Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vista Seeds  (Read 3443 times)

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vista Seeds
« on: January 17, 2008, 09:07:00 pm »

I used a seed from the wiki and the world I got wasn't much like what they showed at all.
I'm guessing a different OS will do RNG a least slightly differently?
Anyone have window Vista seed just to see if that'd work?

(any old world's okay, just experimenting)

igrants have arrived from El Paso.

Fenrir

Re: Vista Seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

Have you modded the raws any?

Broken Bolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

oh well yeah just a little, wanted iron so made mica an ore of it and some other non flux into a flux, hehe.
igrants have arrived from El Paso.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

That might be what's doing it. I don't know if the operating system makes any difference.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 12:12:00 am »

I'm fairly certain its all OS independent.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 02:37:00 am »

I can confirm that seed is OS independent and that modding the raws can affect world generation. So basically if you want a set seed to work, you won't be able to change the mineral compositions.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

Odd... With G, at least, I've done some limited tests with two different (Vista, XP) systems, and that leads me to believe that world generation is affected by your operating system.

I'll deploy two unmodded, fresh Dwarf Fortress installations over the course of today from each computer (one at home, one at 'work'), and generate the two seeds on each.

The seeds haven't been decided, but they'll involve one 0-reject and one 100+ reject.

[ January 18, 2008: Message edited by: Lazy_Perfectionist ]

Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

Try this for a 0-reject: 486581926

I'm running Vista, DF v.33g.

The world should have a noticeable buggy place. On the leftmost edge, the edge of the second mountain range from below (it's a 3-long row of mountain tiles along the edge), there is a cave, right on the lowest mountain tile. The cave is special in that its entrance has 2-levels-high walls, making it impossible to safely get in, or get out at all.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

Sean, you are obsessed with that place.  :)

Do you expect the Holy Grail to be hidden somewhere in there?   :p

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Try this for a 0-reject: 486581926

I'm running Vista, DF v.33g.

The world should have a noticeable buggy place. On the leftmost edge, the edge of the second mountain range from below (it's a 3-long row of mountain tiles along the edge), there is a cave, right on the lowest mountain tile. The cave is special in that its entrance has 2-levels-high walls, making it impossible to safely get in, or get out at all.</STRONG>

Would you mind telling me the game's name for that world, maybe export a map?

On my XP machine, I get a zero reject "Gethroth", "The Past Domain". It'll be a few hours until I can test it on vista.

A small thumbnail links to entire map, which is almost a megabyte in size. If I reduced color depth, or used lossy compression, it would be smaller. But anyways, dialup beware. I forgot to use the clean install, I'll do further world gens..

I have two hypothesis for the differences I've seen. Multi-reject worlds will show the problem more significantly, or mods are a lot more difficult to remove than you'd expect. I've noticed that even removing the raw prehistoria files and  generating a new world left dinosaur trappings behind. I had to remove them elsewhere to get a fully fresh start.

Anyways, I see a cave, no problems.

The other seed I want to try is 845927328, which generated a glacial volcano I wanted to recreate at another location, and couldn't. I assumed it was due to the OS difference, since I'd removed the mods. But now I'll test if the mod really was removed by a). installing the same mod for my XP DF, and b). genning the world on my vista laptop for DF in a fresh from zip Dwarf Fortress.

Bloat325, ADDITIONAL LIQUID TYPES, (Future): Candidates for new flowing "liquids" include sand, oil, mud, blood of various sorts, slime, farm products like grain and beer for the beer fountain. Only a limited number of materials from plant raws like beer

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

A-yup, the world is identical. Gethroth, the Past Domain, the yellow mountain range in the corner, all is as it should be. But a normal cave, you say? Hmm. I'll have to re-re-try that with an "extra specially clean" install of DF...

Edit: Tried it on the extra-specially-clean (like, extracted the install archive into a new folder) version. The cave's still there, and its entrance is still 2 levels deep. A series of bruises on my adventurer are proof to that.  :)

[ January 18, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Lazy_Perfectionist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 07:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>A-yup, the world is identical. Gethroth, the Past Domain, the yellow mountain range in the corner, all is as it should be. But a normal cave, you say? Hmm. I'll have to re-re-try that with an "extra specially clean" install of DF...

Edit: Tried it on the extra-specially-clean (like, extracted the install archive into a new folder) version. The cave's still there, and its entrance is still 2 levels deep. A series of bruises on my adventurer are proof to that.    :)

[ January 18, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]</STRONG>

I see nothing strange.. while the entrance is two z-levels deep, there is the standard series of slopes for easy access in and out. Why you have something different? I don't know. If you got the same results embarking, it would be interesting.

I generated the world from that seed in XP and Vista, no noticable difference.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

I don't embark to the location. I go there as an adventurer. And I see a 2-level steep fall from the surface to the bottom of the pit that is the cave entrance. Maybe embarking gives a different result, I don't know...

Uh, I see no way for it to have the standart access slopes, since a slope implies a connection from a level to a z-1 level, not a z-2 level. Do you have some sort of "stair" appearing there, like another ring of slopes outside? Take a screenshot and post it, I am very curious myself.

[ January 18, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

Seed #7777777 is an awesome Vista seed... Only 6 rejects, and damn near everything... Only things it doesn't seem to have is caves and a cave lake.

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.