Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridging the ocean. Science report  (Read 4451 times)

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bridging the ocean. Science report
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:44:15 am »

Someone mentioned that one can build a walkable bridge over the ocean and it will provide access for traders. I decided to investigate. It turned out, that one don't need to actually build the bridge.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Update: I checked, caravans really come.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:25:59 am by Urist McRas »
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridging the ocean. Science report
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 03:11:39 am »

"Many dwarven settlers drowned to bring us these traders."

Intresting bit of information though.  Thanks.    You probably could have just done a series of 1x16(or whatever the max size is) to speed up the proccess.   An oddly shaped embark or one too large to be playable under normal conditions isnt really a problem when all your doing is embarking and abandoning.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:27:43 am »

One 4x4 embark per region is enough:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 05:08:24 am »

Thank you for taking the time to do this research, Urist McRas.  Perhaps, sometime soon, it will lead to some interesting succession forts!
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 12:10:04 pm »

I imagine that the only way for the those neighbors to get there is by crossing a bridge made only of the corpses of dwarven settlers and the wood of their smashed carts.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 04:44:39 pm »

Interesting.

I have done this before, but created the bridge using DFHACK's liquids command to spawn a big obsidian bullwark.

Interesting that you dont actually NEED pathing for the traders to show up.

Why do I now envision "Oregon trail" style "Ford the river!" antics as the dwarven merchants with carts full of gold and lead bars try to cross the ocean?

Now I wonder about worlds with multiple continents that are seperated, if you could get many MANY MANY necro towers as neighbors this way?

(The AI that places them seems to favor putting them in coastal areas on the edge of mountain foothills and the like. Worlds with many volcanic/mountianous islands and isthmuses tend to have a greater than average density of them, so if you could create "Connections" after world gen, you could end up with an embark with many of them as neighbors.)

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 10:02:42 pm »

Now I wonder about worlds with multiple continents that are seperated, if you could get many MANY MANY necro towers as neighbors this way?
(The AI that places them seems to favor putting them in coastal areas on the edge of mountain foothills and the like. Worlds with many volcanic/mountianous islands and isthmuses tend to have a greater than average density of them, so if you could create "Connections" after world gen, you could end up with an embark with many of them as neighbors.)

So, this makes me want to imagine the potential Succession Fort....
I mean, not just that, but due to abandoning, you could have those who survived said abandoned forts, migrate to your fort.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 10:31:51 pm »

How do you get an ocean embark that doesn't instantly cause the game over message? Or did you just abandon before unpausing?

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 11:28:39 pm »

I abandoned before unpausing, but settlers were drown on arrival, so no choice here.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 12:33:29 pm »

With 10,000 point embarks and precise placements of sites, one could build an actual bridge. It'd take a long-ass time, but . . .

-Gets ideas for the next version, since History will follow you along.-

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 03:29:06 am »

With 10,000 point embarks and precise placements of sites, one could build an actual bridge. It'd take a long-ass time, but . . .

-Gets ideas for the next version, since History will follow you along.-

See: Oceanbridges
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright