Poll

Am I qualified to run this game?

No.
- 5 (17.9%)
Hell no.
- 23 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Sparkgear XIII: Its back  (Read 23820 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Sparkgear XIII: Its back
« on: July 05, 2013, 05:25:28 pm »

Sparkgear XIII: Its back

"When Sparkgear was first founded there was a lot of discussion as to what Time Zone God would be worshipped. For many days and nights no one knew what time it was and the hopes of the people faded. These were the fortress' darkest days (someone said it was just an eclipse but that sounds like witchcraft). But, from the anarchy a hero arose. His name was 'Forum Time' and by using his Space Wizard powers he created unity and system for measuring time. And that dear children of Sparkgear is how time was invented.
Ok, story times over. Go get uncle Titus some spiders now...there are tests to be done..."

Titus Drake no longer wants to live in this fortress...

By the end of my turn, you'll need a new heresy meter. This won't be covered under warranty.

This is much better than my shitty boring turn, ha!

I was reading through the hall of legends, and came across Sparkgear. I also noticed the last game was in 2010. Its high time we had another one on here.

From the last Sparkgear game:
Welcome to SparkGear the flashing, smashing DF sensation that will rock your world.
You know how in all those BRAND X succession games some douchebag always drags out his turn across three weeks and everyone else is like GAWD GET ON WITH IT? In here, we curbstomp fuckers like that. Your turn is twenty four hours. Nothing more, nothing less. Got your dad's crappy old 286 that runs DF in realtime? TOUGH SHIT. Got work? Call in sick. Class? Fuck that. Sleep? FOR PUSSIES.

In classic SparkGear there is only one rule: Don't talk ab DURING YOUR TURN, YOU ARE KING. Your predecessor made an awesome megaproject? Put a dick on it. Steal his royal bedroom. Put his avatar on latrine duty. (But being a dick will get you treated like a dick, so BEWARE). If the last sucker left you with an unplayable save (even FPS wise, SO DON'T LEAVE STONE LYING AROUND), revert to an older save. AND YOU BETTER UPLOAD THE MOTHERFUCKING SAVE ON TIME, MOTHERFUCKER.

Make sure you label your levers.

That's right, turns last 24 hours, and only 24 hours. I'm making turn changeover at midnight, Tokyo time.

Actually, we'll make it forum time, just this time.

You may EXTEND your turn by 24 hours, but you must play the extension whilst drunk or inebriated or or suffering from a form of temporary and induced mental impairment, such as lack of sleep. You must call the extension during your turn. If you get this extension, all players will have their turns pushed back by 24 hours. Deal with it.

You may MULTIPLAYER this using one of the Telnet clients that were lying around, if they can work. If you're going to multiplayer the turn, make sure you say so on your sign up. If you extend the turn, all players must be drunk or otherwise inebriated whilst running the fortress.

If an update to Dwarf Fortress comes out, we will play the latest version no matter how bug-ridden it is, unless version compatibility is broken.

When the fortress dies, we will begin a new thread. The new fortress will be created in the same world, unless a game-breaking update comes out, in which case a new world will be generated. 48 HOURS may be allotted to setting up a new fortress, WITHOUT any drunkenness requirements. Be sure to upload the save after the fortress falls.

Once your turn is finished, you may sign up for another turn.

I may be giving out some awards when this is done. I will not give details as to what the awards are, but they will either be given to a dwarf in the game, or to a player.

Worldgen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We will be using Dig Deeper for DF2012. The world has already been generated, and I have a fortress just set down that might do.

I have NOT used Dig Deeper before this.

CLARIFICATION AND OTHER STUFF: I backed up a copy of the worldgen, and then started a new fortress. It was promptly overrun by rattlesnake man corpses and was pretty much lost. I closed off the application. I then started the new game before making this thread, to get a better idea of what Dig Deeper had. The embark is a bit north of the civilization's mountain range (I think?), one of about 14 dwarven civilizations. I did not get a screencap of the world or of the embark location. I just have a fortress about 4-5 days into Granite of the first year created. I'm counting this in "preparation" time. I can re-start on a new fortress if you like.

Damn, if I had read the "shark domestication" thread I'd have located the fortress next to an ocean. As this fortress is going to progress fast though, we'll probably be doing that for Sparkgear XIV in a week and a half.

World Map and Embark Location:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Signup list, July 2013

Turn Completed
Turn in Progress
Turn skipped
Turn missed
Turn not yet started

Saturday July 6 and maybe Sunday July 7 PREPARATION: CaptainArchmage - Starting out
Monday July 8th: griffinpup
Tuesday July 9th: Argembarger (CLOSE ENOUGH TO A MOTHERFUCKING WEDNESDAY FOR YOU?)
Wednesday July 10th: laularukyrumo (?)
Thursday July 11th: laularukyrumo IS THIS BETTER FOR YOU? Matoro (Previously The Master)
Friday July 12th: The Master (by request)
Saturday July 13th: CaptainArchmage
Sunday July 14th: Ieb
Monday July 15th: Mouseshy
Tuesday July 16th: StLeibowitz
Wednesday July 17th: Matoro
Thursday July 18th: The Master Japa Free (duh)
Friday July 19th: Japa Free (...) fort overrun
Saturday July 20th: Ezk1
Sunday July 21st: CaptainArchmage
Monday July 22nd: griffinpup

//AWARDS\\

With the fortress of Sparkgear XIII destroyed in is thirteenth day, awards will now be given. This list may change.

The Master Award for Holy Fuck How Did You Even Manage That Devastation goes to The Master, for bringing the fort to the brink of destruction in three hours.
The Limbo Award for Most Missed Turns goes to Matoro.
The First Emperor's Chosen Award for Named Dwarf Survival (counting time whilst named at fortress) goes to Tiberius Drake, for surviving nearly up to the fort's end, through multiple disasters.
The Second Emperor's Chosen Award for Named Dwarf Survival (counting time at fortress before naming) goes to Argembarger, for surviving right up to the fort's end, also facing disasters on the way.
The Guerilla Medic Award goes to Japa, for a heroic effort to rescue the fortress.
The Expansion Award goes to Ieb, for improving fortress infrastructure.
The Perfectly Safe Portal Award goes to CaptainArchmage, for safely investigating the interior of an adamantine tube.
The Survival in Office Award goes to Argembarger, for the longest period of time in office.
The Two Bodies, One Dwarf Award also goes to Argembarger, for having two dwarves alive with his name at the same time. Whoops, just checked historical records.
The Achievement Hunter Award goes to Argembarger, for having the most awards.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:20:56 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sparkgear XIII: Its back
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:25:52 pm »

Post reserved. I'm done reserving posts now.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:27:35 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 06:37:47 pm »

Umm...  I accept your challenge.  How will you share your game after your turn?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 06:53:05 pm »

Umm...  I accept your challenge.  How will you share your game after your turn?

I will post the save up on DFFD as usual. The challenge is not to play a year in 24 hours, it is to play what you can in 24 hours. This ensures that the changeover is quick, so you don't have games running for weeks on end. It should also quicken the pace at which the fortress advances.

The "24 hour drunk extension" rule I'm adding just to see what happens.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 07:02:42 pm »

Sign me up. Can I have my turn as close to Wednesday as possible?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:09:09 pm »

This will end in blood and insanity, glorious!
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:15:37 pm »

I've signed people up. Argembarger, your turn will probably take place between Monday and Wednesday, depending on what happens.

Does anyone know how to get the ASCII printout of the world map from a save? I do have the backed up worldgen file. This will help me get more details up.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 07:17:37 pm »

SIGN ME UP! I WAS HAVE THE BIGGEST FISH IN ALL THE SEA OF BEES!
(The closest Friday would be nice)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:54:13 pm by The Master »
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 09:02:52 pm »

Any day is good.

LET THIS BE OUR FINAL BATTLE
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 09:04:59 pm »

To clarify, I'm not looking to take a turn. I just want to watch the carnage.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 09:38:07 pm »

If you finish saturday, could I start on the 7th?

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 10:28:23 pm »

Any ideas for embark locations? Barren wasteland mountain could be interesting.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 12:42:59 am »

From reading OP, it looks like they've already embarked on a spot.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 05:39:37 am »

I'm in, any day but the ones between 16.-18. are okay.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2013, 07:42:57 am »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14