to worry about.

1st of Galena
Migrants have arrived. Whether they're people who secretly backing our research here, or simply normal migrants sent by the mountainhome to help our cover as a normal outpost, I can't tell.
We got a potter (changing his labors right away to engraver and mason), a carpenter who doubles as a archer, a farmer, a master bonecarver, one fisherdwarves, a leatherworker, a dew beetle nymph (dafrik?), a clothier who also doubles as a marksdwarf, and a preacher who is also a fisherdwarf. The preacher seemed to be the leader of the group of 8 and introduced himself as Bane. He is actually from a hamlet, heard about our cause through secret channels, and brought several of his followers to help. Unfortunately, about half of the group he came with isn't on our side of the automaton issue. We'll have to approach this cautiously.

...crap, Bane needs an office.

And with that, I'm done for the night. Expect my next update tomorrow night.
Here's Bane's:

I just got Masterwork Friday, and have no idea how any of the stuff works, but I'll take a turn if you are ok with it. If not then at least Dorf me as the preacher.
Eh, sure, you get turn 3. Careful, that's where it gets hard.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:32:50 am by chaosgear »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 12:47:58 am »

Bane is muscular, strong, has a sum of patience, a very good sense of the positioning of his body and good creativity? I dont know who that possibly could be.

Also, Insect Nymph (biology)

Would like to be dwarved as the first legionnaire that shows up. 'Meph' 'the Mad'

Good luck.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 01:38:58 am »

Bane is muscular, strong, has a sum of patience, a very good sense of the positioning of his body and good creativity? I dont know who that possibly could be.

Also, Insect Nymph (biology)

Would like to be dwarved as the first legionnaire that shows up. 'Meph' 'the Mad'

Good luck.
...I don't get it. Who is he?

I know what nymphs are. I meant why would someone adopt a dew beetle as a pet.

You got it.

Thanks, we'll need it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 02:11:47 am »

Bane from Batman.  ;)

I thought your comment about the nymph was something else. I only knew them as magical beings of myth, not insect larvae. But then again, English is not my first language.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

eliphas8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 02:48:59 am »

I'd like to volunteer for a turn (just please, when its my turn PM me, its hard to remember to check for my turn) and want to be Dwarfed as the Chief Engineer.

Also is it okay to write in the style of Bravemule? Because I just got done reading that and it was really kind of inspiring.

Psuedonym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 06:03:14 am »

Could I be dorfed as a miner? A custom title of "Diggy Diggy Master" would be nice :D

Edit: And what the heck, sign me up too while you're at it
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:16:44 am by Psuedonym »

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 07:05:44 am »

Dorf me as "Sacrifice" and as the first wrestler
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 07:07:21 am by InZane »
I PTW anything that seems interesting

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 07:19:57 am »

Nice embark you got yourself there.
Would be nice if I could be dwarved, too. Just give me whatever seems to fit into your military. I am not that picky about he caste or anything else just give him a shield and a meele weapon, please.

Demonbutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 08:51:08 am »

I would love to have a turn if I may.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:25 am »

Also is it okay to write in the style of Bravemule? Because I just got done reading that and it was really kind of inspiring.
Yeah, sure. Whatever floats your goat.
If you could provide awesome drawings as well, that would be great. :P

Dwarfing list and turn list has been updated. Next game update won't be til later tonight. It's likely to be a large update, though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9