Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 517640 times)

Nao

• Bay Watcher
  • (A!)
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:09 am »

Now that you mentioned it... they did!

Hot damn! PTW!!

I hope they don't go the way of Conquest Elysium with simplified combat. Adding seasons like they are in CE would be awesome thou. >_< So excited!

Well it worked in CE where everything was very localized. Where as Dominions takes place over huge areas.

Basically CE could have taken place in a single province.
That's better way of looking at it :). I only played the demo of CE some time ago. And was kind of disappointed, because it wasn't Dom4 i hoped for.

Are there any features introduced in CE that you would think could make their way into Dom 4? Something to speculate about? :P

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 02:55:47 pm »

I'd like proper tactical combat. Please, make my dreams come true forever Dom4. I love you.

I'm thinking about loading up Dom3, but I remember the AI is particularly lame to play against on impossible difficulties. Would enjoy more mods, too, maybe the announcement will spur new factions? I especially like Hellgate [Or the Travellers.. Forget the name], no matter how unbalanced they are. Makes it more fun to play against!

Didn't Dominions 3 already have seasons with various effects? Though you didn't see the map change I'm pretty sure it affected the cold/hot scale and some events.

Hm. Far as I remember it was just the little 'season' symbol changing.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2013, 03:02:12 pm »

I'd like proper tactical combat. Please, make my dreams come true forever Dom4. I love you.
Few things would be nearly as capable of potentially killing the game for me in one go. Dominions is one of the few standouts still remaining of the Ogre Battle ethos to combat, and by the gods I want more of that. We don't have nearly enough.

Didn't Dominions 3 already have seasons with various effects? Though you didn't see the map change I'm pretty sure it affected the cold/hot scale and some events.

Hm. Far as I remember it was just the little 'season' symbol changing.
Appropriate heat scale shift (summer hot, winter cold), certain units are more powerful during certain seasons, and winter in particular was bad for health and aging -- old dudes were more likely to take age related injuries and/or die, maybe some disease related stuff. May be some other stuff... season specific events, junk like that. Somewhat subtle effects, but potentially rather big deals in certain scenarios.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:03:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »

Few things would be nearly as capable of potentially killing the game for me in one go. Dominions is one of the few standouts still remaining of the Ogre Battle ethos to combat, and by the gods I want more of that. We don't have nearly enough.

Endgame becomes a match of throwing thousands of units into a formation and calling it good. Tactical combat would change that dynamic entirely. There's very few instances where getting maximum leadership on a Rainbow mage and a huge amount of shooting/hybrid mooks is not preferable. And these are with proper hero mods. Otherwise, even Giants are underpowered in comparison.

Seriously. You can win the entire game by finding a human province or two and constantly pumping out the moderately armored spearmen and no-armor archers.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 03:27:09 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2013, 03:34:57 pm »

Until the AI blasts your army leader and your troops all run screaming into adjacent provinces.

Dominions uses a scale for conflict that, for me, precludes full tactical control during combat. I agree with Frumple that we have too few games that run large scale battles for you in an interesting way.

Plus, I think spellcasters would be pretty broken if you had full tactical control of when, where and how they drop spells. The AI spellcasters can give you a pretty good example of this. (Nuke the army leader, nuke the army leader, nuke the army leader, nuke the army leader.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2013, 03:54:23 pm »

Seriously. You can win the entire game by finding a human province or two and constantly pumping out the moderately armored spearmen and no-armor archers.
... maybe against someone who's asleep... or the AI, ha.

Or with gratuitous amounts of caster support and maybe a few SCs/thugs thrown in there, because without that it's bloody trivial to splat an indefinite number of basic indie recruits. At which point you're doing a lot more than spewing chaff and archers out of a few indie provinces...

You can win the entire game like that the same way you can win the entire game using nothing but your pretender. It's possible -- and if the enemy has no idea how to respond, not even difficult -- but incredibly easy to neuter. Dominions offers a bucketload of methods for dealing with single dimension strategies.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 05:48:26 pm »

Actual formations instead of squares of units would be nice. Something à la Knights & Merchants or even the Total War series, where you decide the number of rows in each battle formation.

Daggoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 06:39:51 pm »

Whooo! PTW.  :)
“I think I've reduced the amount of blood in my caffeine system to an acceptable level.” - Khouri

The Elder Scrolls Online: Klavain - Altmer
Eve Online: Neville Klavain -  Gallente - Miners!

I don't RP female characters unless forced per game, so if you run into a Daggoth or Klavain it is probably me.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 07:10:08 pm »

I'm really excited to hear about this.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 07:34:38 pm »

Actual formations instead of squares of units would be nice. Something à la Knights & Merchants or even the Total War series, where you decide the number of rows in each battle formation.

Given some of the units DESPERATELY NEED this... I have to agree.

I mean I understand that a Charge attack happens at any point, but a good cavalry charge is still powerful.

---

One reason why I sort of want a fantasy period is because of Ermor specifically. The differences between Early and Late age Ermor is immense to the extent that they are entirely different factions, in essence.

Yet they aren't the only nation who basically only appears in one period in all their glory. The Late Age does see some of the best "need no magic to whip your butt" nations and two of the best magical nations in all ages. While the early age has one of the best "need no magic" nations and a lot of the best magical nations.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:00:59 pm by Neonivek »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2013, 01:16:27 am »

Hey, they updated the page. It almost seems like they're reading this thread.

I'm excited to see wraparound map generation in the game, and hopefully the UI improvements are along the lines that I want them too as well. Teamplay will be interesting too; I hope we hear more details soon.

EDIT: Oh hey, developers are answering some questions in the Desura forum thread, nothing too concrete there yet, except for
In plain English, one of the new nations is Machaka: Lion Kings for the early era. The rest shall remain shrouded in mystery for a while yet.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:52:21 am by Karlito »
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2013, 01:21:21 am »

Hey, they updated the page. It almost seems like they're reading this thread.

I'm excited to see wraparound map generation in the game, and hopefully the UI improvements are along the lines that I want them too as well. Teamplay will be interesting too; I hope we hear more details soon.
Nice looking really good
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2013, 03:40:40 am »

I hope they add smaller spells... Mostly for two reasons
1) I'd love to see spellcasting units
and
2) The Beholder from CoE is awesome! For those who don't know his ability was that as his attack he can cast several low level spells in a single turn.
and I guess
3) Combat Casters would be a cool concept... Even if it is just for Pretenders. Characters who could actually get in enemies faces and cast spells (Ignoring the somewhat, iffy melee cast spells)

---

Another thing I hope they add...

-NO MORE "in description only" abilities. I like the icons, if a character has an ability that allows them to generate a gem, it should be displayed.
-Status effects should be capable of being seen in battle.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:57:20 am by Neonivek »

Urist McManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2013, 06:57:53 am »

EDIT: Oh hey, developers are answering some questions in the Desura forum thread, nothing too concrete there yet, except for
In plain English, one of the new nations is Machaka: Lion Kings for the early era. The rest shall remain shrouded in mystery for a while yet.

And in the same forum post Karlito quoted the dev more or less said there will also be a new faction named "Ur", based on Mesopotamian giants. Sounds very interesting, IMHO.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 04:07:19 pm »

Ohh goodness PLEASE have a Fantasy Era!

I know I am the only one but come on! A Era where all the factions are available (but for obvious reasons, only one version of a faction per game)

It could even be a shattered time where the pretender that won managed to collapse all reality so fragments from all the time periods came together and formed what you see before you. Heck, they could even go one step further and make factions and pretenders that ONLY exist in the Fantasy Era.

Like the Pantocreator Faction before he ascended (With a unique Pantocreator Pretender for that Faction) or a faction that is supposed to be the "last" faction made up of only the surviving races. As well as a Oblivion faction which are beings that only came into existence at the death of everything.

Or heck alternate timeline faction too. Like a Fantasy Ermor that actually succeeded at their goals.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:13:56 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 236