Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Automated Goblinite Filtration System ( magma washing for only metals )  (Read 5605 times)

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hello fellow dorfs

thanks to Girlinhat's suggestion of using brief magma wash, I'm now able to clean and rid my Goblinite of those dirty clothing / corpse as well as my spent bone bolts... basically anything that is not metal.

I believe this is the only non micro-intensive way to sort through and take only the copper/silver/iron/bronze weapon AND armors
all the clothing, quivers and other non-metal garbage are automatically burned off... leaving behind clean, refined, metallic Goblinite for the dwarfs to haul.

for !Science! and for PROFIT
I'll make a note here: Huge Success.

Heres the system in action:

first we make our Goblinite not moving

this is the all sorts of crap we're left with on the bridge..... well  down you go into the magma chamber

burning the junk off

and this is what we are left with ^_^ .....   PROFIT!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:00:08 pm by JerBear »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very nice!  Once I get magma, I'll have to borrow this idea.  Thanks for sharing!

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very nice!  Once I get magma, I'll have to borrow this idea.  Thanks for sharing!

its late now so imma log off
i'll draw a diagram next time

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hmm, so it looks like a quick was in magma allows non-magma-safe metals to survive.  Glorious!
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

I usually just have a system that looks kinda like this:

Code: [Select]

z-2
+++
+H+
+++

z-1
X#X

z-0
WBW

+=Floor
W=Wall
H=Hatch
B=Retractable bridge
X=Flood Gate
#=Grate
    • The goblins are pitted through the hatch on z-2. 
    • Once you have all your goblins pitted, you open up the Flood Gate connected to your magma source.
    • This will flood both z-1 and z-0, burning the goblins and their useless crap.
    • Reclose the Flood Gates.
    • Open your Retractable Bridge and dump the magma into your waste-reservoir.  Since the left-over crap is sitting on the grate, only the magma
    • drains away.
    • Open the second Flood Gate, which should be connected to your fortress proper and let your dwarves haul/melt whatever they want/need.

This system saves space and magma, and has the bonus keeping all the stuff in one spot so you can easily mass forbid/melt/claim/dump.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:33:59 am by evictedSaint »

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I usually just have a system that looks kinda like this:

Code: [Select]

z-2
+++
+H+
+++

z-1
X#X

z-0
WBW

+=Floor
W=Wall
H=Hatch
B=Retractable bridge
X=Flood Gate
#=Grate
    • The goblins are pitted through the hatch on z-2. 
    • Once you have all your goblins pitted, you open up the Flood Gate connected to your magma source.
    • This will flood both z-1 and z-0, burning the goblins and their useless crap.
    • Reclose the Flood Gates.
    • Open your Retractable Bridge and dump the magma into your waste-reservoir.  Since the left-over crap is sitting on the grate, only the magma
    • drains away.
    • Open the second Flood Gate, which should be connected to your fortress proper and let your dwarves haul/melt whatever they want/need.

This system saves space and magma, and has the bonus keeping all the stuff in one spot so you can easily mass forbid/melt/claim/dump.

so you pour magma directly onto that grate tile? do the weaker metals like copper and silver burn out?

my design has a firing range built in, so its a bit more complex

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

updated with a masterwork instruction pamphlet
enjoy and remember, our fortunes rise and fall together

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile

I made a very similar structure once, which started off as a trash incinerator in a previous fort (as that forts main defense was a full lockdown).

The major differences were in how the magma is used post-rinse and in the interior structure. The interior structure consisted of a single room with grates in the floor, and magma was held pre-rinse in a cistern below the chamber, into which the chamber drained. Due to evaporation, the cistern did have to be regularly topped off.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

updated with a masterwork instruction pamphlet

Beautiful!  Thanks again!

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made a very similar structure once, which started off as a trash incinerator in a previous fort (as that forts main defense was a full lockdown).

The major differences were in how the magma is used post-rinse and in the interior structure. The interior structure consisted of a single room with grates in the floor, and magma was held pre-rinse in a cistern below the chamber, into which the chamber drained. Due to evaporation, the cistern did have to be regularly topped off.

the reason i did a big room sized floor bar/grate setup is so that i can
1. have it as execution room on retracting bridge (doing a batch of 10 goblins is no problem)
2. have magma flow straight down in the hopes that they dont push any objects ( i think i've lost some magma-safe items before in magma where they got pushed and disappear, similar to water)
3. there will only be 1/7 depth magma on the side, on the bars they wash and disappear instantly into the magma holding room below (this also burns out all the unwanted bone bolts where the 1/7 magma are sitting on the ramp edges)

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

Pity about your insane grief-ridden bone carver.

JerBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pity about your insane grief-ridden bone carver.

actually the bone carvers made thousands upon thousands of bone bolts that they don't give a flying magma crab about it

sometimes when i claim all the goblinite (along with the bone bolts) the marksdwarfs get stuck picking up equipment,
thats why i want a system where ONLY metal weapon and armor are left

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Somehow the Cycling magmatic siege killer comes to mind.

What do you say, I think it would make a good combination  :o

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, that's a really nice illustration, JerBear!

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile

Hm... I guess this depends on the fact that it takes time for items to heat up based on the specific heat.
Might be a problem for people using DFHack to reduce FPS load due temperature updates by make items heat-up and cool-down faster.

I wonder if magma misting would work equally as well (set the goblin and cloth on fire, wait till they all burn to death).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.
Pages: [1] 2