Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: 90% of fortress-born dwarves & animals are 1/10th normal size (fixed in LNP)  (Read 124483 times)

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: The unluckiest hammerdwarf?
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2013, 01:53:30 pm »

Ok, I figured out how to check a unit's blood_max:

1. Use notepad (or whatever) to make a file in your DF\hack\scripts folder. (mine is called maxblood.lua)
2. Paste in this script:
Code: [Select]
local this = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit()

print("Birth year: " .. this.relations.birth_year)
print("Blood: " .. this.body.blood_max)
3. Select a dwarf.
4. Type in "maxblood" (or whatever you called your file) into DFHack.
5. !!SCIENCE!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:30:19 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2013, 02:04:42 pm »

Thanks, Urist McAwesome!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2013, 02:05:48 pm »

Now, how to find out whether a dwarf is a migrant or natural-born citizen...

The results so far have been pretty staggering. Of the dwarves who I can tell whether or not they are migrants, the smallest migrant has 4440 bloods. The largest natural-born dwarf so far has only 917!

The average for migrants seems to be around 5700. The average for natural-born dwarves is somewhere around 660!

NOTE: All of these dwarves were adults.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:14:38 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2013, 02:13:32 pm »

The results so far have been pretty staggering. Of the dwarves who I can tell whether or not they are migrants, the smallest migrant has 4440 bloods. The largest natural-born dwarf so far has only 917!

The average for migrants seems to be around 5700. The average for natural-born dwarves is somewhere around 660!

I'm fairly certain it says so in their profile screen. It describes where they were born, and when.
If so, you should be able to easily extract that info ONCE you know what variable controls that.
Yeah... I have no idea how DFHack operates :(
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2013, 02:18:02 pm »

Wow, they're so tiny!  That puts their height (assuming average cubic volume) around half that of the migrants.

"Edem II seems to be having trouble with that hammer.  I think it's because he's so shor-"

"Silence!  Dwarf shall not remark on the height of Dwarf!"
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:29:00 pm by VerdantSF »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2013, 02:22:46 pm »

I'm not using the Edem file, because I was trying to test if my fort is experiencing the same phenomena.

I'm fairly certain it says so in their profile screen. It describes where they were born, and when.
If so, you should be able to easily extract that info ONCE you know what variable controls that.
The profile screen tells you when they were born and who their parents are, but not WHERE they were born. However, it does tell you if they are former members of any groups. So far, it looks like all migrants are former members of other groups, and all natural-born dwarves are not. But I'm not sure if that is a hard and fast rule. Ie. is it possible to get a migrant who is not a former member of any other groups?

Yeah... I have no idea how DFHack operates :(
Me either. I just copied a script about butchering, and removed all the parts except the bit I needed.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2013, 02:31:54 pm »

snip

Another way to do this is to separate by birth year, which should be an easy variable to extract. Just find everyone who was born after the fort was founded. I'm pretty sure dwarves do NOT get born off-stage once worldgen ends.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2013, 02:48:50 pm »

Another way to do this is to separate by birth year, which should be an easy variable to extract. Just find everyone who was born after the fort was founded. I'm pretty sure dwarves do NOT get born off-stage once worldgen ends.
Is that true? It seems like if that is the case, a long-lasting fortress could cause the civilization to go extinct. But I guess that is kinda what happened to Deathgate... although I figured that was just a case of them killing off the migrants faster than they could be replaced.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2013, 02:59:23 pm »

This is huge, no pun intended.  Seriously, this needs to be like #1 for the next DF talk.  Who knows how long we've been playing with tiny dwarfs?  Possibly YEARS!  Just think about the implications.  Poor Deathworks is running a fort with 7 dwarfs and 15 gnomes.  Seriously.  I'm imagining the tiny clone of the sheriff from "Squidbillies."  Is the modding forum informed?  is the DF Hack developer working furiously already on a patch?  The people demand answers.  OCCUPY BAY12 GAMES! 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is that true? It seems like if that is the case, a long-lasting fortress could cause the civilization to go extinct. But I guess that is kinda what happened to Deathgate... although I figured that was just a case of them killing off the migrants faster than they could be replaced.

This has always been the case actually, but no more after the next release.

Lastly, creature size seems so important judging from the raws, I'm astonished that the individual creature size (after modifications for genetics, etc) isn't stored somewhere, and you have to get it by finding the blood amount.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2013, 03:06:39 pm »

A++, an amazing ride to a stunning destination. I'm also surprised that the creature size isn't stored anywhere we're aware of as a discrete characteristic, just one we're inferring by the blood volume. It makes me imagine my dwarfs as perfectly-proportioned, gelatinized blood cubes sliding around the caves.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2013, 03:12:02 pm »

Great job, Urist!
I've just checked some of my longer-lasting forts, and it seems to be a general bug. I'm seeing the same phenomenon: dwarfs who immigrated have blood amounts mostly in the 4000-7000 range, fort-born dwarfs range from 500-1000. There are outliers which can go a good way below or above, including a dwarf with <400 blood. And yes, i found a mother who's tinier than the baby she gave birth to a few days ago. EDIT: i feel like that would be a fitting addition to 'body horror' in tvtropes...

It also holds for animals - imported cats range from 400-600 blood, fort-born from 100-180. There's also a named hen who arrived as a chick. Her blood amount is rated at 35. For reference, a crundle captured and trained at some point has ~1100 blood, more than fort-born dwarfs or dogs. Fort-born grizzly and polar bears have about as much blood as fully-grown dwarfs or goblins.

I do have two fort-born dwarfs with normal or at least almost-normal blood amounts, though - 2600 and 5000ish respectively. Those could use a closer look.

Editedit: Wagons have 1200 blood...
Now if only you could capture and tame them. To breed _smaller_ wagons.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 03:37:24 pm by Larix »

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2013, 03:23:26 pm »

fort-born dwarfs range from 500-1000.
imported cats range from 400-600 blood
Lol! We have adult dwarves who are smaller than cats!

EDIT: I modified the maxblood script to include birth year. I'm getting better at this!

Or, even better:

if this.relations.birth_year < 310 then
print("Migrant")
else
print("Natural-born")
end

Replace 310 with the year you're fort was founded.

NOTE: The Migrant/Natural-born output only works for dwarves. Animals brought by traders, or captured in the fort can often be younger than the fort, and thus they'll be incorrectly displayed as "Natural-born." I'm not sure about pets brought by migrants.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:21:34 pm by Urist McDwarfFortress »

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2013, 03:52:57 pm »

I can't believe we've been playing with dwarves the size of cats without knowing it for so long...

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2013, 04:00:20 pm »

I can't believe we've been playing with dwarves the size of cats without knowing it for so long...

"Mommy, why is Litast so tiny?"
"Urist!  It's not polite to talk about another dwarf's height!"

I really do hope we can get size as a fully displayed attribute one day. 

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2013, 04:04:50 pm »

I really do hope we can get size as a fully displayed attribute one day.
I wonder if Toady will be fixing this bug in the next bug fixing round. Although I never deal with in-bred dwarves because of the short nature of my forts, I can't stand the thought!

Perhaps if we modded children to have the same size as full grown dwarves...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23