Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Braaaaaiiiinsss.... Braaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnsss....

By the holy swelling of Armok's Prostate, this is unfair!
- 0 (0%)
No, really - my miner's head was ripped off before he even started digging!
- 0 (0%)
OHMIGERD WHY OH WHY OH WHY
- 0 (0%)
Your sanity has crumbled to its end
- 0 (0%)
I'm a masochist.  This is the perfect spot for a new mountainhome!
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 16, 2013, 07:34:02 pm

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor [Players and Judges Needed!]  (Read 12870 times)

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor [Players and Judges Needed!]
« Reply #105 on: November 28, 2013, 06:01:15 am »

Thanks for the vote :D you can expect more of those. And yes, i'll be retrying this.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 28, 2013, 10:09:47 am »

ascii all screwed up due to OPs tileset - passed playing

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 28, 2013, 10:28:01 am »

ascii all screwed up due to OPs tileset - passed playing

If you use the LNP, swapping back to the original ASCII is as simple as hitting the button that says 'update savegames.'

Oh well, cya.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2013, 02:11:50 pm »

Found the thread a bit late but picked up the save nonetheless. The RAR didn't work for some reason, the folder was not recognized by df, but the zip worked fine.

Got 5 dwarfs (of which one quite miserable) and 1 pack animal safely underground, now need to think of a way to go forward. If I understand the embark I can safely butcher animals in the 'blue' zone, so I should be okay with food for a short while.

I think I will try to cave-in through the aquifer and go down to the caves for food.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2013, 02:17:43 pm »

Welcome to the thread, vanatteveldt!

May your misery be the gateway to glory!
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2013, 02:32:03 pm »

Well it turned out safety was relative. I messed up with burrows and got my woodcutter killed, and then sent up another guy with the last axe to pry a log from the undeads' cold hands, but I messed up and got him killed. And then I forgot to lock to door and let a zombie into the shelter, so I figured "that's the end".... until the yak bull "gores the left lower arm in the left lower arm [where else???] with his left horn, shattering the bone". So, I'm sort of safe again, minus one dwarf and an axe.... I need to be on the ball a bit better or this will end sooner than hoped...

Shoot. Uzol's corpse decided to camp on my stairs, so I can't get any more wood and that also cancels my plan of making a new front door a bit further from the bad guys... so, the only thing left to do is dig down. The aquifer seems to be at least two deep (the tile under the stairs in the upper aquifer was immediately wet), and there are only two soil levels above it, so that will be a challenge...

You have struck hematite! Bless the miners! We need to set up shop in the rock layer asap, get some furniture so we can get happy faces, and the dig on down to the cavern. The first challenge is over, it is mid-summer, I have four dwarves left, 40? food, and 1 ghost. This is still doable.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129994.msg4620472#msg4620472

First migrant wave came along, just when some nice undead birds were flapping about. 1 fisherdwarf made it... actually, after I though everyone was dead and I locked the door again, it turned out he was happily fishing in the middle of the terrifying zone. I'm sure I should have left him there instead of ordering him in, some dwarfs just don't deserve to live. Oh well, at least he's not a cheese maker :-)

BTW, interesting map below the aquifer, if I can get it alive it might actually work out. The good thing is that I can actually fight the undead as long as I do it in the blue zone...

Darnit, I'm giving up. I accidentally left the game running while going afk, and it is unsalvagable :-(. I will retry I think and try to keep focussed, this embark is not very forgiving...

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 08:48:58 am by vanatteveldt »

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2013, 01:47:47 pm »

Thikud "showerbolted" Mesiralath was a visionary, and his vision was of a great underground metropolis, a mountainhome in the truest sense of the word. He had heard tales of a magnificent cave, with endless supplies of power and bountiful iron and silver, and had decided to built his vision of a mountainhome in that location. A true visionary, he was not easily held back by small details such as lack of supplies or worrying reports of zombies roaming the ground above his cave. Zombies aren't problems, zombies are *challenges*, and so they set off to Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor, Earlyterrors the first Morning of Evil.

Riding through the joyful wilds of the Mire of Glossomething, Thikud wondered what all the dark tales were on about. He ordered the wagon, which he had brought with him to carry back the riches he was sure to amass, to be placed atop the location of the new mountainhome. He surveyed the land, serene expanses of grassland and trees to the south and west. To the North, uhm, wormy tendrils? Staring eyeballs? Well, at least they seemed to be stuck in the ground. As Thikut made a mental note to stay on the green side of the line, he saw something else fluttering about. Birds, it seemed, but they didn't look entirely right to him. In fact, they looked quite horrible, with patches of wing missing and tendrils and blooded organs sticking out of gaping holes in the skin.

"Strike the earth!", he commanded, "and hurry up a bit!". While Uzol, the appointed miner, took the one pick out of the wagon, Reg started disassembling the wagon. Ordering the other dwarfs to keep themselves and the pack animals close by, Thikud ordered Uzol to dig out a small shelter right where they stood, and had their meagre supplies carried inside: one pick, an anvil, three logs from the wagon, and two yaks. More than enough to start an empire, Thikud decided, and ordered the wall to the outside world be boarded up using one of the logs. They were all safe, and their limited supplies would be enough to dig down to the promised cave and set up shop there.

On digging down, Uzol quickly found out that there was an aquifer beneath the second soil layer. By inspecting the ground under a staircase dug into the aquifer on the instant that the staircase was dug, Uzol determined that the aquifer was at least two layers deep, but hopefully not more. Although he only started his mining carreer a day before, Uzol had hear tales of breaching aquifers using only a pick, and told Thikud that he needed to train in the soil layer for a full season to build up enough experience for this feat.

Thikud, realizing that the temporary shelter would be their home for the time being, ordered a carpenters shop to be built with the second log, and the last log to be made into a door. He decided to make a long tunnel from the access point, which was too close to the tendrils to his taste, all the way to the southwest corner, and build the door there, and have new quarters dug behind the installed door. The carpenter was deconstructed, and the log was moved to the new quarters, alongside the anvil, yaks, and dwarfs. After everyone was safe, the wooden wall was deconstructed so the dwarves had two logs again. Uzod, meanwhile, had dug out some water points in the aquifer to quench the dwarves' thirst until the caverns could be reached. While Uzod was building up his mining prowess, the two yaks were slaughtered, and the proceeds were spun and tanned and the leather and bones were crafted into some rudimentary armor and trade goods, by constructing and deconstructing workshops as needed using the two logs. Finally, the carpenter was rebuilt, and a training axe was made to be able to chop the trees in the cavern.

After emplying a technique called 'chicken running', Uzod was able to drain the first aquifer layer into the second, and he discovered to his delight that below that layer there was hematite. After digging out the first aquifer layer in the cave-in room, a 3x3 patch of soil was caved-in from the second (dry) soil layer into the second aquifer layer, and Uzod was able to dig down, searching for the caverns.

The map below, dwarn after the fact by engravers enjoying the peace and prosperity of their new home, still shows the initial shelter in the top right corner, the tunnel leading west and south, and the venerable access door with after it the spacious but empty rooms created by Uzod's practice digging. The black hole on the left is the access to the caverns.

As soon as he god news of the discovery, Thikud donned the rudimentary armor and training axe, and headed down into the cavern. He liked what he saw: a spacious cavern ground with few entrances, and a magma tube ending one layer below the cavern. On the way down, Uzod discovered hematite and cassetirite, and the cavern itself contained Galena, an ore of silver with lead contaminations. He ordered a first defensive barrier of trenches to be dug by Uzod, while ordering the other dwarfs to collect the mushrooms and shrubs on the cavern floor. He set up a still and a craftsdwarfs workshop for pots, and soon water was drunk no more in Gedor.

Meanwhile, a brave bunch of immigrants arrived at the southeastern side of the map. Hoping for more hands to work, Thikud instead saw mainly small mouths to feed: 5 children and two adults. However, one adult was a master farmer, which came in very handy now that it was time to setup the first farms. So, the immigrants were directed to a meeting area just outside the door, and after making sure no zombies were following, the door was opened to the first set of new citizens. Welcome to Utharsanad Gedor, the first Morning of Evil, the future mountainhome.

The drawing above shows the state of the fortress, or outpost really, in early autumn of the first year. The plump helmet farm is full of plants, and the pig tail and cave wheat farms are starting to get along as well. The seed stockpiles also contain dimple cup and sweet pod seeds. Left of the still is the food stockpile, containing rum, beer, ale, wine and some yak meat. Silk has been harvested and bags have been sown, allowing for milling and (later) processing quarry bushes. The top shows the magma pool, and right below it the entrance staircase and the stoneworks.

Below the cavern level, a proper dining hall has been dug as well as a magma smithy, which has been used already to make the first weapons and armor for the militia.

Below this level, the stairs in the dining hall lead to the bedrooms, still not enough to house all 16 dwarves, but very colourful and more comfortable than sleeping in the dirt. The dwarves aren't happy, but they are all content, and everyone is safe for the moment. Thikud and Reg started training with the new weapons, and although they still have to get comfortable with their new role, they will surely make Gedor a safer place soon enough.

Immediate plans: seal of more cavern space to get more wood so everyone can have a room; set up an airlock and trading area before the cavern comes; and turn the outpost into a thriving fortress.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2013, 10:14:09 pm »

Well done!  You, good dorf, have done more to survive than most, thus far.

You get a **yak tallow biscuit**!
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2013, 10:21:08 pm »

I'm going to post something later, assuming I can get Necrochambers to DIE!!!!

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2013, 08:00:49 pm »

Sorry for the slightly necro-ish post, but even though I ran across this challenge a bit late I really wanted to give it a try.

Well, Thikut reasoned that this here embark may be swarming with horrible undead giant sparrows now, but with all this fluff and feather wood in the vicinity some less-fatal wildlife should be wandering along any time now. So the dwarves struck the earth, walled themselves in, and made rudimentary preparations while they waited for the nightmares to stop. And stop they did, although this land sure did seem to spawn rather a lot of flying zombies. Once Thikut's dwarven senses told him that naught walked the surface but a docile giant grasshopper or some such, the dwarves tore down the entrance wall, and ran out to chop and gather wood and plants. They even had the sense to do these things in small increments and only very close to the entrance ramp, but as none of them knew anything about woodcutting, herbalism, or carpentry, things proceeded rather slowly. Before long, a zombie giant owl was spotted coming from the east, and everyone hustled underground. Yield: two logs, one of which was used to replace the wall with a door to speed up the whole matter of getting in and out.

A second excursion a couple of months later yielded a little more wood and, prize of prizes, a prickle berry. Mouths watered at the prickle berry wine they would soon enjoy. Thanks to a hatch and an unsuccessful experiment with caving in trees, there was even a reasonably safe sunlit tile in which to plant the seed.

Even though the miner Kel was rapidly mastering the swing of the pick, she reported that she could not dig through the waterlogged layers of silt and sand on her own. Thikut dared not open a large skylight, and he knew that even the most conservative pump-based methods would require a good deal more wood. And who knows, maybe he hoped to find a sun berry.

The third foray onto the surface did not end well:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only three dwarves remained alive (and thankfully the battle took place in a serene setting, so their comrades at least stayed dead). The other yak had also managed to get itself killed aboveground, so the stocks of yak stew suddenly looked rather pitiful. Kel determined that they would not perish in this shallow hole like vermin, and decided she'd just have to make do with her single pick after all.

Kel being a bit clumsy, and thus destined to never be the speediest of miners, it took a while, but just as hunger was starting to set in, autumn brought a flurry of activity! Within the space of a month, Kel collapsed a plug of silt into the aquifer, her pick tasted rock and the earthen tunnels tasted cavern spores, and the population abruptly quintupled with the arrival of over a dozen migrants. Conveniently they arrived close to the recently dug traders' entrance, and they were ushered inside without incident. At first Thikut panicked a bit as the many children demolished their remaining food supplies, but Mebzuth the elderly Master Jeweler calmed his nerves.

The dwarven traders would be coming soon, Mebzuth reminded them, and a lovely marble depot was constructed. Meanwhile, Mebzuth built himself a workshop near the depot and had every raw gem, and their handful of rough bone and stone crafts, brought there. By the time the merchants arrived, several crude crowns and earrings gleamed with expertly-worked gems. The merchant Athel was more than happy to trade them for all the food they had brought, and a few other useful supplies.

The peril of their situation was made clear once again a few weeks later when Athel fell to a Giant Parrot zombie while trying to leave. Thikut made a note to retrieve the dropped trade goods at some point and sell them again.

The winter was spent carving out chambers from good stone, polishing up the dining hall to take everyone's mind off of the recent carnage, cooking and brewing. Kel found a magma pool and made preparations to dig into it below the second cavern, although her plan required that someone find the spare time to learn the curious art of dwarven mechanisms. Brewing plump helmets fast enough to keep up with the childrens' thirst proved challenging.

That spring, the Mountainhome sent far more help than Thikut could have anticipated. Nearly seventy migrants! Many children, but also a fair number of able-bodied adults, although none with especially useful skills. (Yes, they did arrive with a High Master Cheesemaker, though.) "They must be insane!" was the collective exclamation when the dwarves realized that the migrants were standing on the far eastern edge of the terrifying mire, but the Overseer picked out for them a route skirting well south of the wheeling and cavorting flock of murderous undead Giant Lorikeet. Miraculously, they picked their way across the cursed land unscathed.

Soon after, elvish traders appeared. Although Reg (the other surviving founder, the broker, bookkeeper, manager, and now Kel's suitor) wanted to lock them outside, Thikut contemplated the tremendous amount of wood they had brought, coveting a night in a bed of his own. In the end, this overcame traditional dwarven distaste for tree-huggers, and the elves were sold the same bejeweled crafts that the dwarven merchants had failed to leave with the previous fall.

With so many idle hands, loose stone and wood was soon corralled into sensible stockpiles, magma and ore flowed to furnace and forge, and raucous parties echoed in the crowded marble halls. To Thikut's dismay, the dwarves elected Mebzuth as their mayor, and as his first act Mebzuth appropriated an artifact bone coffer to deck out his otherwise spare throne-room. As his second act he recognized the severely cramped sleeping quarters by banning export of beds.

Thikut, being a dabbler in many trades but skilled in none, mostly withdrew to his room to plot the taming of the surface and the caverns. Kel and Reg married that summer, and Reg moved his managerial duties into their home office. Kel is very busy training new miners. She's heard in passing that Mebzuth really likes fabled Adamantite, and with a mix of excitement and concern she anticipates that someday soon he will send her to find some.

Time elapsed: 1.5 years
Population: 45 adults, 46 children, 2 zombie dwarves
Casualties: 7 citizens, 2 merchants, 2 undead wildlife, no elves (yet)
Wealth: 119K created wealth, 3 low-value artifacts
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 08:03:43 pm by Maolagin »

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2013, 08:56:07 pm »

Well done indeed, Maolagain!

I hope our judges poke their heads in sometime soon...
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 19, 2013, 12:24:26 pm »

Short update - will post w/pictures when I have some more time.

Played until the second dwarven caravan. Things are going fairly well. Population is now around 80. Messed up getting a migrant wave in and let some undead through as well, which cost me one of the founding seven and caused quite a bit of grief. 

Most of the first cavern is now sealed off, and a mist generator is installed. Getting enough wood remains problematic, but the extra cavern space should help. Two FB's came along, the first was a snow monster that was bitten to dead by my hammerdwarf (who forgot to bring his hammer?), the second is a webbing monster that I am planning to capture to get a silk factory - but I've never done that so I will probably screw up. Second caravan brought a lot of animals, so we now have grazers, pigs, egg-layers, and cats roaming about.

Also got an artifact lead war hammer, that should at least be somewhat useful. One kid got a mood and demanded yarn cloth, which I didn't have, so he was walled off and died a lonely death.

The remains of an elven caravan are lying on the surface. I should think about reclaiming the surface soon, but my military is not even close to being up to speed yet...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]