Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼  (Read 33117 times)

lacora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Banners of Heart: ☼Masterwork the Fortress☼
« Reply #285 on: September 02, 2013, 11:14:23 pm »

Hi! im fairly new to DF and i started recently playing masterwork adventure mode and became interested in warlocks. but whenever i try to use the natural ability it doesn't deliver damage e.g mad sorcerer when i cast the weave spell on someone it says that you and your target become surrounded in a bolt of lightening and it doesn't deliver any damage. if somebody can please help me with this? Thanks!

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 05, 2013, 08:19:46 pm »

Requesting dorfing as Zephyr, swordsdwarf, or air mage if possible.

Apani

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Architect, Novice Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2013, 12:16:41 pm »

You should go looking into the Masterwork DF subforum. Here we can all be told that the mod isn't supported for adventure mode and get angry at it. :P >:( :-[
Some of my old Stonesense albums, check them out!

https://imgur.com/a/BjQZnOg

https://imgur.com/a/FmNzHhh

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 08, 2013, 05:43:49 am »

I'm trying right now to take screenshots as asked. It lags like a beast in Stonesense.

EDIT: After toggling names and moods off, it stabilized.
I took screens like candies, I'm warning you.

Above Ground, with hanging watchtowers and loadsa, loadsa smoke:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ground Level, entrance, loadsa magma workshops:

Magma channels right below:

Various rooms by the stairs, Stone stockpiles, Slag Pits, Dormitory, Prisoners and Recruits torturing room (and on the same floor, hen-house, of course). Those corridors are all walled off:

Dining hall, and various workshops with stockpiles all around the volcano:

Other rooms by the stairs, on the first there's a walk all around the volcano, but it's sealed off. That cross-shaped room is a cemetery. Below there are quarters. Then a room with altars and shrines and other various workshops:

Here are the barracks, below there are cages full of anything, from chickens to goblins, and various huge buildings:

Stairs, not much to see here:

The showpiece of the quarters, with boatloads of furniture above and below and an arena in the bottom, a true colosseum:

Stairs, nothing to see here, except for some strip corridors:

Stairs after stairs... I found some big empty rooms:

We're getting deeper, man, come on:

A wild cathedral appears!

The caves, finally:

And that's it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:38:45 pm by Apani »

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 08, 2013, 10:01:22 am »

Cool!  Thanks much.

“Lags in Stonesense”: yeah, lags a bit without, too.  I’m working on it.
“Above Ground”: interesting how marble is white, basalt is dark gray and – slag is bright green?
“Lotsa smoke”: and surface fires but at least now the Eternal Flame artifact is walled in iron.  My best idea so far is to A) flood it with magma, B) flood it with water and hope the obsidian encasement stops the smoke and FPS drain.  Many coughing dwarves.
“Magma channels far right”: yeah well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
“Various channels walled off”: trying to up the FPS.  Doesn’t make as much difference as I’d hoped.
“Showpiece Coloseum”: Very nice.  The stairstep from the intentional cave-in looks great.  Kinda like Chond baori, a bathhouse from India:
Thanks Arpani, my laptop won’t run Stonesense.  The fortress will look different in another game year. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Apani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 08, 2013, 10:14:25 am »

I suggest building a chimney to send the smoke far away, or just seal it off/pond it completely.

And about Baori: that's a lot of room space wasted with stairs. :P
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 10:37:46 am by Apani »

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 11, 2013, 05:29:48 pm »

the fortress looks cool!

wanted to apologize about not finishing my turn,my dad was in the hospital and i didn't have time to play.i would ask for another turn but i wont be on much anyways.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2013, 05:51:25 pm »

Am I allowed to request a Dwarfing?

Name:Talonis Wolf

Profession:preferably a priest or acolyte of your choice, or a useful job of some sort

Custom Profession Name:Wolf Acolyte

Thank You! Hold the Eternal Flame high, and become a !!dwarf!!
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2013, 09:29:12 am »

I played around with this fortress for another couple of years working on the FPS problem, was able to take it from 20 (on my machine) to 52.  Here’s what I learned:

1) Pathfinding is the #1 drag.  Who needs 200 dwarves?
2) The worst offenders were the “30x50, everything stored here” stockpiles.  By far. 
3) Stuff To Be Counted still counts.

These were fixed by
1) Trading away the thousands of cloaks and bone carvings resulting from legendary dwarfs tasked on Repeat.
2) Adding extra stairs, minimizing steps.
3) Widening all pathways to at least 2 tiles wide.
4) Slaughtering all animals not trained as war beasts or vermin hunters.
5) Moving key workshops and setting dedicated stockpiles next to them.
6) Multiple Atom Smashing Bridges in the large stockpiles; it was taking forever to use only a couple as the game algorithm would choose “shortest path” over multiple z levels disregarding impassible walls and floors.
7) Multiple bumbling farmhands were re-tasked, leaving three skilled Planters.  Same with Cooks.  Fields were fertilized from dedicated stockpiles of seeds and potash nearby.
8 ) Kitchens were moved from the boondocks closer to the fields, Dining Hall and Trade Depot.
9) Non-productive exploratory mining tunnels were walled off (doors and traffic designations do not affect animal pathfinding).  Same with exhausted pit mines.
10) Multiple “surprise paths” to the lower caverns were sealed off.
11) Brick firebreaks were set on the surface to minimize area fires.
12) Setting clothing stockpiles next to the Depot, allowing cast-offs to be traded quickly.

There were still FPS bumps: an Antman siege from below brings an extra 40 or so pathfinders to the screen.  Any surface siege drops FPS until the invaders are dealt with.  A surface fire wrecks FPS and everything else until extinguished.   

Things I learned the hard way:
1) After year 6, invaders come with good armor, weapons and skills.  Increasingly so.  It’s better to be self-sufficient before then.
2) Even six Alchemists aren’t enough to keep up with titanium demand, but the Dwarven caravan – when asked – will bring plenty.  Silver is the largest need for this fortress.
3) A single Dwarf skilled in agility, armor-wearing and equipped with a legendary weapon and two war beasts is worth more than a squadron of militia.
4) When you think you’re ready to declare war on Frost Giants to get more bifrost – you aren’t.
5) Quality Mithril armor is good enough.  Welded is better still.  Runes are great.
6) Flavor armor is useful only until you can make your own (I prefer Volcanic breastplates over multiple chainmail mithril).  After then, flavor is just way too heavy although some of the foreign shields give better coverage.
7) Grimelings are a poor choice for pit training; they go for the throat regardless of armor.  It’s much better to beat on the Leprechauns with wooden sticks.

This fortress was an older version so
- The Colosseum is the best way to get legendary military skills without violating “Meph’s Rules.”  Warlocks drop wands and such for partial souls.  Praying, not so much.
- Legendary roasts and volcanic weapons are the best renewable resource trade goods to get the expensive reactants for the Colosseum.  Or mithril, if you have enough to make trap components.
- The library in this older version works well, once you get the hang of it.
- Even with an edge on wooden spears in Masterwork, nothing beats a Danger Room for building agility, arguably the most useful military skill.  Armor is good, not getting hit is better.
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 23, 2013, 12:24:22 pm »

Did it die?

NOOOOO!

If I could get on the internet regularly enough and download the last save, I would... :-[
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #295 on: November 23, 2013, 04:41:38 pm »

Did it die?

NOOOOO!

If I could get on the internet regularly enough and download the last save, I would... :-[
It died, because many new mod versions and features came out since this fort.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 06, 2013, 06:32:51 pm »

Yeah, well, many changes between v2 and 4e.  Are there other ☼Masterwork☼ community games going?  Anybody interested in starting one?

Grimmash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 06, 2013, 07:29:10 pm »

I found a nice site in 4e, and am probably going to start a community/tutorial fort this weekend or next week.  Kind of a learn and play, and post of the forums affair.

mensrea

• Bay Watcher
  • Bane of COMEX
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 10, 2013, 11:16:30 am »

If anyone else is interested in a 4e succession game let me know, the only other masterwork forts I see going on are either tutorial forts or marginally active.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]