Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4098576 times)

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_10 Starter Pack r4
« Reply #1140 on: September 02, 2014, 12:33:32 am »

In the trade screen, I got a counter-offer and saw this at the bottom:

I think that "q" is a search, but neither "Esc" nor "E" got me back to the "consider the offer" screen. Guessing this is a TwbT issue? What's the interface supposed to let me do? I'll try it before using "die" in the dfhack window to go back to a save.
Try "Enter"

Ok, that worked. Trying hard to not feel embarrassed.

Chaine Maile

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: September 02, 2014, 05:41:45 pm »

I'm a little confused, and trying to find revision history.

Does r4 or previous revisions add dfhack to 40.10 yet?

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 02, 2014, 06:14:33 pm »

I'm a little confused, and trying to find revision history.

Does r4 or previous revisions add dfhack to 40.10 yet?

Yes the changelog is in the second post.

elpreda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 03, 2014, 04:57:03 am »

Umm, nevermind me. Thought I had some problem but it turned out alright, must have been doing something wrong.
Thanks for the pack btw, makes life a lot easier for us newbs.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 05:05:30 am by elpreda »

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
  • alchemy too stronk pls nerf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 03, 2014, 01:06:17 pm »

For some reason, revision 4 crashes Dwarf Fortress (revision 1) does not.

Using Windows XP Professional SP3.

With 1.5GB of RAM and basic stuff. hah.

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 03, 2014, 01:25:09 pm »

Windows XP?! That might be your problem right there. :-)

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 03, 2014, 01:38:39 pm »

Wait, what it uses that it crashes on Windows XP? D:

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 03, 2014, 02:05:49 pm »

Wait, what it uses that it crashes on Windows XP? D:
who knows, but it hit end of life before DF 0.40 was released, so there's no expectation that anything currently in development would work on it and not a lot of reason for anyone to troubleshoot it as a result.

EuropeanDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 03, 2014, 02:29:47 pm »

The problem is, it's not Dwarf Fortress itself that crashes.

It's the whole Starter Pack thing that crashes Dwarf Fortress. And revision 1 of 0.40 update does work (which is what I am using right now).

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 03, 2014, 03:32:32 pm »

It could be because TwbT was enabled by default in r3 - try deleting (DF)/hack/plugins/twbt.dll.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 03, 2014, 03:37:37 pm »

Windows XP?! That might be your problem right there. :-)

It's either dfhack or twbt, neither of which were in revision 1. Revision 2 doesn't have twbt I think, but it's buggy from what I read back then.

It's not Windows xp, the game is a 32 bit game and there's no reason to believe it'd cause problems in and of itself. I really doubt the game uses any new external dependencies since 40.00 started. You can disable twbt by going to Dwarf Fortress 40_10 Starter Pack r4\Dwarf Fortress 0.40.10\data\init and opening up init.txt and finding [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD] and changing that to [PRINT_MODE:2D].

***Edit: The revision 4 uses a older twbt which isn't as optimized as the newer generation(which is buggier atm) and I was going to suggest turning multilevel off but you won't be able to use twbt with your computer without some lag which you can't afford mate, not with the 3.xx version. In the 4.xx version only the multilevel causes lag, the graphic files twbt adds in the 3.xx cause lag in that version but not in 4.xx from what mifki says. You just want dfhack to be able to run the clean command and other features it adds which reduce fps reductions.

1.61GHz and 1.5GB RAM, runs on about 20FPS. :p

"AMD SempronTM Processor 2800+" thing on Windows XP Professional SP3 with "NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 (Pro)" as graphics card. :P

SHOW ME YOU MOVES PC

Since your computer is pretty bad and even high end computers slow down later on it's likely you won't be able to have a fort for many ingame years. Unless you use the clean command a ton and don't have any big water projects and overuse quantum stockpiles.

One thing I'd suggest, is to move FONT and FULLFONT definitions to the overrides.txt from the init.txt. That'd make it easier to fall back to non-twbt rendering.

-snip-

The graphics packs are at most 4-5mb. It'd be nice if the launcher had an option like some torrents do where you can download only certain files (so you'd download the main pack and then in the \LNP\Graphics you'd just choose what packs you wanted. (I so want this in the one launcher for mods pack, in this section)

Or the starter pack can just add a option to edit the init.txt to change [PRINT_MODE:STANDARD] to [PRINT_MODE:2D], because that would be easier. It already edits other stuff in those files why not add that to it to? Since it turns twbt off just as well as what you suggest.

It'd probably help if you made the part in the first post that says changelog is in the second post stand out more, people seem to miss it.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:01:14 pm by LeoCean »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: September 03, 2014, 04:04:20 pm »

Simply changing the ".plug.dll" or ".plug.so" extension to something else is enough to disable TwbT (e.g. "twbt.disabled.dll) - changing PRINT_MODE to 2D has other side effects (such as disabling rendermax, which requires STANDARD or another OpenGL-enabled print mode).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 03, 2014, 05:07:53 pm »

Changing to [PRINT_MODE:2D] ended my crashes as well. Thanks for the helpful advice!

I wondered if it wasn't that, because I could run r2 just fine, but 3 and 4 were crashing for me.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 03, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »

2 only had dfhack, twbt wasn't updated at that time. If you want to help fix the twbt pluggin do this though.

People who're getting crashes with TWBT 4.xx, read this.

Crash dumps are disabled by default on Windows, so if you're willing to help, download this file http://tmp.emsisoft.com/fw/crash_dump_settings_use_only_on_vista_and_later.zip
unpack and open enable_mini_crash_dumps.reg file. This will import settings into your registry to enable crash dumps.

Then, when DF crashes, go to C:\Users\Public\CrashDumps folder, find latest subfolder that have dwarf fortress in its name, and upload it for me. This will greatly help.

It'd help if he had more people to test it and upload their crash dumps so he can find the different problems. He's already fixed a few he found through it already. But he probably needs more, and your crash could be the answer. Ah I sound like a salesmen.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1154 on: September 03, 2014, 05:46:17 pm »

As I understand r4 has the old 3.xx twbt that didn't cause problems before. I suspect it might be a generic problem with OpenGL rendering. The test would be to delete twbt and set print_mode to standard, if Devstorm wants to experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 385