Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Asking feedback for potential new remote DF playing software  (Read 5929 times)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile

You probably want to go to http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129995.0 which is now the official Dfterm3 thread. This thread was me asking for feedback what features users would want.

Original post below:

Hello dwarves, elves, humans and fishpeople.

I'm considering developing a successor to dfterm2. However, before I start anything, I need to know if there would be any demand for this kind of software and what exactly should the new software do.

My starting point is have the software feature at least the following:
  • Remote Dwarf Fortress playing.
  • Multiplayer in the sense that several players can see the same Dwarf Fortress screen and interact with it (just like dfterm2)
  • Web interface (perhaps embeddable to any web site) and Telnet interface.
  • Tiles may be possible but they are difficult to implement. (Would you like tiles?)

Some of the above you can already do by using the appropriate software. For example, you can easily play Dwarf Fortress remotely with ssh and Dwarf Fortress text output, or just use VNC. I also believe there are web services that let you stream your game to other players (and chat or even use voice). However, the new software would be tailored to Dwarf Fortress and it would be easy to set it up. I could leverage some Dwarf Fortress specific features; for example, I could use dfhack to add additional features to the interface (such better work interface or alternate visualizations) that generic solutions can not.

I know this is a somewhat vague request but I'd appreciate if you can spare a moment to share any thoughts on if you would use a software like this and how would you like it to be.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 12:43:21 am by Adeon »
I make dead people. Dfterm3

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: Asking feedback for potential new remote DF playing software
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 05:46:18 pm »

Loved dfterm2.  Would love to see it portable to tablets and if possible support tilesets and things like dwarf therapist and dfhack usage
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:32:06 pm by thistleknot »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 05:54:50 pm »

It supports dfhack and tilesets just fine. DFHack has dwarf manipulator, which is also fine.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 06:31:11 pm »

to my understanding, dfterm2 used a putty client, so no tilesets, as everything was ascii or font sets, but never supported graphical tilesets such as phoebus.

As to dfhack, how does one run a dfhack command inside putty?  I always had to do a RDP into the machine, and run it in a windows

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:45:03 am »

Just make it easy to use and everything is fine. Tilesets are always bonus. DFHack doesen't seem to be problem if it's done the same way as with dfterm; only the host can access to DFHack "control panel", but every player can use in-game dfhack-plugins. For example, there is a in-game dwarf therapist through host's dfhack.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 04:30:13 am »

Oh, yeah, I'm still running my DFTerm2 server, btw. http://sourceforge.net/projects/dfmp/

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 05:03:53 am »

Just make it easy to use and everything is fine. Tilesets are always bonus. DFHack doesen't seem to be problem if it's done the same way as with dfterm; only the host can access to DFHack "control panel", but every player can use in-game dfhack-plugins. For example, there is a in-game dwarf therapist through host's dfhack.

I probably could make it easier to use. I thought about cutting a bit on the interface clutter to make it leaner and simpler. As for setting things up, I could have a small GUI for the server that should make it more accessible to users who are afraid to see a command prompt window.

I wish I could come up with a killer feature missing from dfterm2 that would make it worth the time to develop this successor.
I make dead people. Dfterm3

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:09:55 am »

there is a in-game dwarf therapist through host's dfhack.

doesn't support the same feature's as say splinterz dwarf therapist (I prefer the work he's put into supporting castes, mods, attributes calculations, labor optimizer).  This is why I was specifically asking for support for Dwarf Therapist if possible.

I was thinking of maybe some sort of graphical conversion to an ascii version (similar to the built-in dfhack dwarf therapist).  I have no idea if it's possible.  Like maybe a program than scans for "Dwarf Therapist.exe" and run's some sort of ascii conversion on it.  Maybe something like this for Dwarf Therapist.  I have no idea how useable it would be though if it was all ascii like that.  But maybe since it's a non 3d app, it might appear "static" enough to actually pull some sort of decent ascii conversion.

the control panel thing of dfhack... it's not too important for players to have access to, but say a player wants to use reveal (cheaty) or autolabor (not so cheaty).  I think a feature if the server host can enable in dfterm2 a built in panel inside putty to show the console for dfhack would be nice.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:23:57 am by thistleknot »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 01:37:07 pm »

I can do that with keybindings easy, I think.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 02:15:48 pm »

you win then.  A server side guy could setup keys, and then use internal messaging to show what keys are bound to what

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 02:51:19 pm »

See, that's the hard part.

Iranam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 02:50:08 pm »

That would be the DF multiplayer i always wanted, Adeon. Even without tiles.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 06:06:05 pm »

Very much yes, even more so to a web based interface. I guess asking for dfhack plugin support would be too much (or downright infeasible)? Also it would help to add some kind of easy-to-use guide or interface for setting up a server or something, so more servers will be active.

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 09:09:05 pm »

What I would really love to see is better support for mobile devices through a special SSH/Telnet client tailored to Dwarf Fortress. I know this doesn't have a ton to do with DFTerm (which I love BTW), but having a great way to play on mobile devices would really bring the potential of a new version up.

I guess this deals more with intercepting and renovating the UI controls, but I would LOVE to see this. I also have NO CLUE how tricky that is. (I assume if it was possible, someone would have done it already).

Maybe this software could help out somewhat with this, taking sections of the screen and separating them (the game screen and the menu). Okay I'm done talking out of my ass...
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

kleril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm the guy who sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 01:07:29 am »

As far as realistic requests go: Make server setup less of a complete pain in the arse.

Beyond that, perhaps you could develop unique client software that could offer more versatility than an SSH session. This might allow things like Dwarf Therapist and DFHack use for people who aren't the host. While I'm at it, I'd like a pony or four.
"Obsession and despair take hold as you fail to recapture a fantastic sensation that you had for a moment but is now gone."
Pages: [1] 2 3