Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 229

Author Topic: Space Thread  (Read 282233 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Space Thread
« on: November 05, 2013, 03:14:40 pm »

So I noticed that there seems to be no thread dedicated entirely to discussing space. So I made one, since I feel it's a broad enough topic not to be contained to some kind of umbrella all-purpose science thread.

Feel free to discuss:
-Space exploration
-Space technology
-Space in culture
-Personal opionions and speculations about space
-Etc.

Naturally, forum rules/guidelines and common courtesy applies.

To start off:

I've always wondered how birds would do in microgravity. They're probably equipped to maneuver around much better than other animals, but they might also be especially vulnerable to bone loss, what with the hollow skeleton and all. Problem is, no one's ever bothered taking live birds into space, except for embryos, because of hygiene problems. I'm going to guess that's because they're fairly messy eliminators, and the molting could be a problem.

They've kept mice and such in space for extended periods, though, so I imagine similar containers could deal with loose feathers. As for the guano, maybe some kind of bird diaper?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 03:20:55 pm »

why did we not have the useful idiots in the various militaries of the world tell us that there are enemies in space so we can go look for them

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 03:36:59 pm »

why did we not have the useful idiots in the various militaries of the world tell us that there are enemies in space so we can go look for them

Hah, I like you LordSlowpoke.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 03:39:23 pm »

I've always wondered how birds would do in microgravity.
Wonder no longer.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 03:42:56 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:44:43 pm »

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 03:47:41 pm »

Posting from my room in the ISS.

I've always wondered how birds would do in microgravity.
Wonder no longer.
That's in a tumbling aircraft.
It's microgravity all the same.

Warning: do not read the video comments, you will explode from the overload of antiscience.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 03:51:12 pm »

That's in a tumbling aircraft.
It's microgravity all the same.

Not a very long-lasting microgravity. The birds don't have time to adjust to the new conditions. It's not like studying them in actual orbit.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 03:52:59 pm »

That assumes that they can adjust, which they might not be able to. Point is, you wondered how birds would do, and I posted the existing information on the subject.
No Gods, No Masters.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 04:02:59 pm »

It's just not very useful information. Studies done on mammals, fish, insects, and reptiles in sustained microgravity show that they can adjust surprisingly well, so it's not that much of a leap to assume birds could. It's just never been tried because of the problems of unsanitary liquids floating around. On a 45-minute aircraft flight, though, they just tumble around frantically. The humans would do the same if they hadn't been trained for it.

Thanks anyways, though. Specific videos for space stuff can be hard to find for some reason.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 04:06:40 pm »

Hmm. Wish I could remember the SF story I read one time that had a bird living in a space station. The Author predicted that the bird would eventually get used to springing off of things and using its wings to direct its flight and slow down before landing.

Would be fascinating to see how birds flew in a microgravity after an extended period of time. Although the bone loss issue could certainly be a problem.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 04:23:51 pm »

Additionally, the ISS isn't exactly that spacious.

Also:
Spoiler: Moss (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:38:43 pm by 10ebbor10 »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 04:34:39 pm »

It's got enough room to test a small bird in a decently sized container, though. A bird in microgravity should be able to change direction, accelerate, and decelerate mid-flight, just like on Earth, but without having to expend more energy to stay "aloft".

But no one wants to deal with involuntarily controlled liquid waste. So no birds in space in the near future :(

We can barely deal with bleeding in microgravity...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 04:40:25 pm »

I guess they could send up a parrot or the like that has been toilet trained to only go in a specific area. It's quite doable, and if they have an area set up to handle the waste, like a constant slight vacuuming effect in a chamber, it would help stop those problems.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 04:42:49 pm »

If you can put a bird in a decently sized container, you sure as hell can put a glass plate in it to keep the smell  and waste out. Point is, that little to be learned from putting a bird in such a small box. Nothing worth the price, anyway. (Also birds and fragile bones are kind-off synonymous. Not sure if they'd get through launch intact.)

Oh, and bleeding in microgravity is more of a medical problem than a technical problem. I mean, they had worse leaks up there without too much damage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 229