Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47

Author Topic: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress  (Read 271520 times)

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
Re: The Insidious Sons of Steelhold -- Revival Succession Fortress
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2013, 10:27:06 pm »

I would have guessed that Corley did it, but I suppose someone else taking it might make for a more interesting plot.
That said, considering the contents of the letter, I don't think that anyone would have done more than read it, then return it to the desk. Also, considering the Corley is willing to sneak into Melek's room in the middle of the night and place his letter in there, I think that the former possibility is more likely.

Yeah, I'd go with that too. I think Melek would probably be investing in better locks sometime soon though.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2013, 10:32:12 pm »

I would have guessed that Corley did it, but I suppose someone else taking it might make for a more interesting plot.
That said, considering the contents of the letter, I don't think that anyone would have done more than read it, then return it to the desk. Also, considering the Corley is willing to sneak into Melek's room in the middle of the night and place his letter in there, I think that the former possibility is more likely.

Yeah, I'd go with that too. I think Melek would probably be investing in better locks sometime soon though.
Pretty ironic considering she lives in a prison cell.
And we were this close to yet another victim of Gnorm, the Overseer Killer.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2013, 12:45:04 pm »

Undated

So. Asmoth has gone mad. One less ally I have in this fort.
Rhaken's gang and I have an arrangement. I sell them mechanisms, they keep me out of trouble. As much as that is possible, in a fort full of criminals and social dissidents.
The balance of power in the fort is secure, for now. Though I might have hoped for a quick and messy end to the demon cult's machinations, the current cordial stalemate is far preferable for keeping my own skin intact.
From Moisturize, one of Asmoth's few associates, I've gleaned some knowledge of what's going on below. It's not pleasant. Hordes of monsters, held back by a thaumaturgy-emitting metal that we're steadily mining away. I of course already new this, but I didn't know that Rhaken and the masked dwarf are actively negotiating over control of the fort. I can only hope he has the sense to prepare for the madness that ensues if the adamantine is dug out.

I swear, someone is watching me. Or multiple someones. Or something. Developing hefty paranoia. Have to stay focused and rational. Thamaturgy is poorly understood, but it surely follows some laws. With enough study, it can be predicted. While I'd rather not experiment with it myself - it's unquestionably dangerous unless you've made a pact with some power that knows what it's doing, which is in itself dangerous - there should be a chance to observe it's affect on the fort. If only Asmoth was still coherent! I'm an engineer, not a scientist. I solve problems. Practical problems. For practical money.

Asmoth's notes may have information I'll need in them. I'll need them stolen, or if that fails purchased - tipping my hand would be unwise. Normally I'd go to Rhaken's boys, but I can't tell what they're telling our local demon prophet.
Moisturizer seems eager to please his friends. Maybe I can use him...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:46:59 pm by MDFification »

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2013, 02:52:52 pm »

Dear Das Ebal...

Hard to believe I'm writing in you as if you were a diary. Incidentally, are you sentient? I can't seem to tell with you.   

The pets you sent me are fine.  They're back in bin form, inside of a wheelbarrow. I brought enough supplies thanks to them.  I'm mining around, taking some of the gem clusters I find, and hiding the entrances to my tunnels with baked stone; hopefully, the SEP (somebody else's problem) field I set up will keep the dwarves from looking too closely for long. 

Yeah.  See, mask dwarf has taken too long to get back to me.  I need that adamant.  Emdieef cut off contact with me, so I can't use his thaumometer to detect the adamant.

Hmph. from what I hear, he's curious about magic, but too afraid to actually expiriment with it. I'd tell him what I know if he let me use his thaumometer...

I may be able to see through maskdwarf's illusions, but I can't seem to sense them unless I'm right next to them.  Magical sensing was never my strong suit. I'm better at flinging spacial rifts around. 

Built a crude thaumometer based on what I'd seen. By crude, I mean CRUDE-I have to replace the central gem about once an hour or so. 
well, back to mining...

Dear Das Ebal...
Going to give another try at getting mask dwarf to tell me where he put the adamant.
Finally recruited a decentish engraver. can't remember his name...or was it a she? No matter. I need to take controll of the fort soon.  Easiest way to do that is with promosises of royal bedrooms.
Hope Rhaken is sensible enough to order up the wood I need.

Hey! I just had an idea! why don't I leave a NORMAL diary out in such a way as to ensure that another dwarf reads it and gossips about it?

Dear diary.
We need some power.  I'm thinking 50 windmills ought to be enough.  We need a lot of wood for that, though.

What could we do with such power? Anything. We could set up fans in the tunnels below to ensure a nice cool breeze.  Even our tunnels are pretty warm during the summer, after all.  We could pump and filter water in from the ocean, then pump it back out to prevent flooding, without wasting half the fort on boring pump duty. (And what's more, we won't have problems with the dwarf on top falling asleep and flooding the rest of the pump stack!)  We could avoid ever having to operate a quern again. I HATE quern duty!

point is, there are so many things we could do with power...
We just need wood...like...lots of it...shouldn't be too hard to bribe the traders to bring extra wood with a couple of masterwork bone figurines...
We. need. WOOOOOOOD!

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2013, 06:32:50 pm »

...I did not see this coming. Good thing I've been poking around 4maskwolf's save.

I will commence playing soon. Hope you fine folks don't mind if I switch to Phoebus for my turn. I will switch back to default ASCII when I upload. Damned thing gives me migraines. If you'd like me to do my turn in ASCII, I can give it a shot.

For now, EVENTS!

Six hours after the passing over of the control of Steelhold...

I don't like it. This was entirely too easy.

The masked dwarf handed me control of the place. Just like that. There is no chance in hell he did it as a show of goodwill. He's plotting something. Here's hoping it has nothing to do with the adamantine. But that's wishful thinking.

Either way, Steelhold is mine. I've had the lads prepare everything. They broke into Lenehan's old cell and dislodged the hidden pannel in the back. This leads to his old office, where reside the levers that control his diabolical contraption. I'm not sure it's been dismantled yet. More importantly, it contains something else. The mouth of Lenehan's tunnels, which envelop and connect the fortress like a massive spider's web. He used it to spread the Elf Plague. I will now use it to spread the news.

I avoid the lever in the center of the room, and make my way to the back. Statues throughout the chamber, all facing inwards, line my path. There are even some statues of Jackal, the old warden. I reach the mouth of the tunnels, long since closed, and await the signal. Minutes tick by. Sigun and Tirist, two of my axedwarves, await at the entrance. I can almost feel the long-gone thrum of the abandoned machinery overhead.

Afer contemplating getting Emdief to take a look at this place for the umpteenth time, the signal arrives. Morul, the most nervous troublemaker I have at my disposal, runs down the stairs. I assigned her to this to keep her out of trouble. I hope she did nothing stupid.

"They're all in place, chief," she says, flustered.

"Good work, Morul. Rest here a while." I turn to the slab blocking the tunnel, grip the edges, and pull. It falls away, hitting the smooth stone floor with a roaring thump, resounding throughout the fortress thanks to the tunnel network.

"Attention, residents of Steelhold!", I bellow into the tunnel mouth. "From this day forward, I'm calling the shots here. Steelhold is now officially under the control of Rhaken's Gang. Remain calm and assemble in Cell Block A within two hours. Do not try to escape. Do not miss assembly. That is all."

The effects of the announcement were in no way unexpected. The numerous tiny gangs of inmates were attempting a revolt, each trying to seize control from me. However, they are predictable. They never once considered joining forces. The several skirmishes throughout the fort consisted of three to five malnourished dwarves armed with shanks against my armored, well-fed cronies and their military hardware.

The results were predictable. At assembly time, there I stood, ringed by my most loyal dwarves, overlooking the crowded room. Several troublemakers were locked in the various cells, bruised but otherwise unharmed. All others not of my faction stood around where they could, stealing nervous glances at me, at my dwarves, at one another.

Tirist reported the headcount to me. Everyone was here. Even the masked dwarf had been counted going in, though I couldn't see him. Time to get this ball rolling.

I raise my hand to quell the whispering around the room.

TO BE CONTINUED
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:01:23 pm by Rhaken »
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Forget a spouse, he needs a full time gonad wrangler.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2013, 06:52:25 pm »

I will commence playing soon. Hope you fine folks don't mind if I switch to Phoebus for my turn. I will switch back to default ASCII when I upload. Damned thing gives me migraines. If you'd like me to do my turn in ASCII, I can give it a shot.
I would prefer that you play in ASCII if you plan to post screenshots, simply because graphics actually give me a headache, though I cannot force you to use it.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2013, 07:00:55 pm »

I can reach a compromise. Play in graphics, take screenshots in ASCII. Not exactly a lot of trouble, but it does mean I won't be posting many. Lots of juggling involved.

Uhh, guys?

Kikrost is dead. As in, Kikrost-who-was-supposed-to-be-dorfed-as-Melek is dead. Was already dead in the save. She's a ghostly planter.

What do?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 11:13:38 pm by Rhaken »
Of course, he may have simply crushed the forgotten beasts with his massive testicles.

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2013, 11:11:29 pm »

Friggin' doublepost for no friggin' reason at 4 in the friggin' morning grumble grumble.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2013, 11:19:17 pm »

Didn't die on my watch.  Only person who died on my watch was a berserk butcher.

Edit: And rather then let the whole plot untangle choose some other dwarf, probably.  Unless Asmoth had another daughter.

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2013, 12:29:40 am »

Technically, both of Asmoth's daughters are dead. However, we are running a story, not a fully-accurate Dwarven genealogy. I'd say just dwarf a young female and train her to be a doctor.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2013, 01:38:23 am »

Rhaken's speech began...

"work with me, blah blah blah, and you will be treated well, blah blah blah, any quesions?"
-I just HAD to raise my hand (dropping the diary at the same time)...
"...what?"
...and open my big mouth.
"by 'treated well', I expect royal quality bedrooms and epic flour roasts."
"..."
"You...IDIOT" hissed maskdwarf into my ear.

In an instant of insight, I realized that if I were LUCKY, I'd get laughed at.  Unlucky, and I'd have to open a spatial rift to get out of the resultant SNAFU alive...

This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2013, 01:54:14 am »

I'll wait 24 hours for Asmoth to decide what to do there. In the meantime...

"Everyone settle down!" My commanding roar silences all but the most persistent of criminals. I needed their full attention.

"Listen up, you mugs. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but things are getting mighty fucking bad down here. There are fights over food and booze, and many of us have resorted to drinking and washing in the caverns. There are also a couple of ghosts wandering around-" Hell, I could see one from here, having a seizure on the ceiling- "And we are producing nothing of value to boot."

A loud murmur of discontent from my audience. "Here's the deal. It's Hematite right now. That means that the caravan from the mountainhomes will be coming around in a few short months. With the caravan comes the inspector. And if that inspector sees this place as it is now, one of two things will happen. Either he will send the entire might of the mountainhomes down on our heads..." I could see it in their eyes already, the damnfool notion that we could avoid that if we kill the inspector. "Or we'll kill him, and the mountainhomes will send their forces once they realize he's dead, which won't take long.

"Some of you might think we can take them. Well, newsflash, folks. There's two hundred of us, of which some ninety are children. There are two thousand in the Queen's First Army alone. They'd wipe the floor with our asses in a matter of minutes."

More discontented simmering. I call for order again. "However! What if the inspector comes by and sees what he is meant to see - a penal colony, with dangerous dwarves under guard, and doing gruntwork in sweatshops to sell back home? What if he sees exactly what he wants to see?"

I can tell some of them are getting my drift. Really, it's so simple I'm surprised none of my predecessors tried it. Then again, they were all batshit insane.

"Here's what we'll do. We'll get our foodstocks back up. We'll carve out a well. We'll start producing trade goods and utilities to sell. And as long as the caravans are around, we'll behave like a penal colony should - grumbling prisoners and grumbling guards. And they will leave us to our own devices, for the most part."

It seems my audience has a heckler. That crazy bastard who made the bone bin. "That would be too suspicious. If we aren't all living in cells and acting like subdued crooks, they'll figure something is up. We need to keep it subtle. The cells have to stay. As it stands, they are already better than the slums of the mountainhomes. Only difference to a normal room is bars instead of a door." Was that the masked one beside the heckler? I thought I saw that familiar hood at the corner of my eye, but when I looked at it, there was nobody there.

A whole lot of whispering. I let it continue for a short moment, just enough that the idea settles into their brains. Then I call for order again.

"We will fool them. We will grow in power, and in numbers, all right under their self-righteous noses. And years from now, when we are strong enough, we will begin to relocate. We will found our own colonies, or take over the other penal colonies. We will emancipate. And we will be free."

I stop again, giving them time to think. Not a whole lot of it though.

"What say you?"

Stunned silence. Were I less of an amazing actor, I would have grinned.

"What say you?"

Uncertainty. Fearful gazes. Then someone in the middle of the crowd - they have no way of knowing that he's actually one of my own - starts chanting my name.

I suddenly remember an expression from back home, when I hunted yetis. 'From snowballs to avalanches'. That's what was happening in the cell block. Another dwarf picked up the chant, then a few others. Soon, damn near everyone was chanting my name. That was it then. Steelhold was mine.

The hours that followed my speech were filled with gruelling work. My lads rounded everyone up for physical evaluation and skill assessment. One of Asmoth's daughters, Melek, volunteered to help with the physicals, since her mother had gone wacko. I think I'll recruit her into my non-military forces later.

Major restructuring was in order. I assigned several dedicated stoneworkers, and sent them off to build blocks. We upped the number of planters, and told them all to handle most farmwork tasks, including building another farm. We needed some way to turn a profit with the caravans other than selling discarded crap from dead caravans, so I assigned a couple jewelers, as well as a glassmaker. Also, I found out that dozens of locals had taken up fishing in the caverns. That nonsense has been halted.

The dead were interred, or memorialized if the bodies couldn't be found. The ghosts are now gone. We have a well with fresh water in the food storage, and a new furniture storage area. The mason teams are working themselves ragged, churning out blocks for defensive structures. The depot has been relocated within our walls, and a defense system is under construction.

With Melek's help, I found some healthy dwarves to throw into my gang of armed bastards, and some less-fit dwarves to begin training with crossbows. These will act as "prison guard" during caravan season. I assigned Deler, one of my first followers, to lead them. He chose to call them The Mighty Cudgel-Roads. Whatever floats your boat, mate.

At the end of it all, I was exhausted and in desperate need of a drink. I gave a couple of miners the instructions necessary to begin digging an execution chamber, then made a beeline for the booze stocks.

I swear I didn't see the masked dwarf all day.

I took off Emdief's blindfold. The lad looked around, confusion in his eyes. Clearly, he had no idea where we were. I'm not sure he was even around when this thing was put to use.

"Sorry about the blindfold, lad. This isn't the sort of place I want everyone to know about."

I followed his gaze, knowing exactly what he was looking at. The center of the room. The lever. The massive system of tubes, valves and other mechanical doodads I couldn't identify, stretching upwards into darkness even the dwarven eye could not pierce, and thicker pipes snaking along the ground, some sinking into it, others entering the tunnels at the far end of the room. None of it had been dismantled. All of it gathering dust and cobwebs.

Now that I looked at it, it struck me that the whole thing kind of resembled a massive tree. Must have been Lenehan's idea of a sick joke.

"So, what do you make of this, lad? Do you know what this is?"

Almost three months had passed since my takeover. Progress was slow, but it was happening. We had trade goods now, as well as vast piles of food and booze. The human caravan had come, and we'd sold them vast piles of crap - some of it stolen - for supplies, wood and assorted bars of metal. The mayor even negotiated a sweet deal to get us some valley herbs. Those make pretty good contraband once processed, and the law regarding its consumption had been lifted at the mountainhomes just a few years ago. We just needed some vials.

I had spent that time training our newfound defenders - though there weren't a whole lot of them. Most of the labor force was busy keeping us afloat and fed. We didn't even have clothiers yet, and most clothing around the place was falling apart. I think I had gained some of Emdief's trust in the meantime, but it still took plenty of assurance to get him to come here, and even more assurance that we had nothing to do with the masked dwarf other than keeping his followers safe. He could cover his own hide quite admirably. Most of us hadn't seen him in weeks.

Footsteps outside, approaching fast. Tirist and I unslung our weapons, turned toward the entrance.

It was Morul, and by damn she looked flushed.

"There's a problem, chief," she told me. She sounded scared, which isn't something that happens often. Girl might be troublesome, but she  has nerves of steel.

"What is it, lass?"

"The kid, chief," she says, voice quivering. "The one what went missing."

Gnorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2013, 02:29:49 am »

Corley's Log:
Apparently some one told that brute Rhaken that he was in charge. I was just on my way back into the family chambers when I found him and his gang breaking into it. Startled, I absconded into one of the vacant cells in the lower cellblock. Later, he ordered the entire population of the fortress to congregate for a speech of his. Naturally, there was resistance to his demands, but his thugs were able to put them in line quickly. I stood out of sight, for I feared he might use me as a scapegoat for the prison's issues, considering what my father did. His speech was brief, he pointed out that the charade of being an actual penal colony must be kept and suddenly the whole prison is dancing in the palm of his hand. Even Melek, my dear kin, volunteered to join his effort.

I'll need to put a stop to this before it gets out of hand. I've read the papers my father kept on the prisoners; Rhaken's a damn crook, but he's got a militia, so he's the bloody king of Steelhold! By the time the annual inspection is over, he'll have the entire prison under his control, and this place will become his royal palace. I'll have to lay low and try to find a way to take down his gang quietly. I'm moving to the lowest and darkest cells of the prison. Perhaps I'll volunteer for magma forge duty.

Melek found the following missive on her operating table.

Dearest cousin,

I must heavily advise against continuing with your participation in Rhaken's schemes. The thug wants nothing more than to reign over this prison as a king. As soon as you've completed all of the duties he needs you for, he'll have you locked away in a harem for the rest of your life. I write only out of care for my cousin, and I'd hate to see such terrible things happen to you. Destroy this letter once you have read it, and seek shelter in the lower cellblocks. Do not search for me.

Sincerely,
Corley

Rhaken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2013, 03:10:39 am »

VARIOUS OBSERVATIONS

#1: As this place has 207 dwarves, I'm not sure we'll be getting another migrant wave. As such, if no migrants show up in the next 3 months, I will dorf all pending dorfs from the existing population. If it happens, I'll figure out if I should call it a "migration wave" or not.

#2: Irrelevant dwarf Dumat Telingrisen has been chosen to stand in for Asmoth's daughter. Not dorfed yet, as I'm still waiting for Asmoth's reply.

#3: As I'm starting the turn from early summer, should I play until the end of this year, or the end of next year?

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2013, 03:16:44 am »

OOC: you can play at least a year, and up to the start of spring after that. Cut it short at one year if it takes too long.
IC:

"hey Rhaken, I hear der's a vampire around!"
Rhaken lifted his gaze from some reports and glared at me.
"what do you want, you crazy heckler?"
I grinned.
"Well.  like I said: there's a vampire.  Easiest way to catch a vampire is to have every bed watched 24/7.  And I still want a legendary bedroom. I don't mind sharing. "
rhaken sighed, irritation obvious in his expression.
"your point is?"
"Make a quarry. stick all the beds in the quarry and move everyone in. smooth and engrave, the noise isn't that big a deal once the masterwork grafiti is in place. If someone acts up, THEN you move them to solitary confinement and the risk of vampire attacks."
Rhaken pondered. "it does have merit."
I grinned. "Are you kidding? I've done it dozens of times in dozens of forts. And the BEST part is, we now have a proper excuse for having a nice bedroom for everyone. Just think about it, mkay?"
"...there's more to you than a crazy craftsdwarf, isn't there."
I nodded.  "oh, and you were SUPPOSED to find this diary of mine after your speech.  We should requisition more wood from the traders, unless you feel like sending half the fort down into the caravans to chop wood.  "
When I left, Rhaken's face was still oscilating between at least three different emotions. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:23:18 am by fractalman »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 47